EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Dec 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Artseller63

New user: can I import email from other provider?

I have a couple hundred emails I would love to bring over from my immediately-previous provider - if they allow export, can Fastmail import them? (I don't seem to be able to navigate to a place where it can...)

Thank you...
Artseller63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Dec 2013, 08:18 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artseller63 View Post
I have a couple hundred emails I would love to bring over from my immediately-previous provider - if they allow export, can Fastmail import them? (I don't seem to be able to navigate to a place where it can...)

Thank you...
Welcome to the forums!

There are a few ways to transfer email from another provider into Fastmail.

One simple way for a small number of emails (a couple of hundred is not many) is to forward them as attachments (which most email clients support) from your old account to your Fastmail account and then use a feature that allows the attachments to be extracted back to individual messages.

If your old provider supports POP or IMAP, you can use a desktop email client, such as Mozilla Thunderbird, to download the messages from the old server and upload them (using IMAP) to Fastmail. This is a more efficient method for thousands of messages.

There are also special programs that can be used to upload emails in various formats using IMAP.

If you want to share with us who your old provider is, we can probably advise you better.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Artseller63

Previous email provider

My previous email provider was Comcast (comcast.net). One of the reasons I signed up with Fastmail was to AVOID the use of a client, as I particularly enjoy the simplicity of ONE layer of software to handle email.

Thanks!
Artseller63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Select "Advanced" from the top-left menu then select the "Migrate IMAP" screen. You can import all your mail using this tool (as long as your previous provider supports IMAP).
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2013, 03:36 AM   #5
davy51
Master of the @

A very easy way

First move all saved emails to comcast inbox
second mark all as unread

third set up comcast in fastmail as a pop account

fourth pop all the emails to fastmail

They will come over as originals

Im not sure comcast is imap or not but this way will give you the emails in original form
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote