EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Feb 2007, 03:15 AM   #1
vthokies96

Folders Disappearing!?

I usually use Thunderbird to access my accounts, but this is happening through the web interface as well.

This morning, I woke up and saw a few messages in various folders, but the mail server responded that the folders don't exist. In fact, the "Trash", "Drafts", and "Sent Items" folders don't exist any more! The only folders I have alive are my Inbox (thankfully) and a few subfolders I created (the first 4 alphabetically, to be exact).

Anyone else having this problem?
vthokies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Feb 2007, 03:44 AM   #2
Sherry

This may not have anything to do with your problem if you're not on "store7". You can check that by looking at the full headers of an email. Toward the top it should show the "store" your email is delivered to. FastMail Status

Welcome to the EMD Forums

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2007, 04:32 AM   #3
vthokies96

It appears I'm on store 7:

from mx7.internal (mx7.internal [10.202.2.206]) by store7m.internal (Cyrus v2.3.7-fmsvn10115) with LMTPA; Wed, 07 Feb 2007 14:09:39 -0500

So what does this mean for me?
Old 8 Feb 2007, 04:38 AM   #4
ehabshoubaki

This is happening to me too...

when I tried to delete a message form th inbox Thunderbird started giving me : Mailbox does not exist...

When I go to the web interface and refresh my folders I discover a bunch of folders are gone !

3 of them contain important work ....

please will someone from FM tell us what is happening!

on Edit : when I try to delete the msg from the web I get this:

Could not delete messages - IMAP Command : 'uid copy' failed. Response was : no - Mailbox does not exist

!!!!!!???
ehabshoubaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2007, 05:08 AM   #5
vthokies96

Quote:
Originally posted by ehabshoubaki
This is happening to me too...
Are you also on store7? I found the status page (not linked from home page) says store7 is currently having problems. I hope it can be restored soon.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 05:24 AM   #6
mikev99
Cornerstone of the Community

My wife's account has lost about half of her folders. She is on store 7m as well. Hopefully, they will be recovered -- eventually? Fortunately, all my folders are on Tuffmail.
mikev99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Sherry

If there is a problem on the store7 server I'm thinking they are in the process of moving you to a different server while the fix the problem. Perhaps all the mailboxes have not completed the move yet. (if they're even moving you?)

Sherry
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:02 AM   #8
ehabshoubaki

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
If there is a problem on the store7 server I'm thinking they are in the process of moving you to a different server while the fix the problem. Perhaps all the mailboxes have not completed the move yet. (if they're even moving you?)

Sherry
I hope the missing folders are not lost forever.I should not have put off backing them.

Thats an advantage of Pop3 , if the server is down you still have access to your old email ...
ehabshoubaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:07 AM   #9
ndoylend

I've also put off backing up my mail for too long!

I wonder if it would be possible to use an alternative mail provider like gmail as a back up system. Does anyone have rules set up to automatically copy over mails addressed to their fastmail accounts?
ndoylend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:07 AM   #10
vthokies96

Quote:
Originally posted by ehabshoubaki
I hope the missing folders are not lost forever.I should not have put off backing them.

Thats an advantage of Pop3 , if the server is down you still have access to your old email ...
You can configure your IMAP client to store your mail locally as well. I have it so that all mails are immediatley downloaded by my client. For future reference, anyway.

I doubt all our folders are gone; I'm sure there's backups they can use.
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:19 AM   #11
Sherry

I use IMAPSize to backup my FastMail email. Works great and can do "incremental backups" so running it daily would be fast once the full backup is done.

Sherry
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:31 AM   #12
trey

Yes, I nearly had an freak-attack when I saw that a bunch of my mail folders were gone. I'm on store7 as well. Tons of stuff (like most people) that are very important.

I hope they get this resolved soon with *no mail loss*
trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:32 AM   #13
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by vthokies96
I doubt all our folders are gone; I'm sure there's backups they can use.
As for lost folders I don't think I've ever heard of FM loosing any folders... They even offer to restore folders (for a cost) you accidentally deleted if requested within one week. Of course they would restore them without cost if it was a server problem.

I'm changing what I said earlier about "moving" you to a different server. I think it's more like "switching" you to the backup server they have now. With the redundant servers your email is in more than one place so if they feel fixing/working on a problem may take a lot of time they would just switch you to the backup (and not be "moving" folders).

Anyway, this is all guess work on my part...

Sherry
Old 8 Feb 2007, 06:43 AM   #14
Sherry

I think the "store7m" is the master server and "store7r" (not sure if r is what's used) is the replicated server. Are all of you still on store7m?

Sherry
Old 8 Feb 2007, 07:25 AM   #15
trey

My latest messges show 7m
trey is offline   Reply With Quote