EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 28 May 2013, 07:47 PM   #61
zipzap

Alternative Thoughts

I originally reviewed this thread months ago during my search for a good email host so I thought I would return to follow up.

Having been frustrated by the process of finding email services for my domains, let me offer a suggestion that should help you all avoid the same pains:

My Must haves:

1. Domains need to stay with present host.
2. Email must have unlimited accounts and space
3. IMAP
3. Must support domain aliasing so I can combine my 2 domains into 1.

You would think it would be pretty easy to find a good host, but its not. Hidden information, no unlimited accounts, expensive, transfer required, and companies that are clearly not ready for prime time.

I finally, found Hostmonster.com (bluehost) over the weekend and so far they have been perfect. Simple setup, and easy configuration.

I want to save others from the headaches I experienced. Check them out. BTW...they are running their special. I got 3 years of hosting (including WWW) for $3.95 a month. A bargain.

OH and they do IMAP very well !
zipzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2013, 08:25 PM   #62
petergh
Master of the @

I'm glad you find a host that suits you, but I'd be curious to know which hosts you have evaluated during your search, and why you think some of them are not ready for prime time?
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2013, 11:20 PM   #63
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzap View Post
2. Email must have unlimited accounts and space
I have never before heard of a vendor offering unlimited accounts (not aliases?) and space for a moderate fixed monthly price, other than the standard free ones of course (e.g. hotmail/outlook.com). Almost sounds as though the must-haves were contrived so that only one company satisfied them. Are you affiliated with Hostmonster.com? If so, please apply to Edwin for representative status.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2013, 11:56 PM   #64
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
I believe I know who this gentleman is and why he posted in the thread about us.

He signed up with us a while ago and recently while doing the official move, he encountered some issues with our service. One was a bug on our end and a few were misunderstandings of how some features work. Since the customer was dissatisfied with the service, he requested a cancellation and we refunded the user for the entire year, not just the remaining months.

Sorry for not being a good match for your needs and best of luck with your new host.
George_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2013, 03:10 AM   #65
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Alternative Thoughts?

Very old hat, IMHO - just a domain host that offers e-mail, and we have gone into considerable depth here on the forum as to domain hosts e-mail vs dedicated e-mail provider.

And again, IMHO, I would not venture to recommend any provider, based on just a few days use.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2013, 03:30 AM   #66
lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
And again, IMHO, I would not venture to recommend any provider, based on just a few days use.
I agree. Sometimes it's months before all the little gremlins have crept out of the cupboards (like you need support, or there is an outage).
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:18 PM   #67
holden

One question. Can I read my mail via the default android mail app? Does that work with a basic plan? Just so i can read my mail on the road...
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:33 PM   #68
lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
One question. Can I read my mail via the default android mail app? Does that work with a basic plan? Just so i can read my mail on the road...
I assume that the "default android mail app" supports IMAP, at least it does on my Android tablet. In which case the answer is yes, of course. With a basic plan, you can use IMAP (with the enhanced plan you can use Exchange ActiveSync instead, though I prefer IMAP anyway. Exchange ActiveSync allows you to exchange calendar and contacts information if that's important to you.)
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:36 PM   #69
holden

Nope. Just basic reading and replying function, nothing more

Thank you for your response!
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2017, 04:25 AM   #70
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Backups, Backups, Backups!

We've not heard from George in a while, but I noticed a Tweet today from Polarismail that I thought I would share with the forum.

https://www.polarismail.com/email-backups/

How well protected are your e-mails? If you have e-mail backups, how complete and easily accessible are they?
At PolarisMail we take backups very seriously. So seriously, that packed with every account you get two different kinds of backups, free of charge!
Old 10 Nov 2017, 07:55 AM   #71
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
We've not heard from George in a while, but I noticed a Tweet today from Polarismail that I thought I would share with the forum.

https://www.polarismail.com/email-backups/

How well protected are your e-mails? If you have e-mail backups, how complete and easily accessible are they?
At PolarisMail we take backups very seriously. So seriously, that packed with every account you get two different kinds of backups, free of charge!
Yes indeed! Been hard at work developing new features, switching away from PayproGlobal to Stripe for payment processing, new website, and much more
Old 11 Nov 2017, 02:29 AM   #72
ilmaisin

Are there any plans for the "app password" option for 2FA?
ilmaisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2017, 06:44 AM   #73
George_B

Representative of:
PolarisMail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmaisin View Post
Are there any plans for the "app password" option for 2FA?
Yes! This one has been long in the making, we might actually release it in the upcoming week
Old 9 Jan 2018, 02:15 AM   #74
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Changes In Authentication Mechanisms

From the PolarisMail website:

https://www.polarismail.com/changes-...on-mechanisms/

This week-end we have proceeded to upgrade our authentication mechanisms for incoming and outgoing e-mail, eliminating MD5 based protocols due to their insecurity.

Most e-mail clients adjusted automatically and updated to the supported mechanisms but there have been reports of Apple Mail and Thunderbird configurations that haven’t updated automatically.

In those cases, please make sure to switch to using a ‘Normal Password’ but over a TLS/SSL connection instead of ‘Encrypted Password’.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 04:51 AM   #75
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

@PolarisMail on Twitter:

Launching "Last Logins": our new feature that lets Users, Administrators and Resellers review login history for their accounts and identify suspicious access:

https://www.polarismail.com/last-logins-review/