EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 May 2012, 09:46 AM   #1
jdmc

Question "Check Names" button

Whatever happened to the "Check Names" button in the Compose screen of the FM Web interface? I haven't seen it in a long time, despite the fact that it's still described in the online help.

Thanks,
~ Justin
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 May 2012, 11:13 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Lightbulb Over 3 years ago

In November 2008 the interface which is now the default was rolled out as beta. This is when the tokenizer (immediate address lookup) was introduced, and I think the Check Names button was removed at that time. Obviously the help wasn't corrected. Then in February 2009 this became the default interface at the current URL (http://www.fastmail.fm).

Once the address lookup became immediate as you typed, there was no good reason for the button. When you tab or otherwise move to the next field, the addresses are checked and tokenized automatically.

Here is more about the introduction dates and features of the various interfaces:
Fastmail beta AJAX, beta HTML, normal, and old web interfaces

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 12:08 PM   #3
jdmc

Yeah, I remember that transition. I like the current interface. I guess I'm confused because my addresses are not getting tokenized properly. For example, if I create a new message and type "sheri,jford" (without the quotes) in the To: line and then tab or click elsewhere, nothing happens in the To: line; it just stays as "sheri,jford". I'm using Chrome with the AdBlock Plus extension.

Last edited by jdmc : 22 May 2012 at 12:15 PM.
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

That isn't an email address (username@domain), so maybe that person is in your online address book. The automatic address field features work fine for me with the latest version of Chrome on a Windows 7 PC.
  • You need to have javascript enabled.
    • To check this setting in Chrome, click the wrench in the upper right and choose Settings.
    • Enter javascript in the Search settings box in the upper right, then click the Privacy Content settings... button.
    • Be sure that this feature is enabled:
      Allow all sites to run JavaScript (recommended)
    • Click OK at the bottom of that screen, then close the settings tab in the Chrome browser.
  • Log into the normal Fastmail site (http://www.fastmail.fm) and enter the Options>Account Preferences screen.
    • Scroll down to the Compose section and be sure that Address auto-complete is checked.
    • Click Save Changes at the top.
    • Click Mail at the top. If you changed the Address auto-complete setting, it may take a while (no more than one minute) for that feature to be enabled.
    • Click Compose at the top of the screen.
    • Start entering a name or email address in the To field. As you type, you should see matches dynamically shown from your online Address Book.
    • If you want to use an email address which isn't in your address book, just enter the full email address (username@domain).
    • When you tab or click away from that addressing field, the entries you made will be tokenized.
    • If you want to add several addresses, just use the Enter key after you have found each one. They will be tokenized one by one and added to the To field.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote