EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:00 AM   #1
simsolfin
= Permanently banned =

wide screen version

When adding multiple attachments, why does it send the page into a 'wide-screen' version. Just makes it harder to use since the 'attach' and 'browse' and 'send' buttons get spread sideways too. Any suggestions?
simsolfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:35 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
There is only one screen resolution version. Unfortunately it doesn't always "fit" the screen. Just depends on what it has to display. I've got the problem because some of my "From" addresses get a little long so the dropdown box pushes the Groups/Nicknames box farther right.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2004, 02:05 AM   #3
simsolfin
= Permanently banned =

OK,I understand that. BUT-the screen used to list Attachments horizontally until it reached the end of the screen, and then go to the next 'line' down and go horizontally etc: Like this:

Attachment a, attachment b attachement c
attachment d attachment e
attachment f

Now it does not do this
Old 14 Sep 2004, 03:06 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I think it just lets the browser figure out where to wrap to the next line so the behavior may be dependent on the actual attachment names and the browser being used.

Regards,
Rich
Old 14 Sep 2004, 03:22 AM   #5
simsolfin
= Permanently banned =

OK, but the question then becomes why did it change the way it works? And a change for the worse at that.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 06:20 AM   #6
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I don't think it did change. I could be wrong but it seems to work the same as I remember it. It will wrap attachments to multiple lines but it's the browser that decides when and where to wrap them.

For example, I attached several files with long file names like "this-is-a-long-file-name-example.txt" and it split the display like this ([x] represents the checkbox):
Code:
[x] this-is-a-long-file-name-example.txt [x] this-is-a-long-file-name-example.txt [x] this-is-
a-long-file-name-example.txt [x] this-is-a-long-file-name-example.txt [x] this-is-a-long-
file-name-example.txt [x] this-is-a-long-file-name-example.txt [x] this-is-a-long-file-name-
example.txt
IE was able to wrap the attachments line. Although it isn't very pretty where it decided to wrap.

I also tried several files with long file names like "thisisanotherlongfilenameexample.txt" and it didn't split at all:
Code:
[x] thisisanotherlongfilenameexample.txt [x] thisisanotherlongfilenameexample.txt [x] thisisanotherlongfilenameexample.txt [x] thisisanotherlongfilenameexample.txt [x] thisisanotherlongfilenameexample.txt
Apparently IE can't figure out how to wrap this case since the text portions have no "breaks" (e.g. spaces, hyphens). Although I don't know why it wouldn't break at the checkboxes. The Mozilla browser does.

But as I said its the browser that's doing the line splitting not the Runbox Mail Manager and I don't think it's was done any other way.

Regards,
Rich
Old 14 Sep 2004, 06:24 AM   #7
simsolfin
= Permanently banned =

OK, thank you very much. I guess that IE made the change when the new version came out
Old 16 Sep 2004, 12:03 AM   #8
trond
Essential Contributor

Hmm, I hate to say it, but I actually think IE is doing it right here :-(

There are no spaces between the checkbox and the filename, and there isn't any spaces after the filename either, so it's all just one long line.

This probably happened when we switched the new templating system. It has a function to strip excessive whitespace, and it seems to have been a bit too eager in this case.

It's been fixed on our dev-server now. I'll update the production servers soon.
trond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2004, 01:30 AM   #9
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by trond
Hmm, I hate to say it, but I actually think IE is doing it right here :-(
"Right" is relative. It doesn't have to just break at spaces. IE also breaks at hyphens. It could just as well break at non-text objects like the checkbox. Which is what Mozilla appears to do.

Of course to M$, IE ~WOULD~ be doing it right.

Rich