EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 20 Nov 2014, 03:35 AM   #1
hal9000

Aliases

I want to ask Runbox to change the limit in words to create an alias, it should be possible to create an alias with only 2 or 3 letters, but now itīs impossible.

Can you change it, please?.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by hal9000 : 20 Nov 2014 at 04:36 AM.
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Nov 2014, 04:06 AM   #2
smithmb001

I think you meant two or three letters. I second that request.
smithmb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2014, 04:36 AM   #3
hal9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmb001 View Post
I think you meant two or three letters. I second that request.
You are right, I edit it now.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 08:34 AM   #4
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We don't allow short usernames or aliases on the @runbox.* domains because they attract spam and make it easier for hijackers to access your account.

However, if you use your own domain, you can have aliases with one character or more.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2014, 02:25 PM   #5
hal9000

Maybe thatīs true with 1 or 2 words, but with 3 words?... I donīt think so.
You know that there are many more possibilities to create aliases with 3 words but we canīt do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowdley View Post
We don't allow short usernames or aliases on the @runbox.* domains because they attract spam and make it easier for hijackers to access your account.

However, if you use your own domain, you can have aliases with one character or more.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 05:08 PM   #6
hal9000

Well, another reason to think about moving to another email service offering 2FA, 3 words in main account/aliases, etc.. Maybe posteo.de

Promises from long time ago and not facts, even a kid offering an email service like openmailbox is doing more things and alone with few money, and listening the people when something is suggested.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 05:59 PM   #7
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Well, another reason to think about moving to another email service offering 2FA, 3 words in main account/aliases, etc.. Maybe posteo.de

Promises from long time ago and not facts, even a kid offering an email service like openmailbox is doing more things and alone with few money, and listening the people when something is suggested.
If you think a single person can run a scalable email system like we do, then you are dreaming.

Setting up a single server that does email is one thing. When you have 50-100 servers doing one email system, then that is totally different thing. And you need a lot of servers with separation of services if you plan on building something that has high availability and can scale.

Posteo looks like a very interesting email provider with many similar values to us.

Kim
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2014, 08:13 PM   #8
hal9000

You are right, itīs not the same.
But RB could learn a lot from Posteo and even from that kid. Yes, itīs not the same but if you want to work in something and promise something then we canīt wait years.

I think itīs not asking too much for 3 words in aliases and I donīt think itīs something against security or difficult to do.
About the rest of things promised all this time... I hope it will not be done some years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kservik View Post
If you think a single person can run a scalable email system like we do, then you are dreaming.

Setting up a single server that does email is one thing. When you have 50-100 servers doing one email system, then that is totally different thing. And you need a lot of servers with separation of services if you plan on building something that has high availability and can scale.

Posteo looks like a very interesting email provider with many similar values to us.

Kim
Old 30 Nov 2014, 08:36 PM   #9
17pm

Quote:
But RB could learn a lot from Posteo and even from that kid. Yes, itīs not the same but if you want to work in something and promise something then we canīt wait years.

I think itīs not asking too much for 3 words in aliases and I donīt think itīs something against security or difficult to do.
About the rest of things promised all this time... I hope it will not be done some years later.
You're frustrated at Runbox, it's understandable. However, you should read your posts before hitting the "Submit Reply"... You sound very bitter. You'll not get what you want by being that way.

You know what they say: "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."... This is true.

I suggest you compose them a beautiful song and serenade it to them. Either that or create well structured posts that mention the pros and cons of a particular change. After that, try to make them see that the pros severely out-weight the cons.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2014, 08:46 PM   #10
hal9000

You are absolutely right 17pm

I am sorry if my posts were agressive, please forgive me. I love RB but sometimes I was expecting so much more and I was dissapointed, nothing more.

Do you know how to delete my profile/account?.

Thanks
Old 1 Dec 2014, 03:39 AM   #11
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
I am sure we have lots of things we can learn from Posteo. I don't know anything about how their email system is built yet, but I will look into it.

Regarding OpenMailBox it is more about hacking things together and getting it to work. He has gotten very far doing that and I am very much impressed about what he has built alone. But if his infrastructure is still the same as he described earlier, then he has some way to go to build something that will scale and be available over time..

Runbox is a much different animal in the sense we are very risk averse as we handle one of the most important assets of our customers. There is a lot of process to make sure nothing bad or unexpected happens.

Quote:
Sure, it is not much to ask for and it is a totally fair thing to ask for. We can discuss it at our next internal meeting. But currently we think it would be bad for us and our customers to use 2-3 characters aliases. If we allow it should one person be allowed to take 100 2 characters aliases?
Old 1 Dec 2014, 03:51 AM   #12
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Do you know how to delete my profile/account?.
You will need to open a support ticket for that, but we would be sad to see you go. We will deliver 3 projects in the next weeks, so exciting things coming up.

Kim
Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:21 AM   #13
17pm

Quote:
You will need to open a support ticket for that, but we would be sad to see you go. We will deliver 3 projects in the next weeks, so exciting things coming up.

Kim
Oh.. Not this again! Next weeks.. Hopefully until the end of the year, yes? That's 4 weeks!

Also, what projects? :P

I think you guys should talk about the storage space in your next meeting... Currently, there are better alternatives than Runbox... Take a look at FastMail. Their second tier account is the same price as Runbox' mini account (in euros atleast).. They offer 3 times more email storage than Runbox! (5gb vs 15gb). They offer 10 times more file storage (500mb vs 5gb)!

Not sure if it's viable for Runbox to upgrade the storage space, but I think it's important to look at one of the best e-mail providers in the world and try to learn something from them..

I think upgrading the storage space would make an increase in the number of customers.. I think that increase would be more than enough to support the increase in storage space, which would be in favour of RB's objectives... I have no data to support my statement though.

PS: I think hal9000 was talking about his emaildiscussions' account.

Last edited by 17pm : 1 Dec 2014 at 05:41 AM.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:49 AM   #14
hal9000

It was in this forum, not in RB. And I have been answered in another thread. No problem. Thanks.

Quote:

Kim
Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:52 AM   #15
hal9000

Quote:
Sure, it is not much to ask for and it is a totally fair thing to ask for. We can discuss it at our next internal meeting. But currently we think it would be bad for us and our customers to use 2-3 characters aliases. If we allow it should one person be allowed to take 100 2 characters aliases?
I understand the problem with 2 characters, but not with 3. I am in some email services with only 3 characters in my main account and even aliases, I donīt see the problem. And 3 characters is something very common when we are choosing a name.