EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 Mar 2018, 06:29 AM   #16
TenFour
Master of the @

Yep, every single account login was stolen. Of course, the problem is that there were something like 3 billion of them, so the chances were slim your particular account would be attacked. Mine was supposedly in the data breach, but I only used the account for occasional testing purposes and nothing else. Someone could have broken in and learned almost nothing about me. It is a very high-effort, low-reward endeavor to attack these huge providers. Think of it this way. Almost any crummy thief can easily break into almost any house in seconds using basic tools, but most of us never experience this. Why? Because thieves are usually smart enough to go where they have a good chance of scoring, so they attack targets that are of higher value. Same with most of our email accounts.

Here's the story: http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/03/tech...nts/index.html
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 04:37 AM   #17
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Is every aspect of Yahoo victim of this hack, or just the email?

I'm still doubting between Flickr for photo portfolio hosting, or a paid photo portfolio host. Obviously 1 TB free storage on a very popular platform like Flickr.com is tempting. But not if it comes with headaches about security. But did Flickr fall victim to those hackers too, or just the email accounts Yahoo runs?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2018, 10:59 AM   #18
TenFour
Master of the @

I use Google Photos which is free when uploaded at "High Quality." Backs up my smartphone photos automatically via the app. Smug Mug has a good reputation, and they just purchased Flickr, and they claim they won't change the service.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 09:43 AM   #19
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I have an account with Smugmug, been having it for about 10 years now. I was often asked why I didn't switch to ... Flickr, because of the mass amount of storage there for free (1 terrabyte!). I would look into it, although with some doubts due to the problems Yahoo has experienced with security. But basically it felt like it came down between Flickr or remaining with Smugmug (of whom I have been very satisfied, even though I realise Flickr has a higher ranking when it comes to most frequently visited websites)

Now that both options fall under the same umbrella, this changes a lot of course...
I doubt Smugmug won't change anything. In an article I found on the website of USA Today (I googled a bit after reading your post about the purchase of Flickr by Smugmug) it said Smugmug wants to revamp Flickr a bit to make it function better.

Maybe Flickr will eventually be "absorbed" by Smugmug? I mean, why would they decide to keep both services separated and cause interior competition?
I wonder too if anything about the functionality of Flickr and its ToS will change in the near future. I had already made a comparison sheet but I guess that this is no longer relevant if Smugmug indeed makes even minor changes.

That said, I have always been very satisfied with Smugmug, even considered having an account with both services... If they will now run Flickr, then I will say I have more faith in them than in Yahoo to run a reliable service in the long term. Smugmug's support team is fabulous too!
Old 26 Apr 2018, 07:42 AM   #20
TenFour
Master of the @

In the latest Yahoo outrage they are now demanding that users agree not to sue or lose their right to use the platform. https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...p-using-yahoo/
Old 30 Apr 2018, 08:27 AM   #21
InquiringMind

Flickr was bought by SmugMug. The notice was sent out very recently.

For free - no cost email, I feel Tutanota is very good. Their web interface needs some revision, but they otherwise handle tasks well. GMX would be my runner up.

For a fee - Fastmail provides an excellent service at a very reasonable cost.

Everyone I know with Yahoo has been hacked multiple times.
Gmail is pretty hack resistant from outsiders, but Gmail itself reads your mail to target you with ads. Boo !!!

I suggest to the moderators that it would be a nice time for a poll regarding free and paid email providers.

Just Sharing.
InquiringMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2018, 04:04 PM   #22
petergh
Master of the @

Gmail does not scan your email for ads anymore.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/23/...an-your-gmail/
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2018, 06:12 PM   #23
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
Flickr was bought by SmugMug. The notice was sent out very recently.

For free - no cost email, I feel Tutanota is very good. Their web interface needs some revision, but they otherwise handle tasks well. GMX would be my runner up.

For a fee - Fastmail provides an excellent service at a very reasonable cost.

Everyone I know with Yahoo has been hacked multiple times.
Gmail is pretty hack resistant from outsiders, but Gmail itself reads your mail to target you with ads. Boo !!!

I suggest to the moderators that it would be a nice time for a poll regarding free and paid email providers.

Just Sharing.
FYI I have 3 Yahoo accounts...one I made in 2001..one i made in 2003 and i have one from 2007. I was NEVER been hacked...or otherwise compromised. Things is....you need to make a GOOD password,-) And change it maybe every 4-5 months....

I agree with other posters that Yahoo would NOT be my first choice for emailing private stuff. Not even second or third choice either...lol. I actualy stopped using yahoo as a regular mail account somewere back in 2009....

