EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 28 Mar 2019, 07:41 PM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Google AMPs up email

Not a fan of this--interactive emails. I wonder what the first exploits of this will be? Luckily, at least at first, we can turn it off if we want to.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...x-into-an-app/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Mar 2019, 05:52 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Tutanota doesn't like AMP for email. https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/amp-email-bad-idea
Old 29 Mar 2019, 08:27 AM   #3
EricG
Essential Contributor

Ars explains it better than Android Police. People can examine the Javascript library so they know what it does. I doubt it allows autoplay. I wonder if it will share cookies with a browser or between messages?

I remember when Outlook Express came out with IE 4. It had full HTML including scripting. People pointed out this was a bad idea and an option to disable it was added.

The Tutanota guy doesn't seem to understand AMP. It's Javascript and Iframes that slow down web pages, not tracking (whatever that means).
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2019, 08:31 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Since Google stopped scanning your emails for ad targeting I suspect this is an even better way of tracking your online characteristics since all of these calls for web information will be funneled through Gmail and Google. As it stands now, you might click on a link in an email, but you might have Firefox or Safari set up as your browser. Or, if you go direct to a URL there is no direct tie to an email. This will provide lots of information on how you react to different types of email marketing.