EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 19 Nov 2014, 11:34 PM   #1
hal9000

Openmailbox.org

I discovered this free email service and it has many advantages. What do you think?
I don,t find the thread I posted about it, if I did something wrong or if it looked like spam I would like to know and please forgive me.
Thanks
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Nov 2014, 12:15 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Search this forum for openmailbox and you will find numerous comments. Usually in the context "service down" or "not receiving email".

IMHO it's an interesting concept, badly executed.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2014, 01:33 AM   #3
hal9000

Thank you janusz for that news, I didnīt know, I thought it was a new email service and it was not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Search this forum for openmailbox and you will find numerous comments. Usually in the context "service down" or "not receiving email".

IMHO it's an interesting concept, badly executed.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 01:35 AM   #4
hal9000

Good point, as I know itīs a young only person but offering good services and needed for some donations to continue, maybe itīs not something safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaterb View Post
I used this service for a few weeks and it seemed alright but what put me off was that it's a one man show. It 's run, owned and maintained by one person. All I know is he's from France. I want to know more than that. How old is he? is he a boy with the server in his bedroom? Or a rich ecentric with plenty of time? What happens if he gets ill or just get board?
Old 20 Nov 2014, 01:37 AM   #5
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Right on frontpage
Make donations:
Domains name: 58€
Ssl certificate : 144€
Infrastructure : 8400€
Human ressources : 0€

This number just do not not add up correctly.
Number should be:

Domains name: 9.5€
Ssl certificate : 15.95€
Infrastructure : 756€
Human ressources : 7820€

Person who claims servers cost 8000 euros per year, should have better service or change provider. I'm not even talking 58 for domain name, when .org cost $10. This alone will make me caution to use it
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2014, 03:31 AM   #6
hal9000

Well, there are different prices in domains and ssl certificates, as you know. So, I donīt consider it a bad point, but I agree with you and the rest of the comments to be caution because "human resources" = 0 means that itīs only a server in a room or something like that.
But look what he has done, itīs wonderful, even better than many great companies out there with many people working inside... itīs something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryptmail View Post
Right on frontpage
Make donations:

Number should be:

Person who claims servers cost 8000 euros per year, should have better service or change provider. I'm not even talking 58 for domain name, when .org cost $10. This alone will make me caution to use it
Old 20 Nov 2014, 03:54 AM   #7
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Well, there are different prices in domains and ssl certificates, as you know. So, I donīt consider it a bad point, but I agree with you and the rest of the comments to be caution because "human resources" = 0 means that itīs only a server in a room or something like that.
But look what he has done, itīs wonderful, even better than many great companies out there with many people working inside... itīs something to think about.
Would you collaborate about features? from quick look, what he did, is to install postfix with webclient, wire spam filter and some third party parent control.
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2014, 05:14 AM   #8
hal9000

Quote:
Would you collaborate about features? from quick look, what he did, is to install postfix with webclient, wire spam filter and some third party parent control.
Not only that.
He has also changed the design in roundcube and I think itīs excellent. A good website with different languages, cloud and file storage, aliases, forum...
Maybe he has the same idea as you: beginning alone but then creating a good email service with more people in a company.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 07:07 AM   #9
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Right on frontpage
Make donations:

Number should be:

Man, I'd love to have 8000 euros a year to spend at online.net (where the server is hosted)
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2014, 02:26 PM   #10
hal9000

Who knows... maybe that money is to extend the servers and make it more professional, we donīt know.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 12:56 PM   #11
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Well, there are different prices in domains and ssl certificates, as you know.
You can't hide the cost of your own domain and SSL certificate, because you can't hide who you bought them from. openmailbox.org is registered at Gandi, where .org costs 12.97 euros and a SSL certificate is included with every domain. The website does use a certificate from Gandi, so the total cost must have been 12.97 euros, even less if they got a discount.

One exception is if the service uses multiple domains like fastmail does. In that case, the annual cost of domains and SSL certificates might go up quite a bit. But clicking on the signup link only lets you choose addresses at openmailbox.org, and all the IMAP/POP/SMTP hostnames belong to the same domain, so it doesn't seem like they use multiple domains, either.

So yes, this sounds like an attempt to pass off the owner's own salary (or that of any employees) as a different kind of cost. I wouldn't envy anyone who makes barely 8,000 euros a year... but I wish they were more straightforward about it.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2014, 09:28 AM   #12
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
One exception is if the service uses multiple domains like fastmail does. In that case, the annual cost of domains and SSL certificates might go up quite a bit.
OpenMailbox has openmailbox.org, opentrashbox.org, openaliasbox.org, opmbx.org, and three other domains soon to be made available (ombx.org, foss.email, freemail.io). https://twitter.com/openmailbox_org/...45296810225665

There have been significant infrastructure upgrades over the last few months.

In addition to the OpenPGP webmail, IMAP (with IDLE support), SMTP and XMPP services, all users have a separate full-featured ownCloud 7 file/calendar/contacts storage/share/sync facility, with WebDAV access.
https://owncloud.org/features/

Last edited by pjwalsh : 23 Nov 2014 at 10:47 AM.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote