EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 8 Mar 2023, 02:21 PM   #1
truemagic

Domain registrar - Is this common practice?

I leave my unused domain past its expiry last month and out of curiosity today I check the whois of that domain and to my surprise it's renewed by the registrar which means they're now the new owner.

Just wondering is it a common practice registrars do this and for how long? Probably they do it for possible profit purpose for example, if the existing owner suddenly wanted to reclaim the domain then they have to pay it with a higher price
truemagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Mar 2023, 07:15 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I had a similar experience. Once, a few years ago, so I cannot comment how widespread this procedure is.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 07:42 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Interesting. I have noticed that domains of mine that I let expire are available for sale these days. I guess the thinking is that if someone once thought a domain was worth paying for it is highly likely that someone else will be willing to pay a premium for that domain. It is a little disconcerting as one of them includes my name as part of it, though it is such an unusual name, so long, and with additions that I doubt it will be of interest to many in the world.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2023, 02:00 AM   #4
Foxx

Without knowing the specifics of your situation, what comes to mind is a so-called "Grace Period".
It's a transitional period, after your domain expires, where you can still renew the domain for the regular price.

Pretty much just a "last call" for you, if you accidentally let your domain expire.

The other option, which you also touched upon, is the so-called "aftermarket sales".
I know from a previous registrar - register.to - that they would collect short, and unique, domains, which they would put up for sale in auction, after the domains had expired.

I was able to grab a few good ones this way, which I still use to this day.

The last option, is 3rd-party vendors, that will buy up domains, after they have expired and become available, and put them for sale at a high premium.

There are sites dedicated to finding newly expired domains, and they show all sorts of relevant information, like backlinks and other things that could make the domain more valuable.

You'll often find these people to use sites such as dan.com or other similar sites, and not want to sell for less than a few thousand dollars.
Potentially it can be a good business, but I can't help but feel that it's risky, with the all the recurring costs that comes with this.
Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote