EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Sep 2007, 07:07 AM   #1
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Google and Fastmail in bed

Whats going on here then....went to sign into my GMail account and got this:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5...tgooglecb4.jpg

Could be a Safari problem...
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Sep 2007, 07:12 AM   #2
zhak
Master of the @

A couple of cookies get smashed together?
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2007, 07:33 AM   #3
znunxnyv

I believe you can register any domain (except very knwon ones like apple.com or microsoft) without having to authorize it. I tried to register imap.cc and it let me go to the registration page.
znunxnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Question What is going on?

This is very strange. If you go to the following URL you get a Google Apps "Control panel for fastmail.fm" asking you to "Sign in to manage Weblogik":
http://www.google.com/a/fastmail.fm

Weblogik seems to be a web design company in the UK. So maybe someone there has a Fastmail address and has some customers set up for additional services. I can't google any meaningful connections between Weblogik and Google.

Since this is a Google site, I'm sure not going to enter my Fastmail login information! No telling what they would do with it.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2007, 02:29 PM   #5
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

nothing to worry on that.

I think, some one added this domain to Google mail hosting, but he/she is not having command on Fastmail.fm NS or MX records ,

but Google is still showing email login page.

This is just my idea, we can do this for any domain like hotmail, yahoo

am I right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
This is very strange. If you go to the following URL you get a Google Apps "Control panel for fastmail.fm" asking you to "Sign in to manage Weblogik":
http://www.google.com/a/fastmail.fm

Weblogik seems to be a web design company in the UK. So maybe someone there has a Fastmail address and has some customers set up for additional services. I can't google any meaningful connections between Weblogik and Google.

Since this is a Google site, I'm sure not going to enter my Fastmail login information! No telling what they would do with it.

Bill
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 05:33 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

In addition to n5bb's idea that this may be related to services Weblogik is providing for existing Fastmail users who are also their customers, there are two other possibilities as to why Weblogik has set themselves up as a Fastmail.fm Google App, neither good.
  • They are trying to suggest a link between Fastmail and Weblogik to improve their image.
  • They are looking for a way to harvest users and passwords for nefarious purposes.
Unless FM is already aware of this, it might well bear looking into. Perhaps Google needs to be asked to take it down.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 08:16 AM   #7
znunxnyv

To repeat ankupan, whoever signed it up will not be able to use the email service since they have no control over the domain.

BritTim, I agree, FM should contact google and asked the account to be removed. Maybe FM can also give google a list of their domains to block when someone attempts to register them.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 01:14 PM   #8
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I would contact them, if I could work out how! Anyone got any ideas?

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1563

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2007, 09:33 PM   #9
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
I would contact them, if I could work out how! Anyone got any ideas?
I think the folks at weblogik.biz in the UK are involved. An email to support <at> weblogik.biz would probably start the ball rolling. They also advertise a help desk on +44 (0) 1473 214935 (08:30-17:30 GMT).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2007, 10:05 PM   #10
znunxnyv

There's not enough evidence to tell who registered the domain. Could be just anyone not related to weblogik.biz at all.

This is the url to their gmail (not gogle apps) abuse dept:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/r...1&ctx=security

But they recommended contacting ic3.gov for trademark issues:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=58347

There's a form for other issues related to gmail though:
https://services.google.com/inquiry/gmail_security4

Or maybe you an contact their headquarter directly:
http://www.google.com/contact/index.html
Old 5 Sep 2007, 01:21 PM   #11
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I've tried submitting a request. We'll see how it goes.

Rob
Old 5 Sep 2007, 08:46 PM   #12
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
I've tried submitting a request. We'll see how it goes.

Rob
Ok, now it gets downright freaky...

I have a GApps account, and I tried to log today, for some reason today, I got this instead...

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/6660/freakynq1.jpg

Think I will close my non-mail google account, I don't like it at all. Whats worse is that I sent a test email and it worked. FM didnt flag anything suspicious. Rob do you want a copy of that test email so you can see whats going on?

Last edited by walesrob : 5 Sep 2007 at 09:00 PM.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2007, 08:29 AM   #13
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I think that's just an artifact of the way google does authentication. Basically it seems googles central authorisation system allows you to create google wide accounts using ANY email address. That's fine, except it gets a bit weird when you then try and use gmail from your google account that you created with an @fastmail.fm address. As noted when you try and do that it says.

Quote:
Once you complete this form, your Gmail username will become your new default email address as well as the primary address identifying your Google Account. Your previous email address will remain a part of your Google Account and you may continue to log in with that address if you prefer.
My guess is that you logged into your google account with your @fastmail.fm address, but you have a gmail account attached to that google account.

I think this is totally unrelated to the weblogik thing.

Rob
Old 7 Sep 2007, 03:15 PM   #14
znunxnyv

That's a good point. I forgot you can register for a google account using any email address. I used to have a non-gmail google account but deleted it since I had a gmail account.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 05:24 AM   #15
Bahb
Essential Contributor

Wink

When I rebuilt my crashed computer yesterday, using the manufacturers CD and their Support department, Google was the first page to come up when Windows began. It filled the screen and wouldn't budge. (No way to turn it off or proceed further. I won't bore you with all that happened from there, but it seemed as if I wasn't getting to any URL without going through Google. So perhaps the bedpartners are Google and Microsoft?

I finally deleted the Google stuff that was, by their own admission, "built-in" to my reinstallation of Windows XP Pro. However, I am still greeted by a "Can't Find That Page" dialog that fills the screen when I log on to Windows. and the only way I can turn it off is to run TaskManager and "kill' the process. Of course it comes back with the next boot.

It's an interesting concept.....proprietary entrance to all URLS. But I guess it's not new. MS has many defaults we all eventually learn to work-around if we don't appreciate them.

Google developers sold to some big company (can't remember which), so I guess it's to be expected that the rules of engagement would change. Not for nothing would someone buy them.

Aren't we lucky to be here watching all this new technology shifting around and sorting and sifting for the biggest bang for the buck?

Cheers,
Bahb
Bahb is offline   Reply With Quote