EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 3 Feb 2015, 11:27 AM   #376
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Would anyone here be interested in the prospect of SpamExperts as a paid addon to MXroute? I'm curious if the idea draws any interest.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2015, 02:38 AM   #377
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post
Oops, I always forget about SquirrelMail. Adjusted configuration for it
At least it doesn't need to be updated very often, right? The stable release is almost four years old.
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2015, 05:22 AM   #378
adamlau

Quote:
Would anyone here be interested in the prospect of SpamExperts as a paid addon to MXroute?
Options are always good. It's another cool feature for you to play with...er...integrate on your end.
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2015, 06:34 AM   #379
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
Options are always good. It's another cool feature for you to play with...er...integrate on your end.
It's hard to hate life when you make money doing something that can be adequately described as playing
Old 4 Feb 2015, 01:16 PM   #380
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Would anyone here be interested in the prospect of SpamExperts as a paid addon to MXroute? I'm curious if the idea draws any interest.
I don't use mxroute, but I gotta give props to spamexperts. It blows away those freebie 'solutions'. Case in point, with spamassassin I was getting 100-200 spam mails per day. Switching to spamexperts that number has dropped down to maybe 10 per month with default setting. not sure how it would be implemented with mxroute. In cpanel I have access to spamexperts whitelists and quarantine etc.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2015, 07:15 PM   #381
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1 View Post
I don't use mxroute, but I gotta give props to spamexperts. It blows away those freebie 'solutions'. Case in point, with spamassassin I was getting 100-200 spam mails per day. Switching to spamexperts that number has dropped down to maybe 10 per month with default setting. not sure how it would be implemented with mxroute. In cpanel I have access to spamexperts whitelists and quarantine etc.
Yeah, Spamexperts is very good. Did use it with PCextreme, a Dutch hosting provider.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2015, 07:27 AM   #382
scott2020

Quote:
Yes, it is a good service. Far superior to out of the box Spamassassin with RBL's and such I have found.
scott2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2015, 07:34 AM   #383
randian
Cornerstone of the Community

How does SpamExperts compare to McAfee? They seem to be similar in how they work (a redirection front-end to the actual mail service). I didn't like McAfee, their configuration was stupid and restrictive, the web UI straight out of 2000-era Windows hell, and you couldn't template settings to share for several domains. There was often delay on the order of minutes between when an email is sent and when it gets through to you. The catch and release for the quarantine didn't work conveniently either.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2015, 07:42 AM   #384
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
I never used the McAfee service but I have found them to be excessively vague when blocking content.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 07:45 AM   #385
randian

Quote:
I never used the McAfee service but I have found them to be excessively vague when blocking content.
One thing I hated is that McAfee could silently reject emails. They were not helpful in working around this terrible feature nor would they tell you exactly when that could happen. That's one thing I liked about PoBox's quarantine, you could set it to always quarantine rather than reject so false positives wouldn't be silently discarded.
randian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2015, 08:51 AM   #386
scott2020

One other comment regarding pricing. There are some services out there that are very inexpensive. Postlayer charges $3 per YEAR per user, and those users can have unlimited user aliases and domain aliases. Spamhero charges I think $4.95 a month for unlimited users in a single domain. I would say pricing obviously would be a huge driver.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 09:03 AM   #387
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2020 View Post
One other comment regarding pricing. There are some services out there that are very inexpensive. Postlayer charges $3 per YEAR per user, and those users can have unlimited user aliases and domain aliases. Spamhero charges I think $4.95 a month for unlimited users in a single domain. I would say pricing obviously would be a huge driver.
Looks like PostLayer has a minimum of 5 users at that price. Aliases are also not the same as separate domains. You couldn't, for example, host a client of yours under their domain as an alias of yours without mixing your inboxes. They also do not list storage.

SpamHero only charges that price if paid annually and only allows 100,000 incoming messages for that rate.

I've not found a competitive price anywhere for what we offer with the exception of a cPanel web host that does not specialize in email. Charging less than we do seems unlikely with RAID, offsite backups, and a /28 to rotate through, but charging more has significant benefits. Some of these companies are offering things that I can't compare to. I applaud them for that, for sure. I mean, my offers start at less than $1/m for unlimited everything but storage. It's so low that I'd be skeptical of myself if I wasn't...well...myself. I'd be skeptical of anyone charging less though, unless they outright offer less, simply because I know what it takes and it always seems like less going in.

Last edited by jarland : 5 Feb 2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 09:53 AM   #388
nbarr

Quote:
Without having some idea what you might charge for a SpamExperts addon it's pretty difficult to answer your question.

Give us a ballpark price range perhaps.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2015, 10:42 AM   #389
scott2020

Quote:
Looks like PostLayer has a minimum of 5 users at that price. Aliases are also not the same as separate domains. You couldn't, for example, host a client of yours under their domain as an alias of yours without mixing your inboxes. They also do not list storage.

SpamHero only charges that price if paid annually and only allows 100,000 incoming messages for that rate.

Correct. I have 5 users on Postlayer for $15 a year. I have many domains and aliases added in there. The user aliases do share the same quarantine and quarantine report, but email is delivered to individual mailboxes and domains. The end destination email server is what decides that of course. The aliased users and domains would tie to one of the 5 (in my case) users and share the same quarantine.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 11:59 AM   #390
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr View Post
Without having some idea what you might charge for a SpamExperts addon it's pretty difficult to answer your question.

Give us a ballpark price range perhaps.
I'd kind of like one myself. I'm in talks with them, haven't landed on any numbers yet.

Honestly I'm still quite committed to working on SpamAssassin. I know people have bad experiences with it, but that's because most people that use it rely on out of date defaults. I've altered many of it's defaults and I'm really liking the changes that I made last week after receiving a ton of spam from clients to use as a baseline. Everything that was sent to me that landed in client's inboxes, if received today, would land in spam boxes. I don't mean from specifics on those e-mails but by generic trends within those mails. Things should be unbelievably better this week for all of my clients.

This is what I adjusted in SpamAssassin last week:

score HTML_MESSAGE 2
score URIBL_RHS_DOB 1
score URIBL_WS_SURBL 2
score URIBL_JP_SURBL 2
score AC_SPAMMY_URI_PATTERNS10 5
score RDNS_NONE 2.5
score T_REMOTE_IMAGE 2
score URIBL_DBL_SPAM 3
score MIME_HTML_ONLY 3
score HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_32 1.5
score HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_28 1.5

As a side note, I found it really humorous that a personal e-mail to me from postmaster@aol.com landed in my spam box after triggering RDNS_NONE. You'd think AOL would have proper PTR records on their staff mail server...