EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:39 PM   #151
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
I wonder about the records in "Files" and "Notes" tabs in my new PolarisMail account. Whose information is at that? How did it get there? Looks like it may be other members of this forum.
William9, Could you explain a little more about what you're seeing in your account?

Hopefully you're not seeing other members of EMD's files or notes in your account.

That would be scary. Please let us know ASAP.

Anyone else with one of these free accounts noticing what William9 is seeing?

I have uploaded many personal pictures and family info and was wondering if I should delete it?

Thanks

Last edited by curvefan : 12 Sep 2010 at 09:49 PM.
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:16 PM   #152
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
I wonder about the records in "Files" and "Notes" tabs in my new PolarisMail account. Whose information is at that? How did it get there? Looks like it may be other members of this forum.
I'm seeing the same thing under Files and Notes.

Some of the names are the same as user names on this Forum.
It seems that anyone in the address book of anyone's account is listed within "Files".
I had simply never looked in there before.

A very large and obvious privacy breach in my opinion.
We really are George's guinea pigs.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:20 PM   #153
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr View Post
I'm seeing the same thing under Files and Notes.

Some of the names are the same as user names on this Forum.
It seems that anyone in the address book of anyone's account is listed within "Files".
I had simply never looked in there before.

A very large and obvious privacy breach in my opinion.
We really are George's guinea pigs.
Thanks nbarr,

Are you just seeing user names, or are you able to see their personal info as well?

Deleting my info now.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:25 PM   #154
nbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post
Thanks nbarr,

Are you just seeing user names, or are you able to see their personal info as well?

Deleting my info now.
I can see names from the address books but fortunately no other associated info.
You mentioned uploading photos and family info, I could not see anything of that sort.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:35 PM   #155
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I can see names from the address books but fortunately no other associated info.
You mentioned uploading photos and family info, I could not see anything of that sort.
Thanks again,

I can now see what you mean about seeing other members contact info and real names associated with members of this forum.

Totally unacceptable. Cannot trust this account any longer.

It's gone
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:35 PM   #156
walesrob
Essential Contributor

I'm also getting the same as you guys, but each contact has access denied error messages. All I see is just names, nothing else, no email addresses or personal stuff. It seems to be a global address book and/or global file storage affecting all users, I don't know.

I did email George about it a few days ago, he said he's working on a fix right now.

In a meantime, I'm using the SquirrelMail interface https://sqmail.emailarray.net/src/login.php until its sorted.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 11:25 PM   #157
B4its2L8
Master of the @

I'm seeing this, too, but if I try to view one of them (like under "contacts" or "companies") I get an error message saying
Quote:
An error occurred on the webserver. Contact your system administrator and supply the detailed error.

Access denied

JsonStore load exception occurred
So at least I can't actually see any of them !

Do you get this or are you all actually seeing the information ?

Do you see one called "Smileys" ?

Edit: Oops ! Just noticed walesrob's comment about the error message, too !
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 11:32 PM   #158
shenton
Essential Contributor

Wow! Haven't looked under files and notes before because I hadn't added any but I can see usernames there too under files and details for someone under notes. I can't open them but this is a real privacy protection gone sour issue!!
shenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2010, 11:45 PM   #159
B4its2L8
Master of the @

One of those listed under "Contacts" is mine. That is, my name. Unfortunately, access to it (to delete it) is denied even for me !
Old 13 Sep 2010, 12:01 AM   #160
nbarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
One of those listed under "Contacts" is mine. That is, my name. Unfortunately, access to it (to delete it) is denied even for me !
You can access the Contacts of your own account from within "Addressbook" at the top of the interface.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 12:20 AM   #161
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
hi guys.

It seems indeed there was an unwanted sharing of very limited contact data in between users of the promotional accounts. I went ahead and disabled the File/Notes modules until we get this sorted out.

I apologize for this and will re-enable those modules shortly after the permission problem has been fixed.
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2010, 12:22 AM   #162
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
You can access the Contacts of your own account from within "Addressbook" at the top of the interface.
Yes, I see on the left of the Addressbook page two listings:

All Addressbooks
Mylastname, Myfirstname

I don't yet have anything actually in any addressbook, so there's really nothing to delete as far as that goes. But mylastname, myfirstname was showing up under contacts (with a bunch of others I don't know), so I was trying to delete it from that more public 'location.'

I just noticed that the Files and Notes tabs are no longer available. George must have taken them away while a fix is in progress.

Edit: I see George beat me to that comment. Thanks, George, for the update !
Old 13 Sep 2010, 04:35 AM   #163
shenton
Essential Contributor

Well, files and notes haven't been disabled in my account as George says... I still have access to those modules and can still view the data as before!
Old 13 Sep 2010, 10:20 AM   #164
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenton View Post
Well, files and notes haven't been disabled in my account as George says... I still have access to those modules and can still view the data as before!
Your account has been reset as well. We will re-enable the functionalities soon but with the sharing disabled.

Sorry about this - the software by default is set to heavily share among users of the same domain. We offered the accounts @polarismail.net and disabled the groupware features but some still remained enabled. No actual files such as documents, photos, or real contacts was shared.

Once again, we apologize about this. No other user of the new interface was affected by this.
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2010, 03:35 PM   #165
shenton
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_B View Post
Your account has been reset as well. We will re-enable the functionalities soon but with the sharing disabled.

Sorry about this - the software by default is set to heavily share among users of the same domain. We offered the accounts @polarismail.net and disabled the groupware features but some still remained enabled. No actual files such as documents, photos, or real contacts was shared.

Once again, we apologize about this. No other user of the new interface was affected by this.
The explanation makes sense to me... thanks for the update, George.