EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 May 2013, 10:56 PM   #1
TechGuy2000

Question Filter Rules for Incoming Mail

Does anyone know an e-mail host that provides (1) support for my own domain name, and (2) allows a catch-all account, and (3) allows filtering on ALL header fields?

What I want to do is to have a catchall@myowndomain.org and be able to filter e-mails based on the actual e-mail address to which the e-mail was sent. So if the e-mail was sent by bcc to newsletters@myowndomain.org, I would want to be able to filter it to a Newsletters folder. Many e-mail providers limit their filters/rules to matching certain fields, such as the TO field, but often e-mails are sent by BCC. Also, I know about "+ addressing", but that option won't work for my current setup.

Thanks!
TechGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 May 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGuy2000 View Post
if the e-mail was sent by bcc to newsletters@myowndomain.org, I would want to be able to filter it to a Newsletters folder.
The Bcc: address may or may not be visible in the incoming message, see this thread.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2013, 11:40 PM   #3
TechGuy2000

Thanks for the link. Shouldn't the header always contain the address to which the e-mail is being delivered, such as in the Received field? The receiving server has to know the address to which the e-mail is being sent so the server knows how to deliver it.

I don't really care about searching the BCC field per se. What I want is to search either a special field (e.g., X-DELIVERED-TO) or the entire header for the presence of a defined string. Thus, filter any incoming e-mail containing "exampleaddress@myowndomain.org" anywhere in the header.

Are there any e-mail hosts that allow that functionality? I could be wrong, but I don't think Gmail allows that.
TechGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2013, 11:56 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
What I want is to search either a special field (e.g., X-DELIVERED-TO) or the entire header for the presence of a defined string
Sieve script allows that. No. I'm not saying this is the only way....
Fastmail.fm supports Sieve, I'm sure it's not the only provider which does that.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 03:32 AM   #5
EricG
Essential Contributor

You can't count on RFC headers containing the delivery email unless the providers adds an X-? header. In fastmail's advanced rule settings I use if envelope contains <my-alias>. That catches spam with missing headers.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
...What I want is to search either a special field (e.g., X-DELIVERED-TO) or the entire header for the presence of a defined string. ... Are there any e-mail hosts that allow that functionality?...
Yes, Fastmail provides support for user domains (Enhanced or Premier or Family accounts) and allows you to use a catch-all for any address at your domain. Or you can force delivery to certain folders and/or external email accounts for certain usernames at your domain. Fastmail can also host your domain DNS records (at no additional cost) and provides CSV, DKIM, and SPF DNS and signing on your domain email traffic to improve sender reputation. You can also use subdomains at your domain (user@subdomain.domain.com).

You can also use rules based on the delivery address at Fastmail (as pointed out by EricG), with the following details:
  • The X-Delivered-to header is set based on the SMTP envelope delivery address. This is the address which directs the message to the recipient account, and is how BCC messages are delivered (without any headers containing the recipient address, since the sending MTA must not include the BCC addresses in the headers).
  • Fastmail provides forms-based rules which create a Sieve script to process received messages. The Message with: To/Cc/Bcc selection creates a rule which discovers any method for addressing to your account:
    Code:
    if header :contains ["to", "cc", "resent-to", "x-delivered-to"] ...
  • You can also use the Message with: Envelope selection, which uses both the envelope source and delivery addresses in a different manner:
    Code:
    if anyof( envelope :contains ["from", "to"] "address",   header :contains ["X-Delivered-to", "X-Mail-from"] "address")
  • In addition to the forms-based rules, you can write completely custom Sieve code for complex filing, filtering, or forwarding needs.
Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 10 May 2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added comments about user domain support.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 09:59 PM   #7
kangas

Representative of:
LuxSci.com
LuxSci.com does

* Provide email for your domain
* Allow catch alls and aliases and plussed addressing
* Allow custom email filters that can filter on any header.

Regarding BCCs, of course the BCC addresses are not visible in any normal field, but if the email is to only 1 address hosted by LuxSci, we do show your received address in an "X" field: "X-Lux-Processed-For:". You can use this to filter even BCC messages.

If the message is to multiple addresses at LuxSci (so the envelope has multiple addresses given to our SMTP server at the same time) then we do not fill this header with the received information as that may violate the intended privacy of BCC (allowing one recipient to see who the other one was). For most cases, this is not a significant constraint.
kangas is offline   Reply With Quote