EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Dec 2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Folio

Gandi Email Hosting

Has anyone here used Gandi's email hosting service long enough to have a sense of its viability as one's primary email host. (This would just be for personal email, not for a business.)
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Dec 2017, 02:42 AM   #2
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
Has anyone here used Gandi's email hosting service long enough to have a sense of its viability as one's primary email host. (This would just be for personal email, not for a business.)
Yes, more than 1 year and it works great. I prefer roundcube, even with less options (but simpler) than the new SoGo platform.
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2017, 01:21 AM   #3
Folio

Thanks for the reply, edu. That's good to know.
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2017, 03:56 AM   #4
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
Thanks for the reply, edu. That's good to know.
Youīre welcome. If you need some help I will be here.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 04:25 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
I prefer roundcube, even with less options (but simpler) than the new SoGo platform.
I recently added a new domain to my already existing domains with Gandi, and this was a first chance I had for trying out the SOGo webmail.

It looks very nice, and more up to date than Roundcube, but from my initial tests of SOGo I think it is more limited to use than Roundcube.

For instance, to create an alias for sending in SOGo, I couldn't find an option to do so - it may be there but if it is it's not obvious to me.

Another point to consider is the lack of 2FA on both Roundcube and SOGo webmail.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2017, 06:59 AM   #6
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I recently added a new domain to my already existing domains with Gandi, and this was a first chance I had for trying out the SOGo webmail.

It looks very nice, and more up to date than Roundcube, but from my initial tests of SOGo I think it is more limited to use than Roundcube.

For instance, to create an alias for sending in SOGo, I couldn't find an option to do so - it may be there but if it is it's not obvious to me.

Another point to consider is the lack of 2FA on both Roundcube and SOGo webmail.
You are right, I am sorry but I have never needed to add an alias because I already created it before with roundcube (and I canīt find it neither testing just now), but I see many more options in SoGo as calendar, the option to forward emails, etc.
Yes, thatīs bad about the lack of 2FA but anyway you can add 2FA in the gandi.net domain login and if something happens to your email account you can enter from there to change your webmail password anytime.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 10:16 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
You can add 2FA in the gandi.net domain login and if something happens to your email account you can enter from there to change your webmail password anytime.
That's a good point, and one I hadn't considered.

So effectively, in addition to administering the domain, you also administer the e-mail account(s) for the domain and so exercise control in that way.
Old 24 Dec 2017, 02:17 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
What is the size of Gandi's inboxes?
Do they indicate the date and time of previous log-ins in the webmail? (I find that quite important)

I also have been thinking about Gandi for email, I know their domain registration service has a very good reputation but I never read a lot of details about the webmail service you can add to the shopping cart.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2017, 02:32 AM   #9
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
What is the size of Gandi's inboxes?
Do they indicate the date and time of previous log-ins in the webmail? (I find that quite important)

I also have been thinking about Gandi for email, I know their domain registration service has a very good reputation but I never read a lot of details about the webmail service you can add to the shopping cart.
5 accounts, 1 GB each one.
I don't think it gives you those logs, but I only use Roundcube (something easy with my email) or Thunderbird. I must check SoGo...
Old 24 Dec 2017, 02:40 AM   #10
edu

Sorry, it doesn't indicate the date and time of previous log-ins in the webmail. It hasn't logs to check.

See Gandi email service with your domain as something easy and with few options.

But as I said: if you have some problem you could contact support to recover your emails lost (I think it's possible but not 100% sure) and you could login to your domain with 2FA and then change the password. Because gandi email doesn't offer 2FA (a pity).

Last edited by edu : 24 Dec 2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 24 Dec 2017, 02:44 AM   #11
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
5 accounts, 1 GB each one.
That has changed for new domains registered through Gandi, it's now 2 x 3GB mailboxes included, although you may purchase additional mailboxes.
Old 24 Dec 2017, 05:07 AM   #12
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
That has changed for new domains registered through Gandi, it's now 2 x 3GB mailboxes included, although you may purchase additional mailboxes.
Thanks, I didn't know