EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Oct 2003, 04:17 AM   #1
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs down Awful songs

What are the worst songs you've heard?

One I remember from the '70s or '80s had the lyric "in my life there's no place for the man that I love", which to my mind is a contradiction in terms.

Then there was an earlier one (late '60s?) called First Impressions with the lyric "then you can command respect"; this embodies what I've found to be a common delusion amongst the very stupid, that respect is something that can be had on demand, like baked beans.  At least, I hope it's a delusion; for if not, then respect is no more valuable than baked beans, and we all know how cheap they are...

I've focussed on lyrics, but any criterion of naffness qualifies...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Oct 2003, 05:57 AM   #2
kchess79
Master of the @

Re: Awful songs

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
this embodies what I've found to be a common delusion amongst the very stupid, that respect is something that can be had on demand, like baked beans.  At least, I hope it's a delusion; for if not, then respect is no more valuable than baked beans, and we all know how cheap they are...
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you. I've actually been asked, "Can't you just pretend to respect them, even if you really don't?" How do you fake respect? You can't force it, or fake it...you either want to give it because it's deserved, or you don't, because you feel it isn't.

I'm sure I can find some songs that are awful, for any amount of reasons...but right now I'm going to DJ at a party. I bet some of the songs I play will fall under the "awful" category.
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2003, 06:33 AM   #3

Where to begin... I've got heaps of songs to add to this list! I'll reply this arvo when I've got some spare time!

Dan
Old 26 Oct 2003, 07:14 AM   #4
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

One of my favourite bands is guilty of this. R.E.M have some great songs that I find myself singing along to. But on closer inspection very few of their lyrics make any sense. You kind of understand what message they're trying to get across from the mood of the music, so if the act is good enough, they can get away with naf lyrics! Can you relate to this?

Malc {pushing an elephant up the stairs!}
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2003, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
...so if the act is good enough, they can get away with naf lyrics! Can you relate to this?

Malc {pushing an elephant up the stairs!}
Yeah I'd agree. Kylie Minogue is an example of this - great performer, tho her songs could be lyrically stronger. (but danni minogues lyrics are even worse - but danni does a good radio show - neon nights, so that makes up for it )

dan
Old 26 Oct 2003, 08:25 AM   #6
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Few songs actually make me cringe, but the recent ones involving a duet with an R&B girl and a rapper are dire.
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2003, 03:20 PM   #7
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MAILfreak
Few songs actually make me cringe, but the recent ones involving a duet with an R&B girl and a rapper are dire.
I agree, I thought that this was just an age thing for me, but the format is virtually identical in so many songs. The song often sounds pretty good until the rapper starts. It wouldn't be quite so bad if you could understand what he was saying!

Malc
Old 27 Oct 2003, 02:25 AM   #8
kchess79
Master of the @

Quote:
I agree, I thought that this was just an age thing for me, but the format is virtually identical in so many songs.
It can't be an age thing. I'm only 24 and I'm always ranting about the billboard top 100 and how I'm hard-pressed to find 2 or 3 songs that I can listen to without cringing. I'm a musical elitist, it's one of my failings
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2003, 02:58 AM   #9
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
I agree, I thought that this was just an age thing for me, but the format is virtually identical in so many songs. The song often sounds pretty good until the rapper starts. It wouldn't be quite so bad if you could understand what he was saying!

Malc
True... but when it comes to Kelly and Nelly, kelly is so much worse.

Cheeky girls... ugh...
Old 27 Oct 2003, 04:01 AM   #10
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

I wish I could fly ~ Orville (the duck)

Grandad ~ Clive Dunn

Long haired lover from Liverpool ~ Jimmy Osmond

Malc
Old 27 Oct 2003, 04:15 AM   #11

Quote:

Malc
Its funny you say that - I'm always telling my dad how his 70's collection all sounds the same - it has a 'tin/scratchy' rock sound to it

dan
Old 27 Oct 2003, 06:13 AM   #12
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
That is one certain song I'd give the landlord all my wages to take the record off the jukebox permanently!
Old 27 Oct 2003, 11:54 PM   #13
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I remember Richard Stilgoe saying that he's from Liverpool, and when that song came out he also had long hair... I don't recall exactly what he said about that song, but I think it involved strangling Jimmy Osmond.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2003, 12:44 AM   #14
glebarr
Essential Contributor

Angry

anything by Eminem, the guy just sucks big time and is totally devoid of musical talent...
glebarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2003, 03:06 AM   #15
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
I remember Richard Stilgoe saying that he's from Liverpool, and when that song came out he also had long hair... I don't recall exactly what he said about that song, but I think it involved strangling Jimmy Osmond.
Can anyone blame him?

To be fair, JO is much better now... could that be because you seldom hear about him?