EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 19 May 2015, 07:24 AM   #106
DasKevin

Representative of:
ProtonMail.ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
Hi, Kevin

Great news!

Btw, please, contact Edwin for representative status here.

Other questions:

1. I noticed at your feedback site this post. It seems to be a security issue ProtonMail needs to address soon!

2. How soon til we can send from the ProtonMail interface/account using an external mail address (e.g. johnschmidt@outlook.com) in the "from" field?

3. One more suggestion: it would be nice if, after archiving a message while viewing it, the next message would be opened automatically instead of just going back to the message list.
Great Questions! I'll make sure to contact Edwin.

1. Our team is already looking into the issue, thank you for pointing it out! In the meantime, as long as you have a strong password when sending it outside, it should be safe. This is also another reason why we have the expiration feature to allow people to permanently expire messages to ensure total privacy. Password entries are already limited on other prompts in ProtonMail for security. We will fix this issue soon.

2. Custom domains (sending from an external email address) sits high on our priority list for development. Stay tuned for updates in the future, this feature may be coming soon. (Here is our support article on it: https://support.protonmail.ch/knowle...ourdomain-com/

3. This is a great usability suggestion, I will let the team know and we will see what we can do.

Thank you! As always, you can submit any feature requests to our Feedback Forum which you can find on the footer of https://protonmail.ch/
DasKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2015, 08:29 PM   #107
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Thank you for your replies, Kevin.

Two follow-up questions, if I may:

1. The article you linked to about PM offering 'domain hosting' noted that it will be a premium feature. That is understandable for hosting a custom domain.

But I just want to be sure. Is the "custom domain email hosting" mentioned there the same thing I'm thinking of? I'm speaking of the feature which allows either:

a) sending a message through external SMTP servers of another service (like sending a message from the Protonmail interface but through the Outlook.com servers) or

b) sending a message using Protonmail's own servers but having an external "personality" option for the "from" address (e.g. sending "as if" from "user@outlook.com"), a feature that the Roundcube webmail and the Fastmail service are known for. for example.

Neither of these options, as far as I know, is really the same thing as domain hosting (esp. the "personality" option), so I'm not sure whether I would want to pay for such a feature.

2. You mentioned the expiration feature. Something to consider there is allowing only the link to the encrypted message to expire (so that no one may access the message via the link after a certain time period).

Right now, when the link expires for the outside user the message is also removed from the Protonmail user's sent folder! Why? There are surely circumstances -- in my case it would be most of the time -- where a PM user might want to keep an encrypted message long-term, but simply wants the link to have a time limit. It should be the recipient's access to the message that should self-destruct, not necessarily the message itself. Keeping the original message indefinitely in the Protonmail user's sent folder should at least be optional -- and perhaps even the default option, IMO! :-)

Thanks again for your input here at EMD!
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2015, 12:45 AM   #108
rockman

I believe competition in this space should not be driven to win the most users of proprietary secure email services, but to compete on features, UI, usability and interoperability of secure email services.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2015, 09:46 PM   #109
Aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
I believe competition in this space should not be driven to win the most users of proprietary secure email services, but to compete on features, UI, usability and interoperability of secure email services.
Interoperability is a must. I found this project idea started by the founder of Tutanota: https://github.com/intermail/api/wiki
Aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 12:41 AM   #110
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron View Post
Interoperability is a must. I found this project idea started by the founder of Tutanota: https://github.com/intermail/api/wiki
Seems like they want develop email inside of email. For what reason? Simple key exchange API and PGP/mime would be enough imho
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2015, 05:31 AM   #111
Here today

When are e-mail aliases coming? This feature is a must to me, along with a function to download my e-mail somehow. I don't want my e-mail to remain captive on Protonmail's servers because there are no export functions.

I don't know what happened because I posted a few times on the Protonmail blog to ask about these features and my comments never showed up.

Last edited by Here today : 22 May 2015 at 05:44 AM.
Here today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2015, 08:59 AM   #112
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

ProtonMail is now open for instant activations, via:

https://protonmail.ch/privacyforall

Link will be active through JUNE 17. New accounts created by then will have 1GB free storage. After the 17th, 500MB.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 16 Jun 2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: corrected end date of promo
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2015, 11:38 PM   #113
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaterb View Post
My email says June 17th not July.
Thanks! Post edited for correct date.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 07:23 AM   #114
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

ProtonMail 2.0 Beta was released today August 13.

A brand new codebase, faster and more efficient.

The ability to export the Public Key for OpenPGP interoperability is the big change, along with encrypted attachments to non-ProtonMail users.

Version 2.0 Release Notes

New Features
  • Updated Design – A fresh update on the classic ProtonMail design. Redesigned login, composer window, settings page and message view.
  • Drag and drop messages – You can now drag and drop messages from your inbox to the folders and labels in the sidebar to move them.
  • Signature Editor – You can now have custom HTML email signatures.
  • Contacts Manager – You can now export contacts, and search them quickly.
  • Encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail users now also encrypt attachments. Non-ProtonMail users can also reply to these messages and send encrypted attachments as well.
  • New Composer – Brand new composer window with 2 modes: Popup and Maximized. You can have multiple popup composer windows open at once and can minimize them.
  • PublicKey Export – Download your PublicKey for use in other PGP compatible services – For technical PGP users, you can now export your public key to send to friends and to verify messages manually.
  • Authentication logs – You now have the ability to log access attempts to your account for security reasons. This feature is off by default and must be manually turned on.
Improvements
  • Many performance enhancements (rewritten in AngularJS)
  • Sync across multiple devices (mobile and web)
iOS and Android mobile app beta begins Aug 20

ProtonMail 2.0 has been open sourced.
(the web client - the code that runs on your computer)

https://blog.protonmail.ch/protonmai...il-open-source
https://github.com/ProtonMail/WebClient
Old 14 Aug 2015, 05:47 PM   #115
winstonsmith

Nice update, open source was about time!
winstonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2015, 04:27 AM   #116
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Non-ProtonMail users cannot yet use your exported Public Key to encrypt emails they send to you. The message will encrypt and send, but the ProtonMail client cannot decrypt the received message.

The response to my bug report:

Sorry for the confusion. At this time the public key is only to be used as a security feature. We are working on allowing receipt of mail from it.

From the Release Notes:

PublicKey Export – Download your PublicKey for use in other PGP compatible services – For technical PGP users, you can now export your public key to send to friends and to verify messages manually.

Not sure how manual message verification is supposed to work.

:/
Old 19 Aug 2015, 07:21 AM   #117
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

More media play for ProtonMail.

ProtonMail Open Sources Its Encrypted Webmail Interface
TechCrunch, August 18
Old 3 Sep 2015, 11:48 PM   #118
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

And another.

The 12 hottest startups in Switzerland
Business Insider, September 1
Old 5 Nov 2015, 09:50 PM   #119
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

ProtonMail DDoS

https://protonmaildotcom.wordpress.com/

Is this giving the impression they can't deal with this problem with the resources they have?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2015, 05:15 PM   #120
jl66
Essential Contributor

Hmmm no comments...

http://thehackernews.com/2015/11/enc...rotonmail.html
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote