EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Dec 2019, 09:18 PM   #31
PON
Essential Contributor

> Google will allow Google contacts to be downloaded but not synced on the phone.

I should have explained that it was a result of her phone being set up differently from her previous one (a Samsung), with her own non-Google email address used as the key identifier when setting up a Huawei account. Phone shop just asked a few questions and said "this Huawei app will transfer all your info", which it did, almost perfectly. But she ended up with a new Google account linked to her personal email.

I had no idea this had happened as all the contacts were there and the calendar worked as before. She ended up with everything apparently working but contacts were from an old gmail account, email from Fastmail, calendar from new Google account with no gmail account (not really wanted for email in any case).

Her Thunderbird and phone contacts have been out of sync for a while and I didn't get to the bottom of it until I managed to get a hold of the phone for long enough yesterday (it's used for 2FA with the new Google account).

I think others have run into this, see eg

https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-contacts.html

At first I thought it was something to do with Huawei -- there's been enough confusion about this -- but it seems to be the case that your contacts will not sync unless you have a Google email address (but the calendar does sync). It's possible the issue is fixable by setting up another gmail account. However, Google's CardDAV sync is non-standard and loses data that other CardDAV implementations will sync.

That wouldn't matter immediately but, if TBsync and Cardbook do end up working together as agreed, this pitfall will end up having been useful in nudging us in the right direction.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2019, 10:16 PM   #32
TenFour
Master of the @

Too late now, but I would never, never trust a phone store person with any settings on my personal phone. I have too many friends and relatives that have had terrible experiences losing contacts, photos, email, etc. Maybe, just maybe I would let an Apple store person work on my phone, as they seem to have reasonable training. Just use the Google contacts app and be sure to use the correct Google account for syncing and it should work fine. I never use whatever contacts app comes with the phone--they never work as well as the Google app. I have contacts synced back 15-16 years from when I first started using Gmail, and they have synced to many different phones. The trick is to only use the Google contacts and calendar apps, and they sync perfectly.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2019, 05:08 AM   #33
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I joined in May 2002....
Maybe I am the older non-Australian at Fastmail *and* in this Forum. (Change my mind!)

On Fastmail since may/2002. On EMD since Jun/2002.

But reading here since before crating an account at Fastmail. The truth is that what I read here helped me to decide create an account at Fastmail.

This was the first message:

==========

Reply-To: webmaster@fastmail.fm
To: Dario Mor <xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Click here to begin using FastMail
X-Mailer: MIME::Lite 2.117 (F2.6; T0.14; A1.42; B2.12; Q2.03)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 16:43:57 +0000
Size: 5 KB

Welcome to FastMail

We've sent you this email just to get you started with using FastMail. As you can see, you can read any emails that arrive simply by clicking on the subject line. You can access the various FastMail screens, such as editing your address book, composing a new message, etc. by clicking on the links at the top of this page.

FastMail has a large amount of online help. Every where you see a small, underlined question mark sign (?), you can hover the mouse over it to get a small summary of what the feature is and what it is for. Clicking on the question mark will open a new window with detailed information about the feature and how to use it. Once you have read the details, you can close the help window and continue using FastMail.

One of the first things we recommend you do is go to the Options screen (see the top right hand corner of the screen) and then the Account Preferences screen. From there, you can setup your preferred options, such as your default screen size, your preferred color scheme and your time zone. Once you've done this, we recommend setting up your local email software (such as Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape Messenger, Pine, etc.) to access your FastMail account through IMAP or POP. See here for more details on how to set this up.

We hope you find FastMail the fastest and easiest way to access your email. If you have any comments or questions, try checking out the links at the bottom of every screen, or feel free to email us at webmaster@fastmail.fm.

The FastMail Team

Attachments:

This_is_how_attachments_appear.txt

==========

[ ]s
Dario Mor
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2020, 12:52 AM   #34
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
On since 13 Mar 2003 2:29 AM

No plans to leave.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2020, 01:06 AM   #35
odedp
Master of the @

Joined Fastmail when they started the service (not sure if it was the end of 1999 or beginning of 2000)
Joined this forum on March 2000
It's true I've cancelled my Fastmail account several months ago and switched to Pobox (owned by Fastmail!) Mailstore, but the only interface I use is Fastmail's web.
Does it make me a Fastmail user?

Last edited by odedp : 4 Jan 2020 at 06:39 PM.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2020, 05:45 AM   #36
stanmocek

Fastmail user since February 2002.
stanmocek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2020, 06:11 PM   #37
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmocek View Post
Fastmail user since February 2002.
Same here. Well that's the oldest email I have in my account that I can find. I have no plans to change.
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2020, 04:59 AM   #38
Gankaku

Thumbs up

I keep wanting to hit a "thumbs up" or "heart" on these threads that I like.

I need to see how long I've been with FM. It's been a REALLY long time.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2020, 07:29 AM   #39
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I keep wanting to hit a "thumbs up" or "heart" on these threads that I like.

I need to see how long I've been with FM. It's been a REALLY long time.
I see a thread you started back in 2002... so... it's at least that long!

/cl
Old 28 Jan 2020, 09:40 AM   #40
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I see a thread you started back in 2002... so... it's at least that long!

/cl
haha right! So I know I learned about Fastmail on this forum. So I must have created a free account (was that a called Member account?) I guess that was in July 2002, which I could see from my account history. I'm not sure there is a "Joined since..." date anywhere...like when did I create my account. Hm... Then I got Full for awhile. I remember getting several affiliate credits from my little webpage that was fun and helped me pay my account a little each year along the way.

So Fastmail was still very young when I came along. Grateful to be along for the ride!
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2020, 09:56 AM   #41
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

I cannot see my 'joined' date... I just see my first purchase in my purchase history... but that was within days or a week or so of joining... so for me, that's close enough...

Not sure what else might give you a clue...
Old 5 Feb 2020, 01:29 AM   #42
sterdeus

I've been paying since Apr 2002. While there were a few rocky times in the early days, its been a solid service for the last few years (that I've noticed).
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote