EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 10 Feb 2005, 03:10 AM   #1
Internet Idiot

Question Internet Explorer Upgrade

I have Windows 98 and my browser is really slow. Not on all sites. Mainly I notice it takes forever for pages to load on Hotmail and Yahoo. I need to speed things up a bit so I don't turn into a senior citizen while I'm waiting! I have an anti-spywear program, virus scan and pop-up blocker on my computer. I run them weekly
and all show zero problems. I don't know what version of IE I am using right now. Can someone please tell me how I determine that? I have never upgraded my browser. I've been using the one I have now since I bought this computer in 1999. I logged on to the Microsoft website and see that they have a download for a free upgrade. IE 6 I believe it was. I'm not too familiar with downloads other than the spywear and pop-up blocker I have and would like to know how to ensure that I'm downloading the proper program for the Windows 98 version. Any and all help will be greatly appreiated. Thanks.

-Internet Idiot-
Internet Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Feb 2005, 05:11 AM   #2
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

First of all, to find the version of IE you're using, open it then click on Help on the top row menu bar.

Scroll down to About Internet Explorer and click.

Next, you will see the version you're using currently on the first line.

To download IE 6, go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

In the future, all updates for Windows 98 and IE 6 can be obtained by typing in http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com in the address bar the first time. You can bookmark the link after you get there or opt to get automatic notification of new updates.

The automatic notification puts an icon and link in the System Tray (where the clock is) and makes updating easier because you don't have to remember to check the web site often.

Even if you try to go to Windows Update with a browser of 4.0 or less, you will still be able to update to a newer version because Windows Update requires at least 5.0. If you don't have 5.0, an error page will provide a link to download a newer version of IE anyway. They've got it covered

Hope that helps.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2005, 05:20 AM   #3
trew

Are you on ADSL?

If your on Dial Up internet then it will be less costly to go to nearest Communal Library and loan or borrow a Computer mag that have CD rom with IE 6 for win 98 on it. Or talk to people at work or scholl and they have the CD.

Or go to nearest Computer shop or Radio TV Shop or even some Mobile shop and they have Free CD from ISP with win 98 compatible IE6 for free on it.

trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:27 AM   #4
Internet Idiot

Question Internet Explorer Upgrade

Thanks for the help. I did the check and I hav IE 5. So will it help
pages load faster if I upgrade to IE 6? When I did a Google search of free downloads of IE, I found a couple websites that offer it. I don't recall if one of them was on the Microsoft website or not. I logged on there to see what they had to say, but I don't
actually recall if they offer a free download or not so I'll have to do
some more checking. Again, thanks for the input. It's got to the point where I post here first before I download anything. Everyone here is very knowledgeable. I have learned a lot, and I've found more help here than anywhere else. Thanks again.

-Internet Idiot-
Internet Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:32 AM   #5
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

You might also consider running windows update to fix most of the security holes, and them download a better browser, like Mozilla Firefox

Updating your browser is unlikely to speed things up. A complete windows reinstall might help a bit.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2005, 08:48 AM   #6
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
You might also consider running windows update to fix most of the security holes, and them download a better browser, like Mozilla Firefox

Updating your browser is unlikely to speed things up. A complete windows reinstall might help a bit.
Indeed.

I would highly recommend going with Mozilla Firefox. It speeds up pages significantly.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2005, 10:08 AM   #7
trekker

There are quite some factors that will affect your browsing speed.

(1) The CPU speed.
(2) The brower.
(3) The service you subscribed, i.e. 56K dial-up or boardband such as ADSL.
(4) Some settings in the Windows 98.

There is nothing could be done on (1).

If you have choosen to use IE, then there would have nothing to be done on (2).

As for (3), the minimum requirement for the CPU speed on using ADSL is 166MHz. (Really slow if you are having this configuration)

However, you can use a software to do some tuning on our Windows settings, point (4) mentioned above. I'd recommend CableNut, a tool for optimizing your Internet Connection. I've been using it on both 56K dial-up and ADSL with Win 98 SE machine having CPU speed 166MHz and 366MHz, it do significantly improve the browsing speed.

On the othe hand, you could visit the speedguide.net for some other advice. If you are using windows 98 SE, remember to do a patch on the NDIS Intermediate Driver. Otherwise, there may be system hangs on Startup or Shutdown.

Firefox is good, but if you have a machine with CPU less than 233 Mhz, Firefox System Requirements , it'll be really slow.

trekker
trekker is offline   Reply With Quote