EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 27 Jun 2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Unhappy New IMAP error message

I've just started receiving this message when trying to delete messages from my email client (Mail) via IMAP:

"The message "message-subject-here" could not be moved to the mailbox "INBOX/Trash - Runbox" The IMAP command "UID COPY" (to INBPX/Trash) failed for the mailbox "INBOX" with server error: Error in IMAP command received by server.

Problem on my side or Runbox's???

- Randy
Dreambiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jun 2008, 04:42 AM   #2
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Oooh, very bad. The dreaded re-downloading-everything has started again. I thought this had been fixed.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 05:38 AM   #3
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hmm. We haven't changed anything recently that should cause this error.

Does the problem persist? Are you able to delete other messages? And, did IMAP seem excessively slow at the time?

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 05:39 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambiz View Post
Oooh, very bad. The dreaded re-downloading-everything has started again. I thought this had been fixed.
The re-downloading in Apple Mail seems to be how Apple Mail handles (or doesn't handle) some errors from the server. I can't test Apple Mail so I can't be sure but I have found other reports of this type of behavior in Apple Mail.

I suspect that if the server returns an error when Apple Mail was expecting message information for a folder/mailbox, Apple Mail appears to think that folder/mailbox is now empty rather than keeping it's current list of messages for the folder/mailbox. When the server responds successfully next time it sees all the messages again but to Apple Mail these now appear to be new messages for that folder/mailbox and it re-downloads them.

What we fixed was an issue causing the error response "No, can not read message" from the IMAP server. Which apparently triggered Apple Mail's re-downloading behavior.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:00 AM   #5
rekitten

I just started seeing the complete re-downloading behavior again today as well (Outlook 2007). And for the record, no client changes.
rekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

I didn't notice any slowness but after the 20-30+ minutes of re-downloading everything, the messages were able to then be deleted without the errors.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:06 AM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
I've just started receiving this message when trying to delete messages from my email client (Mail) via IMAP:

"The message "message-subject-here" could not be moved to the mailbox "INBOX/Trash - Runbox" The IMAP command "UID COPY" (to INBPX/Trash) failed for the mailbox "INBOX" with server error: Error in IMAP command received by server.

Problem on my side or Runbox's???

- Randy
From what I can tell so far the Courier IMAP server reports "Error in IMAP command received by server" if it receives a malformed command that it can't figure out how to process.

Did you get this more than once?

Was the "(to INBPX/Trash)" just a typo on your part or was that the actual message?

Regards,
Rich
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:12 AM   #8
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Just found this too:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=423833

Sounds pretty similar but no other information.

Regards,
Rich
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:16 AM   #9
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Randy,

You said you were deleting messages .... but Apple Mail appears to be copying the messages to the Trash folder and not just setting the messages "deleted" flag (Marked for Deletion).

Is copying deleted messages to the Trash folder an option in Apple Mail that you are using?

Regards,
Rich
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:19 AM   #10
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverrn View Post
Just found this too:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=423833

Sounds pretty similar but no other information.

Regards,
Rich
One more:

http://canalapple.com/wordpress/?p=1085

Both appear to be related to move messages to a Trash/Delete folder. Could be Apple Mail is sending an incorrectly formatted command.

Rich
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Was the "(to INBPX/Trash)" just a typo on your part or was that the actual message?h
Typo, sorry.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:35 AM   #12
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Quote:
You said you were deleting messages .... but Apple Mail appears to be copying the messages to the Trash folder and not just setting the messages "deleted" flag (Marked for Deletion).

Is copying deleted messages to the Trash folder an option in Apple Mail that you are using?
Rich, I can see your confusion. I was not actually deleting messages in the 'purge' sense, but deleting uncaught spam from one of my folders. This moves the messages to the Trash folder where it remains until a purge.

- Randy
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:53 AM   #13
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I didn't notice any slowness but after the 20-30+ minutes of re-downloading everything, the messages were able to then be deleted without the errors.
Correction, the downloads are still taking place (hours later - I sent the previous message prematurely, it was just one folder that had completed) and I am still receiving the strange message when I 'delete' a message from my Inbox to the Trash.

Oh and my bandwidth usage has skyrocketed to 25% and climbing. I normally never rise above around 8% on the busiest of weeks.

Update: Bandwitdth is now DOWN to 7%. Not sure what the heck is happening...

Last edited by Dreambiz : 27 Jun 2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: update bandwidth info.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 07:55 AM   #14
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Correction, the downloads are still taking place (hours later - I sent the previous message prematurely, it was just one folder that had completed) and I am still receiving the strange message when I 'delete' a message from my Inbox to the Trash.
What kind of configuration options does Apple Mail have for deleting messages?

Regards,
Rich
Old 27 Jun 2008, 08:03 AM   #15
Dreambiz
Essential Contributor

From Mail Help:

"Deleted messages remain in the Trash mailbox on your computer or on the mail server until they are permanently erased, as specified in Mail preferences. To erase deleted messages before the specified time, choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Messages > In All Accounts or On My Mac, your account, or RSS.

If you set your account’s Mailbox Behaviors preferences to not move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox, messages remain in their original location after you delete them, and are shown dimmed or are hidden. To show or hide deleted messages, choose View > Show Deleted Messages or Hide Deleted Messages."

I've never changed the settings and it's always worked fine with IMAP on Runbox - until lately.

This is my preferred setting (to move to the Trash mailbox upon 'deletion' from a folder).