EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:30 AM   #1
teacher
Master of the @

XP Service Pack 2

Is it me, or does this new service pack 2 make the computer run slow. I've checked out space and that's fine. Done all the other stuff and not a problem. My computer was running well until automatic updates down loaded the pack. Now every application seems to be running that little bit slower.

My other two computers haven't down loaded it yet (not used that often and still on dial-up), so I'm just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems?
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:54 AM   #2
Gankaku

Do a search on this forum; there is a long thread warning about SP2. Most people are waiting until later to update; I've turned my automatic update off.

In that thread, there's an article I posted about how SP2 breaks about 50 programs; you should check and make sure you're not using any of those programs; if so there are workarounds for most of them.

If SP2 is making your system slower, you should definitely send feedback to MS so they'll know.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2004, 03:30 AM   #3
kander
The "e" in e-mail

I don't notice any slowdown, personally... But I coupled my installation of SP2 with going through a checklist of which things I really _need_ running all the time, and disable other stuff, so it could be those are cancelling eachother out a bit.

I kinda like what I see so far. The security center is a bit.. pointless, but I do like the firewall, even though for me personally it's a bit pointless.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2004, 03:33 AM   #4
aznprodigy
Essential Contributor

How do I check if I have the update or not? My computer is currently set to automatic updates.
aznprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2004, 03:35 AM   #5
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Start -> Run... Type in 'winver'. If it says Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.somenumbers : Service Pack 2) then you have the SP. But I read in the paper today that they're delaying the launch even further, into early august, to give users more time to prepare.

--K
Old 27 Aug 2004, 03:37 AM   #6
aznprodigy
Essential Contributor

Thanks Kander
Old 27 Aug 2004, 03:40 AM   #7
aznprodigy
Essential Contributor

What about in the Add/Remove programs there's a Window SP2 Q######. What's that?
Old 29 Aug 2004, 11:33 PM   #8
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

I have my pc on automatic updates as well, what about this? Is it the exact same thing? Why do they bother having this when you can download it from the net for free anyway? Or is it something different?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx

Can someone please tell me? Thanks...

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2004, 11:51 PM   #9
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Susan,

Not everyone has superdeluxe internet connections, but those people need access to the service pack too. Instead of having to spend over fourteen hours on downloading it, they can just order the CD from microsoft.

--K
Old 29 Aug 2004, 11:56 PM   #10
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Okay, thankyou Kander. I actually ordered it, as it was free and I wasn't sure. I guess that that was fairly unnecessary.... oops!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 02:03 AM   #11
aznprodigy
Essential Contributor

My computer is telling me that the Service Pack 2 is ready to install. Should I or should I wait?
Old 30 Aug 2004, 02:40 AM   #12
kander
The "e" in e-mail

A few days down the line: For me, it caused no problems. But there's no telling how it will interact with programs you use, and on your configuration.

--K
Old 30 Aug 2004, 08:58 AM   #13
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by aznprodigy
My computer is telling me that the Service Pack 2 is ready to install. Should I or should I wait?
Depend on what you are using, if you are using it for games or net activities, I would suggest you install. If you have problems which you suspect XP2 is the cause you could uninstall it.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 05:14 PM   #14
teacher
Master of the @

OK, I think I've found the problem why my computer was running slow and I do think it was XPS2 related.

For those of you that have XP go and check how many user accounts have been setup on your machine. Now I know that there was only one on mine, but when I went in to the control panel to look and clicked on user accounts, I noticed that there was one extra. I'm the only one that uses my computer, but I did ask my family if they had been having a play on it. The answer was no. The alien account was setup to a user machine and web page (I'm not talking about the grey account for guest). I didn't check the website, I just deleted the account. My machine is now running faster.

The alien account was not there a week ago, so I assume it was installed for some reason by the download, since nothing else has been downloaded.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2004, 06:46 PM   #15
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by teacher
The alien account was not there a week ago, so I assume it was installed for some reason by the download, since nothing else has been downloaded.
What's the name of the account? It could be installed by some other programs or spywares instead of XP2.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote