EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 May 2003, 10:40 AM   #16
mailboy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by redmyrlin
95% or 96% I believe
Proof that the majority aren't always right.
Since when has it become the question of right or wrong?
mailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2003, 06:52 PM   #17
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mailboy
Since when has it become the question of right or wrong?
It hasn't. I was being jocular.
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2003, 06:28 AM   #18
admiralu
Essential Contributor

Cool Well...

If you like it and it works for you then more power to you. When I had an account there, it was only 30MB of storage. I just didn't use it that much. I still think that they are pricey for the amount of services received. I have a full account at FastMail with more features and 50MB of storage for $19.95 a year and one with MailSnare with 50MB of storage and lots of features. Oddpost can't match the list of features that these two and even Runbox have.
admiralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2003, 09:03 AM   #19
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by admiralu
If you like it and it works for you then more power to you. When I had an account there, it was only 30MB of storage. I just didn't use it that much. I still think that they are pricey for the amount of services received. I have a full account at FastMail with more features and 50MB of storage for $19.95 a year and one with MailSnare with 50MB of storage and lots of features. Oddpost can't match the list of features that these two and even Runbox have.
True, but doesn't FM have a opening charge as well as the subscription fee?
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2003, 10:15 AM   #20
psalzer

Not anymore, I don't think. The set up charge of $14.95 also gave you a lifetime member account, so it wasn't really just an opening charge, but I believe you no longer have to pay that. Of course, if you don't renew your account now goes to guest status instead of member.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2003, 04:01 AM   #21
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Well...

Quote:
Oddpost has a very elegant interface, good spam filtering (I find it better than .FM's) and an extremely elegant UI. Personally, I find it worth the $30 for its elegance and ease of use.

I know quite a few .FM users who rave about being spam free (for example) until the start getting spam having not realized that they have to 1) enable spam filtering and 2) set up filters!

There is much to be said for Oddpost's approach. I just don't think that they are overly concerned about buidling a public user base, as they really seem geared to selling licenses to corporations, etc.

As for a feature comparison, there are other services which certainly offer much more than fastmail.fm does .... so you can go on comparing all day
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2003, 03:25 AM   #22
admiralu
Essential Contributor

Cool Yes we can.

And find that many don't add up! If it works for you fine. However, Oddpost doesn't have as many features as FastMail, Runbox or MailSnare. Oddpost mimics Outlook's elegant interface.
Old 21 May 2003, 05:42 AM   #23
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Yes we can.

Quote:
And find that many don't add up! If it works for you fine. However, Oddpost doesn't have as many features as FastMail, Runbox or MailSnare. Oddpost mimics Outlook's elegant interface.
I think that you may be missing the point. The strength of Oddpost is its elegant, fast, and fluid interface. I also find that Spam filtering is very effective. Combined with 50 MB of space, etc., its a pretty compelling option.

I don't think that they appeal to the same customer base. For all of its power, .fm lacks many features found in VisualOffice (for example) and many find its interface to be its worst part.

I use FM, Runbox, and Mailsnare, and along with Oddpost they all have their strengths and weaknesses. However, I believe that Oddpost as a company is much more focused on providing a corporate licensed solution vs. a consumer subscription service.
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2003, 06:35 AM   #24
squabsy

As a user of both Mailsnare and fm I'm intrigued what features (apart from the calendar) are in VO that are not in fm ?
squabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2003, 09:01 AM   #25
kchess79
Master of the @

Task
Calendar
Detailed address book (able to add home address, notes, even a photo)
Boomarks
File Storage
Journal
Am I forgetting anything? I don't have my VO open...
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2003, 07:40 PM   #26
marc@ms

Quote:
Originally posted by squabsy
As a user of both Mailsnare and fm I'm intrigued what features (apart from the calendar) are in VO that are not in fm ?
Well ...

- HTML composer with the ability to use 'stationaries'. In a stationary you can define: a custom background image, background color, background sound, fonts, colors, margins, default message and more.
- Extended address book
- Distribution lists (gives you the ability to f.e. maintain a mailing list!)
- Reminders/alerts to e-mail, ICQ, cellular phone or pager.
- Calendar (with reminder feature)
- Tasks (with reminder feature)
- Journal
- Notes (which you can organize in unlimited categories)
- Bookmarks (so that you have access to all your important sites on the road)
- File storage (with the ability to forward files to others, right from within the file storage)
- Extended mail filters with multiple conditions and actions like: make a copy of the message in another folder, send a reminder, forwarding the message to an e-mail address OR distribution list ('mailinglist'), marking/flagging the message. This is all easily done in an easy interface without having to program ....
- Sharing parts of your 'Visual Office' with other. With of course the ability to define rights per user.
- TMDA SPAM filtering
- Auto-Responders with dynamic tags

---
Marc
marc@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2003, 08:24 PM   #27
squabsy

Ok Thanks for those....

Some are more useful to be than others for example I don't use HTML mail and I actually have quite enjoyed learning to write Seive scripts.

What about you other FM'ers what advantages do you think FM has got over VO ?
squabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2003, 10:22 PM   #28
kchess79
Master of the @

In almost all cases, if one interface is down, the other is working (if VO's not working, you can still access your mail in IMP, and vice-versa). This isn't true all the time, but in most cases, I've found that this worked for me.
kchess79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2003, 02:32 AM   #29
admiralu
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Yes we can.

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
I think that you may be missing the point. The strength of Oddpost is its elegant, fast, and fluid interface. I also find that Spam filtering is very effective. Combined with 50 MB of space, etc., its a pretty compelling option.

I don't think that they appeal to the same customer base. For all of its power, .fm lacks many features found in VisualOffice (for example) and many find its interface to be its worst part.

I use FM, Runbox, and Mailsnare, and along with Oddpost they all have their strengths and weaknesses. However, I believe that Oddpost as a company is much more focused on providing a corporate licensed solution vs. a consumer subscription service.
Once again, the elegant interface is simply a mimic of Microsoft's Outlook, so let's give credit where credit is due. FM is also a fast interface and MailSnare has more features with 2 interfaces to choose from. When a company begins focusing on a corporate solution, the individual will eventually lose out. Anyone remember Visto? I loved their service and interface and they opted to go corporate only.
Old 23 May 2003, 07:28 AM   #30
mailboy
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Yes we can.

Quote:
FM is also a fast interface and MailSnare has more features with 2 interfaces to choose from. When a company begins focusing on a corporate solution, the individual will eventually lose out. Anyone remember Visto? I loved their service and interface and they opted to go corporate only.
What's your point? Oddpost lovers don't care what others offer. I'm really tired of comparisons with only a handful of major providers as if they were the benchmarks.

Oddpost is doing business the way that suits them, and those who love their service will use them.
mailboy is offline   Reply With Quote