EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Jan 2017, 08:12 AM   #1
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Namecheap Mail Aliases

On this page at Namecheap (you have to click on "tech specs") it says that the basic "Private Mail" accounts have 1 alias.

Is it really true that you only get two email addresses on your own domain? Or have I misunderstood? Is there some kind of workaround, such as a wildcard alias?

I know I can get a free trial, but I'd like to save that for a bit.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Jan 2017, 08:31 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

It depends on where you host your email, SideshowBob. You do not have to use Namecheap (which is a domain name registrar) for this and can use any email provider.

I use Namecheap for a few domain names but host my mail elsewhere.

Namecheap are a good registrar, imho, and give you free forwarding..... so you can register a domajn name with them and create many other addresses (at your new domain name) and forward them to any email account you wish.

Welcome to the forums.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:05 AM   #3
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

I'm specifically asking about Namecheap's mail accounts. I was hoping that there is a user here with that basic account. Given that 2 addresses is fewer than you get with free forwarding I wondered whether I was misunderstanding something.

At the moment I'm forwarding to a Fastmail member account. I'm fetching the mail with getmail, and not really making much use of the website, so I don't think it's worth $30, the $8 Namecheap account seems more like it.

I guess I could live with fewer addresses, but I'd need to start backing-out of them alongside the numerous FM sub-domain addresses over the next year or so.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:00 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
I'm specifically asking about Namecheap's mail accounts. I was hoping that there is a user here with that basic account. Given that 2 addresses is fewer than you get with free forwarding I wondered whether I was misunderstanding something.
It seems to me that two addresses is all you get with that particular account. Namecheap's forwarding (years ago) used to be a bit flaky but has been pretty good these last few years
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Steven Avery

Hi,

I have namecheap forwarding used for one light account, with no apparent problems.

However, using forwarding alone does not allow you to reply through the server. While articles like this one say you can just alias away (or is there another term for changing the "Reply" addy?)

Own Your Own email Address
http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/...il_address.htm

My understanding is that your outgoing email will not have the same reliability acceptance (spam filters, etc.) as when your send addy domain matches the actual outgoing domain. If I am missing something, please share away.

Using Namecheap to actually have a full-blown solid email account you go here:

Private Email Hosting
https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email.aspx

At that point, however, Fastmail, Runbox, and friends become competitive alternatives, bringing over your domain name.

Steven
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:22 PM   #6
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery View Post
Using Namecheap to actually have a full-blown solid email account you go here:

Private Email Hosting
https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email.aspx
Yes, that's the link that I gave at the top of the thread, that's what I'm asking about.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:34 PM   #7
Steven Avery

Right. I was not impressed with the value.

However, I did a 3-month (I think, maybe one month) free trial with a domain that was not in use. Using one email. Just in order to do a test email and see how it works. And it was fine. You don't have to move mailservers if you have your domain in Namecheap.

If your goal is very limited, a specific email address (with an alias possible), especially if you are going to POP download anyway, or will enjoy using RoundCube or Squirrel, you can save about $10 a year. That is the attraction I saw. It is also a good holding place while you are thinking about your plans.

If your plans are more robust, then off to one of the Fastmail, POBox, etc. Or GMail, if that works for the need.

Steven
Steven Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:40 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Transfer your domain to Gandi

https://wiki.gandi.net/en/mail

Quote:

Our free GandiMail service comes with every domain name you purchase at Gandi. Today, we manage over 1,200,000 email accounts and forward over 30 million emails per day.

Included free with your domain

5 e-mail addresses, sharing a total of 1GB of disk space
1,000 forwarding addresses and an unlimited number of mail aliases
anti-spam and anti-virus protection
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2017, 02:32 PM   #9
paul29

Gandi's email blurb says explicitly that they never back up the email, which seems to defeat the point of hosted services.

migadu.com has a free plan where they'll host unlimited mailboxes for your domain at no charge, but you can only send 10 emails per day, and they add a signature line with their blurb to each outgoing mail. You can get rid of the limit and the blurb with a paid account starting at $4 a month. Seems like a reasonable way to get occasional notifications etc. You can forward any of the mailboxes to other addresses too.

mxroute.com is full fledged hosting for your domains, no free plans, UI is cpanel-based and very clunky right now, but the backend services work well: good deliverability and spam filtering, etc. They reasonably priced and also are constantly running promotions on lowendtalk.com, so can be very cheap if you catch the right promo.
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote