EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Jun 2008, 09:42 AM   #91
rgarcia
Essential Contributor

I am using the classic interface, you go to options and then listed under management is mail addresses, click that and you can create one alias.
rgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 02:50 PM   #92
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Yes that worked even before they did these ymail.com and rocketmail.
I have one such in my yahoo.se account.

If I remember correctly one get only one chance though so they
warn that one should think it through and chose something that
one can keep forever??? Doesn't the text say that now too?

Last edited by drew : 24 Jun 2008 at 07:12 PM.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 07:10 PM   #93
mike1977

I think for the extra email address, it can be changed twice a year, and for the address guard...the third base name is permanent for the account.
mike1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 07:13 PM   #94
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Yes me not up to date. Sorry!
Old 24 Jun 2008, 07:43 PM   #95
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1977 View Post
I think for the extra email address, it can be changed twice a year, and for the address guard...the third base name is permanent for the account.
How then can I change it? I go into account information,and try to edit the email information, filling in the alternate box, but it never remains when I push the "Finish" button?

Also, cannot find "Address Guard" option in my account??

Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 08:27 PM   #96
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
How then can I change it? I go into account information,and try to edit the email information, filling in the alternate box, but it never remains when I push the "Finish" button?
I haven't tried changing my primary alternate email address, but when I go to the "Edit Member Information" screen and add an address in the "Alternate Email 2" field and click on "Finished", after being prompted for my password I'm brought back to the "Review My Account Information" page, which displays, under "Member Information":

Yahoo! Mail Address: my.address AT ymail.com
Alternate Email 1: my.alternate.addresss AT otherdomain (primary)
Alternate Email 2: Another.alternate AT domain (pending)

Note the "(pending)" after the second alternate address. To "verify" the address, go back to the Edit screen and click on the "Click here to verify" link beneath the address to have a confirmation message sent to that address. After "verifying" the address, you can go back to the Edit screen and make it your 'primary' alternate if you want to, and can probably delete the original alternate. If this doesn't work, then you may have a problem which only Yahoo can help you with (not saying they necessarily will, of course).

(Although I might add that it doesn't seem that you and mike1977 are talking about the same thing. He seems to be referring to the 'extra' yahoo address/alias, while you seem to be referring to an alternate contact address for yahoo to reach you at, which is what I've described above.)

Quote:
Also, cannot find "Address Guard" option in my account??
AddressGuard is on my Mail Options page, as shown in the graphic I posted earlier here:

http://images1.filecloud.com/730306/yahoo_options.jpg

in the left column (to the right of the sidebar) under the 'spam' label, beneath the section labeled 'Spam Protection' and above "Security Centre'. Since I was under the impression (correctly or incorrectly) that all versions of Yahoo email had that option, if you can't find it there or anywhere else, again, it may be that only someone at Yahoo can help you.

Last edited by xmailer : 24 Jun 2008 at 09:03 PM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 11:47 PM   #97
GreenGuava

Slightly off topic, but as you may know I recently signed up to a new ymail email account via the UK site so I could have POP access. After re-entering my password to access the 'Account Information' section of the options (in the Classic interface), I am led to a screen that states:

We can increase site speed and efficiency for you by copying your user information (which may include sensitive data) to one of our servers in Australia . Please note that privacy protections provided by Australia may be different from those provided by your country.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on this and whether it is better to allow Yahoo to make a copy on a local server or leave the data on the UK server.

Cheers.
GreenGuava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2008, 01:53 AM   #98
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I didn't have the time yet to read through all pages of this topic, but wasn't Rocketmail purchased and offered by Yahoo already quite a while?

I like the Ymail domain although it lacks creativity and clearly seems to be inspired by Gmail...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 03:51 AM   #99
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

My Opinion on ymail. I have a paid account with ymail. I'm pretty well satisfied with it but a change or two would enhance it for me. I'd like to have option of changing From Line, not the present option of entering a name or address and having it followed by the ymail address. Also would greatly enhance for me if it were possible to open a page of pictures full size and be able to scroll down them. The present method opens a page of small pictures and to view them full size requires downloading them one by one.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 04:04 AM   #100
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
Also would greatly enhance for me if it were possible to open a page of pictures full size and be able to scroll down them. The present method opens a page of small pictures and to view them full size requires downloading them one by one.
In fact, I believe Yahoo used to have provision for that, or some better way of handling them anyway, until they inexplicably "downgraded" their handling of picture attachments a couple of years ago or so. I clearly remember it because it was precisely my reason for sending someone a Gmail invite around that time ("invites" still being necessary to open an account at the time), the handling of picture attachments generally being one of Gmail's better features (I say "generally" because Gmail's thumbnails have a way of stopping working "out of the blue" sometimes, which has happened with more than one of my Gmail accounts at various times).
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 04:09 AM   #101
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks xmailer for your comments. Doesn't seem likely that yahoo will make many changes.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 10:18 AM   #102
wwww

xmailer just wanted to say thanks, followed your lead, changed US content to UK, then POP options well popped up, changed back to US content and POP is still there, i got my short email name address and POP access, couldn't ask for more then that.

BTW
AddressGuard does seem to disappear once you switch back to US, i will try creating an address and see if it keeps once its configured.

Last edited by wwww : 26 Jun 2008 at 10:30 AM.
wwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 12:09 AM   #103
wwww

Update:
Ok POP3 only works on ymail.com accounts not on yahoo.com, and addressguard would disappear after changing back to US.
wwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 02:13 AM   #104
pin
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I didn't have the time yet to read through all pages of this topic, but wasn't Rocketmail purchased and offered by Yahoo already quite a while?

I like the Ymail domain although it lacks creativity and clearly seems to be inspired by Gmail...
Yes, Four11 (Rocketmail) was aquired by Yahoo for $92 million in 1997. It was my first email address...
pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2008, 03:10 AM   #105
drew
The "e" in e-mail

Yes it was one of my first too. But I am a picky person. Too long.
I want short ones like gmx.com so I want ymail.com but my lack
of fantasy fail to come up with a good user name. Sad sad sad.

EDIT

I gave in and took an old username I've used for a year or so.
I don't like it but many know me by that handle. Me lazy, failed
to come up with better. Lack if fantasy.

Pop worked after telling me preferred swedish. Have not tested smtp

Last edited by drew : 28 Jun 2008 at 11:05 PM.