EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Nov 2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Docman

insecuressl.messagingengine.com & Chatteremail

I may be the last person on earth with this setup (published here), but is anyone else able to connect using Chatteremail on older Palm smartphones? Mine has been looping "Connect..." and "Login..." statuses for a couple days, indicating it is unable to negotiate an SSL connection.

Thanks!
Docman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Nov 2011, 06:31 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I would suggest filing a Fastmail support request (Start Here link at the bottom of any page) about this issue. My guess is that it will be hard to find anyone here using that setup, as you suggested.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2011, 03:26 PM   #3
InfamousGrouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
I may be the last person on earth with this setup (published here), but is anyone else able to connect using Chatteremail on older Palm smartphones? Mine has been looping "Connect..." and "Login..." statuses for a couple days, indicating it is unable to negotiate an SSL connection.

Thanks!
You may be interested to know that there's now at least one other user taking advantage of that 'insecuressl' server, thanks to your post popping up in a search.

When FastMail made their most recent configuration changes both my and my wife's Sony Ericsson feature phones, which we use very occasionally for e-mail, started complaining when connecting to mail.messagingengine.com. My C905 nagged about invalid credentials but would connect if overridden manually each time, but my wife's much older Z520 would not connect at all.

Installing the new root certificate cleared the fault on my phone but the older handset, even though it appeared to accept the certificate, continued to report a problem. A search for 'fastmail ssl' eventually found this thread and the link to the alternative server which I hadn't heard of until now. Switching the Z520 to this server has given the old phone a stay of execution, and despite the potential SSLv2 vulnerabilities is a much better option than switching to a non-encrypted connection.

It's unclear at this point whether it's just the switch to the SSLv2 server, or the switch in combination with the new certificate, that has solved the issue and I'm reluctant to remove the certificate in case something breaks and I can't get it working again.

If you're still having problems it might be worth installing the new root certificate in your client to see if it makes any difference. It seems unlikely (as I understand it the recent changes should not affect this legacy server) but might be worth a shot.

The root certificate is the first one on this page, titled 'DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA'

https://www.digicert.com/digicert-root-certificates.htm

Whatever the outcome, thanks for referencing this alternative server which I quite possibly would never have found without this thread. FastMail themselves, perhaps understandably, aren't exactly shouting about it from the rooftops. I can only hope it continues to be made available, at least until we finally retire that phone.
InfamousGrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Aileron

I am greatfull for your post. Now that Fastmail has made SSL mandatory for all access, the only whay to use Chatteremail with Fastmail is with the insecuressl.messagingengine.com server.

Many thanks. After several days of searching I found this.
Aileron is offline   Reply With Quote