EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 22 Oct 2004, 01:49 PM   #1
rob_au
Master of the @

Representative of:
Bluebottle.com
Flu Vaccine Spam

Quote:
Vircom, a Montreal, Canada-based provider of anti-spam appliances and software, is warning its customers and end-users to be watchful for latest spammer ploy. According to a statement, the company has begun to see emails pitching flu vaccinations, some at incredibly inflated prices.
From http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/se...le.php/3425201 - For those who are unaware, as a result of a contamination concern, British regulators announced on the 5th October that they had shut down the US-based Chiron Inc. production facility in Liverpool. This action has cut the US vaccine supply, usually 100 million doses, almost in half and in some states, mandates have been put in place as to whom the limited vaccine supply can be issued.

The emergence of a unsolicited email campaign touting the sale of flu vaccines is unlikely to be based upon a real supply of this vaccine given state statues which are in place in the US preventing vaccine re-sale.
rob_au is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Oct 2004, 07:18 AM   #2
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

They used to charge here for the vaccine and now give it for free, as they found out it was costing the health care system even more money by people not taking it. The illness itself was more costly. The United States ran out and we gave them some, the two countries share a lot of things. It would be shame if people need the vaccine and they have no access to it!!

Susan.
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2004, 02:49 AM   #3
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I'm glad that I live in the UK, which is not affected by the shortage.  Also that I've already had this year's flu jab, on the 14th October.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2004, 07:44 PM   #4
teacher
Master of the @

I've been called for mine and missed it due to work pressure! Still, interesting article and at the moment it seems that the UK may be going the say way!
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2004, 08:06 PM   #5
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Teacher!! (I am so glad to see you posting on the forum again, that is terrific! We have missed you!)

My husband, our five children and myself all had the flu shot last night. The news said that the US needed more and that Canada gave them quite a bit of it, the two countries share lots of things back and forth. The doctors' offices were jam-packed and the people waiting were really rude. We were permitted to go into one of the doctor's offices (the clinic was held where our doctor practices and our oldest son always passes out cold when he gets a needle of any sort) so that made it less of a hassle for us with five children needing the shot as well. We have been doing it for four years now and have found that it has made a big difference for us.

Susan.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 09:32 PM   #6
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
This is interesting, as I don't personally know anyone that bothers with a flu jab, or indeed why anyone who is not either very old or young or in some other way more in danger of being seriously damaged by flu would take one? For most people flu is just a bad cold that requires a few days in bed and besides there are so many strains that the vaccine can only hope to prevent what has been guessed to be the most common strain this year...

Neil
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2004, 09:46 PM   #7
rob_au
Master of the @

Representative of:
Bluebottle.com
Quote:
Originally posted by neilj
This is interesting, as I don't personally know anyone that bothers with a flu jab, or indeed why anyone who is not either very old or young or in some other way more in danger of being seriously damaged by flu would take one? For most people flu is just a bad cold that requires a few days in bed and besides there are so many strains that the vaccine can only hope to prevent what has been guessed to be the most common strain this year...
The current recommendations from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) as to who should be receiving flu vaccinations (in light of the current vaccine shortage) can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/whoshouldget.htm. The rationale of flu vaccinations for non-priority individuals (as described in the preceding link) is primarily based upon non-health factors, such as business productivity and cost benefits - Indeed, the Washington Post recently published an article on the impact of the flu vaccine shortage and business productivity at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...v=rss_business which includes the statistical quote - Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studies show that immunized workers have 44 percent fewer doctor visits during the flu season.

(For what it's worth, I have not obtained the annual flu vaccination over the past few years, although I did receive these previously when I was working in hospital environments).
rob_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2004, 10:10 PM   #8
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by neilj

Neil
I likely should have included the fact that I have Asthma, and all five of the children do as well, in varying degrees (mostly prevalent on the onset of a bad cold). My husband's lungs have been severely influenced from being in the military for 16 years (honourable discharge, medical for knees and back damage, not "fit for overseas duty") and also from factory work. He was a diesel engineer ( fixed tanks ) in the army and now is a welder/assembler at a factory. He is always having to use an inhaler everytime he gets a cold. Our circumstances fit the criteria of people that are meant to get the shot. Our doctor likes us all to get it and we have been much healthier these past 4 years since doing so; so, in our particular situation, it is both advisable and worthwhile.

Susan.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 01:11 AM   #9
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

How common is it though? I've had the kind of virus that a lot of people pass-off as flu, but I don't think I've ever had the real thing where it's a struggle to even get out of bed.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 07:28 PM   #10
teacher
Master of the @

It's not common, but the real thing is a killer. Most healthy people will get over it, but for the very young, the old and those of us that suffer with some sort of bronchiole defect, it does and will kill.

Interesting Early Warning of the "virus" kind.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2004, 02:56 AM   #11
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

^^ Also those with weakened immune systems (I qualified for a flu jab when I was diagnosed diabetic, although I suspect I would qualify due to my heart and breathing troubles)...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2004, 12:23 AM   #12
tonyB

The influenza virus proper usually only strikes an individual every 10 years or so, and when it does it causes a severe illness that can last up to 2 weeks. The virus changes each year ('antigen shift') and when it has changed enough, your previous immunity no longer protects you.
Every thirty to forty years, a completely new strain appears, and can cause a huge pandemic. The 1919 influenza pandemic killed more people in the UK than died in the First World War. The big problem is secondary pneumonia, especially staphylococcal, which kills quickly and ruthlessly.
In the UK, most flu jabs were not sourced from the Chiron factory in Liverpool, but there are still some shortages, especially in N. Ireland.
See the NHS Direct site for recommendations as to who is eligible in the UK.
GPs have targets set (equals money) for immunising the over 65s.
Please excuse rather lengthy explanation
tony
tonyB is offline   Reply With Quote