The last 3-4 years I am very charmed with Yandex and Mail.ru. TOP free email providers which are certainly onpar (technicaly) with Gmail imho. Gmail i only still use because I have an android Cellphone. Otherwise i would have ditched that too.

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 03:19 AM   #24
InquiringMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
Gmail does not scan your email for ads anymore.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/23/...an-your-gmail/
Thanks for this link. Very interesting.
Old 1 May 2018, 03:22 AM   #25
InquiringMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
FYI I have 3 Yahoo accounts...one I made in 2001..one i made in 2003 and i have one from 2007. I was NEVER been hacked...or otherwise compromised. Things is....you need to make a GOOD password,-) And change it maybe every 4-5 months....

I agree with other posters that Yahoo would NOT be my first choice for emailing private stuff. Not even second or third choice either...lol. I actualy stopped using yahoo as a regular mail account somewere back in 2009....

The last 3-4 years I am very charmed with Yandex and Mail.ru. TOP free email providers which are certainly onpar (technicaly) with Gmail imho. Gmail i only still use because I have an android Cellphone. Otherwise i would have ditched that too.

Dutchie.
I don't know how complex or simple their passwords are, but it has caused several of them to switch to other mail services. The ones that remain with Yahoo only use it for low volume.

Do you have any problems with emails being rejected because Yandex and Mail.ru are in different countries ?
Old 1 May 2018, 04:14 AM   #26
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InquiringMind View Post
I don't know how complex or simple their passwords are, but it has caused several of them to switch to other mail services. The ones that remain with Yahoo only use it for low volume.

Do you have any problems with emails being rejected because Yandex and Mail.ru are in different countries ?
Not realy. The only problems that I had was with sending emails to AOL. Also emails from my ZOHO account never arrived at AOL. After complaining at the helpdesk of Zoho, they told me it was due to the policy of AOL. But then again...who sends important emails through AOL anyway these days?? ,-) So yes I seldomly use yahoo (or AOL) for that matter.

You can test your email account on spam with this website:

http://www.mail-tester.com/

works pretty good imho. It gave me very high scores for my main Yandex and Mail.ru accounts.

I am just curious how this whole OATH Thing with end...? I am still hoping they make a decent email service from AOL/Yahoo...but I guess that wont happen. I just keep my accounts because i had them for so many years...Sometimes i am a bit sentimental about it...LOL.

Dutchie.
Old 1 May 2018, 07:48 AM   #27
TenFour
Master of the @

Here in the USA I still receive a lot of email from AOL and Yahoo accounts, but Gmail dominates. Not sure I've ever received an email using a Yandex account, but of course I could be getting domain email from Yandex and not know it. It certainly doesn't even register on most measures of email statistics. I know it is less than 1%, and probably way less.
Old 2 May 2018, 07:06 AM   #28
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post

Dutchie.
Wasn't every single Yahoo password revealed on a site operated by those who cracked into Yahoo? Or did I misunderstand something?

For me the main appeal in considering Yahoo was Flickr. But with the purchase by Smugmug, this changes a lot. What is the future for Flickr? Will Smugmug and Flickr merge? As a free or paid service?
Old 3 May 2018, 03:02 AM   #29
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Wasn't every single Yahoo password revealed on a site operated by those who cracked into Yahoo? Or did I misunderstand something?

For me the main appeal in considering Yahoo was Flickr. But with the purchase by Smugmug, this changes a lot. What is the future for Flickr? Will Smugmug and Flickr merge? As a free or paid service?
NO offcourse not...not every password was leaked from yahoo..!! Like I said before..my 3 accounts NEVER were breached.

indeed i also used one yahoo for Flickr....but how that will go from now I dont know with Smugmug buying them.

On one mail.ru account i have FREE 100 Gigs storage....there are more websites that offer free storage. But Flickr was (?) pretty good...true.

D
Old 3 May 2018, 03:05 AM   #30
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

NO offcourse not...not every password was leaked from yahoo..!! Like I said before..my 3 accounts NEVER were breached.

indeed i also used one yahoo for Flickr....but how that will go from now I dont know with Smugmug buying them.

On one mail.ru account i have FREE 100 Gigs storage....there are more websites that offer free storage. But Flickr was (?) pretty good...true.

did you try fotostrana.ru ??? You can dump also much storage there ...I admit its full of ads...LOL (realy a lot...!)...If you into Russian ladies its just a great fishing pond:-) I love it...but then again i speak basic russian...and what i do not understand i translate with yandex. I try to avoid Google at all costs.

D