EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Sep 2008, 05:02 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
New web interface available for testing

Wow, after a mountain of work by Richard & Neil, and some help from myself over the last month, we've finally got to the stage where we're ready to let people test out the new web interface. You can use the new interface by logging into your regular account here:

http://www.fastmail.fm/newweb/

Rather than repeating it, I've put a bunch of information about the new interface on the wiki:

http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php?title=NewInterface

Despite weeks of catching edge cases and tracking down lots of little bugs, I'm sure there's lots more that real world usage will find. So that they don't get lost in this thread, please put them on the wiki page here:

http://wiki.fastmail.fm/index.php?ti...wInterfaceBugs

There's still more work to be done, a couple of annoying bugs (that should be fixable in a day or two and are listed on the wiki), but this is finally the point where we think people can use it on a daily basis.

Note that most of the work being released here is cleanups and cosmetic stuff. There's some nice new features, but there's nothing big and radical. We definitely do plan to add some more features, but that's separate to this piece of work which was updating all the existing HTML + CSS + JS to bring it up to date.

I don't have a timeline yet on when we'll replace the "main" interface with the new one, though I guess it's probably a month or maybe a few off at least. I think we'll keep the old one around for a while (eg 3-6 months on /oldweb/ or something like that), but don't plan on updating or maintaining it.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Sep 2008, 05:18 PM   #2
MikeMcr

I'm a new user so this is the first time I have seen the new interface. First impressions - wow, it's a huge improvement over the current interface. I really like it, well done

The Inbox columns are in an order which seems much more sensible; I was always replying rather than reading in the current interface.
MikeMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Sanjeev

I wasn't able to see the new interface, but I changed the "Display Style" (in account preferences under options) from custom to Professional Blue (or any of the built in style sheets) and it worked.

Thanks for making it available.
Sanjeev
Sanjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev View Post
I wasn't able to see the new interface, but I changed the "Display Style" (in account preferences under options) from custom to Professional Blue (or any of the built in style sheets) and it worked.
Yes, also here. If you have your own custom stylesheet selected the new interface isn't displayed correctly.

I've did quick tour (I'm at work now ): I'm really impressed!
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 06:18 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Confirmed.
When I login to my free account, with everything left at defaults, all is fine. With my 'proper' account, with a custom style sheet, the display is a real mess.
I guess CSS creators will have to start again....

I should add that I do like the new interface

Last edited by janusz : 26 Sep 2008 at 06:41 PM.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 06:55 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Why ever did you change what we had it's like you have gone backwards its so plain and we have lost so many lovely features.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Merovingian
Master of the @

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO

yes, from what I've seen from just a cursory looking around, and a few test compositions, etc.

I LOVE IT !!!

Notepad looks fantastic, Address Book is great, and I am absolutely loving the real-time Auto-Complete Addresses....

great work, guys!
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
<snip> but there's nothing big and radical.
Have you guys decided if you're going to be "revealing" our "real" account email addresses when it goes live?!!!

As for the new GUI I think you guys did a "fantastic" job on it. I see/read things I don't recall ever hearing about with any other service.

Have some comments and questions but I'll wait till others have looked it over. I'm sure they'll ask most of the questions I have.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:14 PM   #9
earlzsta
Essential Contributor

Awesome job guys, well done.

The 3 of you deserve a nice cold lager!
earlzsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Why ever did you change what we had it's like you have gone backwards its so plain and we have lost so many lovely features.
Hi Terry,

I believe most or even all of the features are still there (with a bunch of new ones) but just have a different way of using them. Like on the View screen there is a link to "Show more options" that will give you some or most of what you're used to using? I believe they said it will remember you set that the next time you go to the View screen (but haven't tested that yet).

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Merovingian
Master of the @

Am I missing something about the notepad? I had thought it was going to be html, to be able to have "clickable" links?
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:28 PM   #12
COUME
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I guess the taste really depends of personal preferences because I personally love this new interface.
* Features I really love (but more to discover I guess)
- Return Receipt
- preview of image attached to emails
- resizeable left pane
- report Spam and Delete button
- I simply love the overall look, with the shades, etc. Neil did a GREAT work there!

*Small bug using https://www.fastmail.fm/newweb/
If you select "Auto hide the sidebar" in one given folder, and then change folder the "auto hide" function stop working and the "Auto hide the sidebar" cannot be clicked anymore.
Quote:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
* Question
I am not sure to understand the > sign in front of the first email. Based on the CSS code, the class is called "message keyboardSelected" so I guess it is possible to select email using only the keyboard... If so, how do you use this features?

Thanks
Ludo

Last edited by COUME : 26 Sep 2008 at 08:03 PM. Reason: I use "https://www.fastmail.fm/newweb/"
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:34 PM   #13
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Sherry I cant find the silly link show more options where is it please on the main read mail page what side ?

Thanks
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:37 PM   #14
Merovingian
Master of the @

Also, is there a way to save the size / font type for default composition choice? I thought that was going to be possible.

thanks......
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:55 PM   #15
Sanjeev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
Also, is there a way to save the size / font type for default composition choice? I thought that was going to be possible.

thanks......
It's under options, account preferences.
Sanjeev is offline   Reply With Quote