EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Sep 2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Sher

Address Book script hangup

When I go to Address Book, I have to wait 40 seconds, then get a message indicating a script is holding it up. When I 'Stop Script' it works fine. However, it is frustrating to have to wait 40 seconds and then stop the script every time I access the Address Book. What do I need to do?
Sher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Sep 2007, 01:36 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Lightbulb Try rebuilding account

I'm not seeing this when entering my Address book today, which has 585 entries. You can see your total in the upper right corner of the Address Book screen. How large is your book?

I recommend verifying (rebuilding) you account. On the login page, select the link Account Problems?, which is located at the bottom of the login window. Follow the instructions, and see if it finds and fixes your problem.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 01:58 AM   #3
David
Ultimate Contributor

When I first read Sher's post, I was wondering if the script might be running on the local computer (not on the web interface) hopefully that is not the case.......
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 04:02 AM   #4
Sher

David, it must be the local computer (my laptop) because it doesn't happen on my regular PC or when accessed from other PCs. What do I do in this case?
Old 2 Sep 2007, 04:11 AM   #5
Sherry

Hi Sher,

I'm a little confused on which address book you are trying to open now. Are you logging into FastMail and clicking on "Address Book" at the top or are you clicking on a different one (like the one in windows or an email client like Outlook or Outlook Express etc.)?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 05:17 AM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher View Post
David, it must be the local computer (my laptop) because it doesn't happen on my regular PC or when accessed from other PCs. What do I do in this case?
I would advise to do nothing, until you find out exactly what the script is doing; it might be a virus (hopefully that is not the case)

Have you installed any type of software recently (that might use a script) on your Laptop?

I am no Windows expert and can't help much with further advice....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 05:38 AM   #7
Sher

Sherry, it is the Fastmail Address Book. It happens when I click on it from the main/home page or from the Compose Page.

David, no new software. This started a few months ago when I downloaded an update to Mozilla Firefox (not the most recent). No viruses per Norton Internet Security.

The message I get when I try to access the Fastmail Address Book is "Warning: Unresponsive script. A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can see if the script will complete." When I choose 'stop', after 40 seconds it stops and I can use the Address Book. When I choose 'Continue', it grinds away for another 40 seconds and then the same message comes back up. Very frustrating!
Old 2 Sep 2007, 06:32 AM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
No viruses per Norton Internet Security.
Based on my experience, this is quite likely caused by an interaction between your current versions of Symantec/Norton and Firefox. I hate the Symantec stuff: cure worse than the disease IMHO.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 07:03 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Lightbulb Scripting in Firefox

Quote:
Sherry, it is the Fastmail Address Book. It happens when I click on it from the main/home page or from the Compose Page.

David, no new software. This started a few months ago when I downloaded an update to Mozilla Firefox (not the most recent). No viruses per Norton Internet Security.

The message I get when I try to access the Fastmail Address Book is "Warning: Unresponsive script. A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can see if the script will complete." ...
Please try the following:
In Firefox, go to the Tools > Options > Content tab, and insure that Enable Javascript is checked. And make sure that the Norton software allows scripting for the Fastmail website. Note that Javascript is often called "scripting" and is not the same as "Java".

If this doesn't fix the problem, I suggest upgrading to the latest version of Firefox. I use Firefox exclusively for Fastmail, and the current v2.xx works well.

Another idea: this might be due to low memory on your laptop causing Windows to page to your hard drive excessively. But my best guess is a scripting issue with Norton or Firefox.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 02:36 PM   #10
rabarberski
Master of the @

I had this warning a couple of times already on other websites, but never on the Fastmail website (both using Firefox and IE). As I remember correctly, in my case the warning was generated by the browser (i.e. Firefox or IE).

This is my interpretation of what is happening:
It only happens when there is really lots of data, and a javascript in the background is for example sorting them. The browser detects that it takes a lot of time (a lot of data, not a lot of memory?), and warns the user about this.

I suppose you really do have a lot of address book entries, and a fairly old/low on memory computer?
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 03:40 PM   #11
znunxnyv

You can try to display only 10-25 items per page.
znunxnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2007, 06:42 PM   #12
Sher

Hold those suggestions! I have to leave my laptop for several days. I'll try them when I return. (I have already downloaded the latest Firefox, which, to my dismay did not solve the problem.)

Thanks and regards, Sher
Old 3 Sep 2007, 01:21 PM   #13
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
That is very odd, it's suggesting that some javascript on the page is going into an infinite loop of some sort, but there's absolutely no reason for that to happen, the scripts run on that page are very basic and as you can see, the problem doesn't occur for anyone else.

Unfortunately this is a hard one to fix, because it would require some low level debugging in the browser itself to see what's going on.

My first recommendation would be to completely uninstall firefox, remove the profile folder (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_fo...ile_folder.3F), and reinstall in case something about the firefox install is corrupted.

The only issue, this will loose your bookmarks + plugins, so you might want to export your bookmarks first, and remember which plugins you had installed.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2007, 02:26 AM   #14
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
The message I get when I try to access the Fastmail Address Book is "Warning: Unresponsive script. A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can see if the script will complete."
I've seen Firefox give this message when some javascript on the page runs too long (clock time, I assume). I've seen it happen when I run Firefox on an old 486-based Thinkpad. It might be interesting to find out whether, with enough "Continue"s, it will run to completion. If so, it may just be an unfortunate combination of a slow computer (older machine, perhaps?) and a complex script contained on that page.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2007, 02:39 PM   #15
Sher

Smile

This is all a bit puzzling, but the problem is solved, at least for now.

I determined it was a Firefox problem on my laptop. It only happened on my laptop with Firefox (not IE); it never happened on my regular PC with either Firefox or IE. So I uninstalled Firefox as Rob suggested, except I forgot to remove my profile. When I reinstalled, it happened again and was actually even slower to stop the script. But before uninstalling/reinstalling again, I decided to limit the items per page in the address book, as suggested by znunxnyv, and it worked; I no longer get the script hanging up.

I would not have thought a 5 year old laptop with 1GB of RAM and 45% of the hard drive free would create performance issues. I also checked to see if the files needed defragmenting, which they didn't.

Anyway, problem solved; I'm happy. Thanks to you all.
Sher