EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: What format do you use MOST OFTEN for sending email?
HTML 3 7.69%
Plain text 26 66.67%
Plain text AND HTML option (e.g. Thunderbird) 7 17.95%
Rich text or another formatting option 2 5.13%
Decide with every email I send (please describe how you decide) 0 0%
Preferred format is saved for each person in my contacts 0 0%
Let the client decide the best format 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:26 AM   #1
idealist
Essential Contributor

In what format do you compose mail?

I'm curious in what format you all send your emails, and WHY. Some people will only use plain text, others go all out with fancy fonts, graphics and stationery.

Please select an option closest to the one you use most frequently (most likely it varies). Please tell WHY you do what you do, or give details/opinions as desired. Thank you!
idealist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Plain text. "Plain text for email, HTML for web pages". Personally, I kind of cringe when some of my friends (bless their hearts) insist on sending those 30k HTML mails with the fancy stationery and fonts and doodads, when a 2k plain text message would work just as well.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:13 PM   #3
theog
= Permanently banned =

Plain text here as well... I get a lot of emails and some of the html "ghost-busters" I get, I can't even read.

While a nice format is good on your computer, might not show up well on the other end.
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 01:57 PM   #4
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Plain text. I don't mind if people send me html mail, but I'm to lazy to bother with all the formatting etc to send it myself.

Edit: I very often use graphic smilies, but thats not really html based email!
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 02:48 PM   #5
Sherry

In a back and forth conversation I like to use a text color to easily see each reply and also like using a smiley when it fits. I think smilies can show what you're saying much better than just the written word. I don't like a lot of "heavy" stationary, graphics etc. (inserted pictures is ok and better than attachments) Not sure if that's HTML or Rich text so I didn't vote.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 07:19 PM   #6
Javier
Master of the @

Plain text but, occassionally (when the situation and/or the information requires it) I also use HTML. In this case, I use ONLY HTML option because, when sent using both formats, some email clients default to non-HTML and the text cannot be read (and most email clients and most users cannot change the vies selected by default).

Approximately, 95% of my messages are "plain text" and the remaining 5% are messages that need to use tables (and most people do not have selected a monospaced font in their email clients, therefore I cannot use spaces to create tables), messages addressed to some people that loves text formatting (and logos ;-) ) or just replied messages that I forgot to change format.
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

"Plain Text & HTML" but also "Preferred format is saved for each person in my contacts" applies as well. Most of my messages don't have much formatting in them but usually HTML handles replies and forwards better (without those little arrow things on the left). I don't get this text evangelism, it doesn't really matter, there's far more graphic intensive web page traffic out there for a few tiny double size e-mails to make any difference.

Sherry:
Only Outlook uses "Rich Text", all others use "HTML", even Outlook Express.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 08:08 PM   #8
Javier
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Bell
... Only Outlook uses "Rich Text", all others use "HTML", even Outlook Express.
And, curiously, Outlook displays and prints correctly HTML format BUT is unable to make a "print preview" of HTML formatted messages received.
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2005, 11:53 PM   #9
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
I don't get this text evangelism, it doesn't really matter...
My anti-HTML attitude hasn't really reached the "evangelistic" level yet, but that stance does seem to be based upon sound security principles. I just see HTML mail as unnecessary, for the most part. And sometimes it's just badly put together, as it's comically overstated at this site :

"6. HTML usually looks like it has been designed by stoned amateur chimpanzees using Front Page Express with their feet

HTML e-mail offers the sender the opportunity to really go to town with their lack of design skills - unreadably small fonts, fonts that no-one else is likely to have, clashing colors, badly formatted image files etc. etc. By taking control of the appearance of e-mail away from the recipient they can prevent the sight-impaired from applying necessary user-accessability options..."
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:04 AM   #10
Sherry

Quote:
Sherry:
Only Outlook uses "Rich Text", all others use "HTML", even Outlook Express.
Thanks Adrian. In Outlook Express I will choose "Rich Text" many times. OE has two choices when in new message. One is Rich Text (HTML) and the other is Plain Text. What goes on in the actual formatting I have no idea. I can only go by what they call it.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2005, 12:48 PM   #11
gdg

I will generally use plain text unless I want to include a link that may be long, but I only want to show a word or two (name the link something).
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:59 PM   #12
trew

plain text is most polite. less vulnerable for virus too
if nobody used html then some scam email would be impossible?
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2005, 08:02 PM   #13
Adrian Bell

If nobody used cars there would be no car accidents.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2005, 12:47 AM   #14
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
If nobody used cars there would be no car accidents.
Consider plain text to be a long lean mean sports car (built for speed) and html to be a big fat Cadillac (built for show) but who will win the race
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2005, 09:30 AM   #15
Prognathous
Master of the @

I love HTML. There, I said it.

I almost always use the dual format (HTML+plain-text), simply because there's no good reason not to, but it's obviously the HTML part that I like

What's so great about HTML mail? For starters, it allows me to correspond in Hebrew (my mother tongue). With the advent of HTML mail, I no longer have to resort to English (or other foreign languages) to properly correspond with other Hebrew speakers. Now isn't that nice?

In addition, I also like HTML for the following reasons:

1. Supports boldface, italics, underlines and strikethrough text.
2. Tables - real ones. ASCII art begone.
3. Bullets and Lists - with automatic indentation/formatting on both my side and the recipient side.
4. Real Hyperlinks
5. Headings
6. Color (very useful as long as it's not overused).
7. Embedded in-line images.
8. Support for out-of-charset characters (HTML Entities) e.g. ®, ת and Ж (useful for non-Unicode messages)
9. Word-wrap. My recipients can use any window size they wish, yet my mail remains readable. No "embarrassing line wrap" phenomenon to deal with (and yes, I know about the f=f workaround, but I still like HTML better).
10. Knowing that my mail will be read using proportional font (easier on the eyes than monospace, which is the default plain-text font in most clients).

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote