EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 7 Jul 2019, 02:04 PM   #1
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

Runbox retire Roundcube webmail

https://help.runbox.com/roundcube/#N...t_of_Roundcube

Quote:
Runbox is now focusing on the development of Runbox 7, the fastest webmail app on the planet. Runbox 7 is built for the future, and will provide everything Roundcube does — just better. Try it out now at https://runbox.com/app!

For this reason, and because the Roundcube userbase is small compared to the effort required to maintain it, we will be retiring Roundcube on December 31, 2019.
I don't know for what future is Runbox 7 build. It is one of the most ugly and counter-intuitive webmail I ever tested. Even the old Runbox webmail is better than Runbox 7.

And they plan to retire Rouncube, the only usable webmail they have. And I wonder what great effort is required to keep Roundcube online, you just install it and that's it! Oh, yeah, and update it from time to time, soooo hard.
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jul 2019, 07:07 PM   #2
goky

Hey Runbox

You might want to post the above https://help.runbox.com/roundcube/#N...t_of_Roundcube on:

https://roundcube.net/news/

Since there doesn't seem to be any sign of the above notice on there.
goky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2019, 08:37 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexu2007 View Post
And they plan to retire Rouncube, the only usable webmail they have. And I wonder what great effort is required to keep Roundcube online, you just install it and that's it! Oh, yeah, and update it from time to time, soooo hard.
Totally agree!

Don't say Runbox 7 is in beta. It's just in alpha stage.
They use us users to develop Runbox 7. I don't feel like it anymore. And it all takes way too long. IMHO, they are on the wrong track.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We are quite happy with where Runbox 7 is heading, and so is the majority of our beta tester community (which you can easily find via the Runbox website).

The future belongs to webmail services that are exceptionally fast and packed with functionality, and that's where Runbox intends to be.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2022, 07:46 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I've noticed, over on the Runbox Community Forum, that Geir said:

Quote:
We have looked into the issue and the errors are likely related to the Rouncube implementation not supporting TLS 1.2 which is now required for IMAP connections (which Roundcube relies on).

Considering the very low number of Roundcube users and our focus on Runbox 7 it’s unlikely that we will invest considerable time upgrading it or resolving the errors.
I'm wondering about other providers that are using Roundcube - Gandi, Porkbun, Purelymail, for example - won't they have the same problem that Geir's quoted above?

Or is it that they are willing to spend 'considerable time upgrading it or resolving the errors', whereas Runbox are not?

I can imagine there were a low number of Roundcube users, maybe because, as one person said on the Runbox forum:

Quote:
I’m already 3 years with RunBox, and I hear for the first time about RoundCube
I know the information about Roundcube is included in the Runbox online help pages . . . but that's if you knew about it in the first place and looked for it.

IMHO, Runbox should reconsider and reinstate Roundcube as an alternative to RB6 and RB7.

Maybe even consider SOGo.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote