EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:43 PM   #136
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by lieckfeldt
I thought that's what the status page was for? This is the emaildiscussions.com...
Fair enough. Is the definition of "discussion" having everyone in every corner of the earth repeating what we already know?
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:45 PM   #137
pforkes

This is one customer they have lost

Once again they are down. I'm taking my business elsewhere.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:45 PM   #138
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally posted by pengrus
Power off? What kind of unreliable service fastmail is using? This is really unacceptable!!!
If you have any other bright ideas about how to replace a malfunctioning power distribution panel with the main database server plugged in to it, I'm sure the people at NYI would love to hear them.

Meanwhile, we're all (especially me sitting on my couch at 2:30am with my laptop on my lap so I don't disturb my sleeping wife and children) desparately hanging out for when we get all the servers, including the database, set up as replicated pairs with one server in each of 2 cabinets - so even a power component failure doesn't take us offline.

We've had more than our fair share of hardware failure recently, and we are planning to be more robust in the face of it - hopefully to the point where it takes a plane into the NYI building to knock us offline (or more likely a backhoe in the streat behind). Until then, we're doing what we can.

Me, I'm sitting here waiting for the call that means the electrician has finished wiring things up and I can power the cabinet up again. Meanwhile, I'm sitting on the forum annoying people and drinking coffee at 2:30am to keep myself awake. Rob is sleeping so he can take over tomorrow morning our time and keep any eye on things, but I really REALLY hope that by then it's all stable.

Bron.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:45 PM   #139
Sigg

Quote:
Originally posted by lieckfeldt
I thought that's what the status page was for? This is the emaildiscussions.com...
Yes - but some people don't seem to bother reading what's already been posted
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:47 PM   #140
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by brong
we are planning to be more robust in the face of it - hopefully to the point where it takes a plane into the NYI building to knock us offline
You should be ashamed of yourself!!!

What a tackless, immature comment to make.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:49 PM   #141
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Re: This is one customer they have lost

Quote:
Originally posted by pforkes
Once again they are down. I'm taking my business elsewhere.
We're kind of expecting a bit of that. Even though it's horrible bad luck, events like this cause you to lose customers - that's life. Hopefully it's balanced out by similar runs of luck at other providers causing their customers to come to us.

We really are doing our best here - and improving our infrastructure - but at the same time we seem to be hitting further hardware problems.

The cause of this overload - the new servers that will give us replicated email storage and much shorter outages for users in the event of catastrophic hardware failure like that which happened to server4 a few months back. Such is life. Yes, it's complicated by the servers being on the other side of the world from me - but that's how it goes.

I'll stop rambling and boring people now!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:49 PM   #142
TedCavitt

Quote:
You should be ashamed of yourself!!!
What a tackless, immature comment to make.
Seems pretty apt to me. I expect nothing less from Fastmail.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:50 PM   #143
calpchen

Thanks, brong, for staying on top of it. I appreciate the dedication.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:51 PM   #144
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally posted by TedCavitt
Seems pretty apt to me. I expect nothing less from Fastmail.
The Australian sense of humour I guess. Don't take anything seriously, and the worse something really is, the more important it is to laugh about it and try to see a funny side.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:52 PM   #145
mac'd

Quote:
Originally posted by sflorack
Why is it that everytime the service goes down, we have to wade through 12 pages of "Down for me in <insert your city here>, too" posts. Yes it's down; in Paris, in Tokyo, in Sydney, in every other time zone on the planet.

Please keep these posts down so the rest of us can read updates from FM staff about the outage.
Yep down here too in Northern Kentucky, USA. Dead as a doornail. Deceased. Lifeless. No response. No reply. No deposit. No return. De nada.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:54 PM   #146
bbrener
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Down in Arizona

Quote:
Originally posted by brong
Me
Where is Jeremy? You have no idea how many times this conversation has happened; how NYI has been designed to prevent this and how it continues to happen. You are piloting today's mess ... but the longer term mess should be placed at Jeremy's feet. Just what does it take to actually get it robust. If we ran our online systems this way we'd have no customers.
Power rack problems? Why did it not happen yesterday or the day before. Nothing 'happens', only poorly executed changes or poor planning or both.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:55 PM   #147
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

How the hell can you make a joke about a plane running into a building after September 11th, you insenstive twit. I have stood patiently waiting during outages in the past, but your display of a spineless ego has me fuming.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:55 PM   #148
kom

Quote:
Why is it that everytime the service goes down, we have to wade through 12 pages of "Down for me in <insert your city here>, too" posts. .
Search for brong's "since yesterday" posts seem to give a good summary of all that have been done.

No emails, but cheers :-)
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:56 PM   #149
zutalors

Quote:
Originally posted by Sigg
Yes - but some people don't seem to bother reading what's already been posted
Having read all the posts (exciting, isn't it?) there seemed to be a question as to why some parts of the world were down, and others not, so I posted to add a clue. Sorry if it bothered you. Zut!
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:57 PM   #150
lordsirpeter

Quote:
Why is it that everytime the service goes down, we have to wade through 12 pages of "Down for me in <insert your city here>, too" posts. Yes it's down; in Paris, in Tokyo, in Sydney, in every other time zone on the planet.
At the time I posted my location some users were reporting that all was well, and some were reporting that it wasn't.

I'm 95% sure (this was two years ago so I'll admit I could remember wrongly) that I read a post from an FM staffer that in times when things are fine for some but not for all, they like to have some idea of the geographic areas in case they're clustered in one or a limited number of places.

Of course, once someone confirms that the problem is global it's pointless to post locations, but as a genuine question so as I don't waste my or anyone else's time in the future - is it always a waste of time to post location or, is it potentially useful if a problem is indeed sporadic (as was the case at one point in this outage)?
Closed Thread