EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Oct 2016, 04:09 AM   #16
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Indeed, a big +1 from me for this feature as well. But it is quite clear that FM have no intention of providing it. The only mysterious thing is WHY. If you look earlier in this thread, you'll find Neilj, a member of the FM team, asking why people want to archive their sent messages. Neil, it seems like a perfectly normal thing to want to do, and lots of us want to do it. It seems so obvious and natural to me, that I feel it is incumbent on YOU to explain why you think this practice should be DISCOURAGED! Come on, FM, tell us why you refuse to give us this absolutely obvious feature! If your response is good enough, and convinces me to change the way I manage my email (I'm always open to persuasion in better ways to do things ), then I (and perhaps many others) will stop hassling you about it!
As stated in my other thread - just posted, on archive and conversations view, the FASTMAIL method of email works good for only those people that follow Fastmail's preferred workflow method.

When you start using Outlook and other offline email programs, the Fastmail view of the universe begins to break down. An endless Sent items folder ONLY complicates things - because Outlook begins to bog down after offline messages get to a gigabyte of storage. I must archive sent items to keep outlook and other email programs which cannot handle 10 years worth of sent items...

I left Apple because I don't follow their workflow, and thus, their devices with a closed ecosystem doesn't work for me.... I don't want Fastmail to do the same.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2016, 09:35 AM   #17
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Directing copies of all sent items to the Inbox instead of to the Sent folder is a stroke of genius!
I'd like to thank rusl for thinking up this brilliantly simple wheeze, and for sharing it with us.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2020, 10:05 AM   #18
ppm

Lightbulb Revival of "Swipe to Archive missing from Sent folder"

Couple of years later... reviving my request for the "Swipe to Archive" to function correctly when used in the Sent folder.

In addition, it would be good to also have an "archive" button at the bottom of the mobile interface when in the sent folder, i.e. use the same layout as in the inbox folder.
ppm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2020, 06:57 PM   #19
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Couple of years?

FOUR years later, there's rarely any FM staff here. You'll have to raise a support ticket. Let us know if FM are helpful.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2020, 09:29 PM   #20
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

this is interesting - I never thought of archiving my sent folder. This is how I have been using it (rightly or wrongly).
Archive: all the received email I want to keep (trash the rest)
Sent: all the sent email I want to keep (trash the rest)
...which, for me, makes it easier to find things.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2020, 11:02 PM   #21
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Outlook would have a problem with too many messages in a folder, so I had to archive my sent folder.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2020, 09:10 AM   #22
ppm

This is one way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
this is interesting - I never thought of archiving my sent folder. This is how I have been using it (rightly or wrongly).
There is no right or wrong way to manage our emails, simply different approaches. I just wish we would have the flexibility / option to archive "sent mails" with one button / key press

Last edited by ppm : 25 Aug 2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 20 Sep 2020, 02:59 AM   #23
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Same here, largely because most email clients are designed to show the "From" address in every other folder. When I move my sent messages elsewhere, I lose the ability to see who I actually sent them to at a glance — instead I just see my own name everywhere.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2020, 11:24 AM   #24
ppm

Thumbs up Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Same here, largely because most email clients are designed to show the "From" address in every other folder. When I move my sent messages elsewhere, I lose the ability to see who I actually sent them to at a glance — instead I just see my own name everywhere.
You are making a very good point. Using a mail app like Outlook on a PC, I have columns for both "from" and "to" in my archive, but you are right that using either the default format, or when using mobile apps, keeping sent mails in the sent box do provide such benefit, thank you
Old 20 Sep 2020, 05:33 PM   #25
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
You can use subfolders of the Sent folder, and will then see the recipients. The problem comes when you want to mix sent and received messages in a single folder, but have multiple correspondents whose messages you stored in the folder. The best I can suggest there is to use a different alias (From address) for every correspondent, combined with also using a bcc with the same email address for each message sent. That way, whether viewing the From address or the recipients, you always see the appropriate alias. Then use subfolders of Sent for these combined Sent plus Received message collection.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2020, 09:45 AM   #26
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

I get the argument about keeping sent mail in Sent because it's easy to scan to see who the receipients are, rather than seeing your own name a lot.

I keep my Sent folder mostly clean, pushing everything eventually to Archive, because Sent serves the function of reminding me who I've emailed recently that I'm waiting for a response from. When a response to a particular outbound message comes, that message gets moved to Archive. Without this, very often I would send off emails that might never get responded to, and I would completely forget about it.

I don't need to wade into the Archive to find history that often, and when I do, the advanced search functions are perfectly sufficient to see who said what when. Nowadays the latest tech available in the FM web client could probably be easily used to satify my need while still keeping all my sent in Sent, but like many people I have a habitual workflow developed many years ago.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2020, 06:49 AM   #27
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Labels and sent messages

I have been using Labels mode for a few months (since it was in beta). This allows me to view the Sent label to see the messages I have sent, but I can then easily add the appropriate label(s) to a sent message so that I can also view the message in the appropriate folders/labels. So my goal is keeping the Sent label on all messages I have sent, and adding additional labels to characterize messages.

For example, I just sent some friends a new message which had to do with a science-related topic.
  • The sent messages shows up under the Sent label/folder.
  • I can select that message inside the Sent label in the tree, then add labels as follows with keyboard shortcuts:
    • "l" (lowercase L)
    • "fri" (finds my Friends label)
    • Enter key (toggles selection of the Friends label)
    • "sci" (finds my Science label)
    • Enter key (toggles selection of the Science label)
    • CTL-Enter (saves the label selection)
I find the label feature (and the ability to add a color to a label and keyboard shortcuts) very useful.
  • I can view my Sent label/folder and immediately see which labels/folders I have associated with each sent message. The label color feature helps me find certain labels very quickly.
  • While viewing a message/thread, clicking a label name at the top (below the email subject) will open that label/folder.
  • I have an Action label, and I add that label to messages I need to handle in the next few days. So I can take those messages out of my Inbox and place them where they will reside long term, but the additional Action label allows me to quickly view these messages.
By the way, as described in this post you can find any messages you have sent using the search:
Code:
-header:X-Resolved-to
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote