EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 May 2002, 03:51 AM   #1
Lee

Talking Timezone question

Emails I receive from Fastmail users (via POP3) are labeled with GMT time rather than the user's own time zone, if they used the web interface to compose the email message. If the user composed the email using a mail client and sent it using the Fastmail SMTP server the timezone looks correct.

So as a test I sent myself a message using Fastmail's web interface. Sent to my alternate email account. When I retrieve it using Pocomail/POP3 the message time is 7 hours ahead of the tiem it was actually created (I'm in -0700 zone). But if I create message using Pocomail on my local PC and send it using the Fastmail SMTP server it has my local time when I retrieve it using POP3. Does this make sense?

Not an urgent issue, but it got my curiosity... Thanks!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 May 2002, 05:01 AM   #2
psalzer

I'm not sure it this is on point, but I just sent a message from the Fastmail web interface to another account and the time was right and in my timezone.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 05:04 AM   #3
munchkin

See this thread: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...light=timezone
I'm using Opera's inbuilt email client and the 'received' column displays the time in my local timezone, the 'sent' column in GMT +0000. On fastmail's preferences screen I set CST -0600.

Last edited by munchkin : 5 May 2002 at 05:24 AM.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 05:09 AM   #4
Stinger

Quote:
Originally posted by psalzer
I'm not sure it this is on point, but I just sent a message from the Fastmail web interface to another account and the time was right and in my timezone.
I've just done the same..........time was right
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 05:24 AM   #5
Lee

Thanks for that link Munchkin, I missed that one in my search.
Yes, my email client does not convert the time to local timezone for recevied messages, wish it did.

The funny thing is that if I create a message using Pocomail, send it via Fastmail SMTP, the message time is in the local time zone. Oh well, no biggie.

I think the Pocomail folks are someday going to display date/time in the local zone...
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 06:43 PM   #6
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
FastMail does send messages form the web-interface in the GMT timezone. Really it doesn't matter what timezone it puts, because the receiving end should show it in the local timezone.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote