EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Aug 2018, 06:02 PM   #1
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Adhoc Identities when composing

Hi,

I use the service@something.mydomain.tld structure when signing up for new things (and dropping those emails into a folder called something until I know I can trust that service to not spam/share my details etc). I then convert to me@mydomain.tld when I am sure about them.

Every so often I need to compose and email to that service using that email address (mainly to cancel the service). However I need to create a new identity for the email to be coming from that email address.

I am sure we used to be able to edit the "from" field in the past. Does anyone know if this is still possible or do I really need to create a new identity for a single email?

thanks,
James.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Aug 2018, 08:06 PM   #2
misc
Essential Contributor

Hi James,

I think the way you can do this changed some time ago, but you're still able to do so: Simply create an identity with *@something.mydomain.tld as your From address. Now when you compose a new mail and choose this identity, you're able to edit the From address.

Cheers,
Michael
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2018, 08:11 PM   #3
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Hi James,

I think the way you can do this changed some time ago, but you're still able to do so: Simply create an identity with *@something.mydomain.tld as your From address. Now when you compose a new mail and choose this identity, you're able to edit the From address.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks, Michael, your suggestion is what I am currently doing.

cheers,
J.
Old 27 Aug 2018, 08:16 PM   #4
misc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Thanks, Michael, your suggestion is what I am currently doing.
So not what you were looking for? Then I don’t understand your question.

To be sure: Your identity’s email address needs to be *@something.mydomain.tld (exactly like this with * at the beginning and of course your domain name and your “something”). With this identity you can edit the from address each time you compose a new mail.

Last edited by misc : 27 Aug 2018 at 09:24 PM.
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2018, 10:24 PM   #5
JamesHenderson

Hi - I think we are at cross-purposes here.

I wasn't asking how to setup an identity of how two use the @something.mydomain.tld - I know how to do these things.

I was asking whether there was still a quick adhoc way to change your identity in the compose screen to something new for the sake of a single email. Like you, I remember being able to do this in the past.

...I believe you have already confirmed that this is no longer possible - i.e. I will have to setup an identity for every @something.mydomain.tld if I wish to email from that address (which, for me, is typically only once).

thanks!
James.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 03:22 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

As stated, once you have set up the wildcard alias, you can edit the From address as in the past. The only new limitation is that the address must be within your domain. This is a reasonable limitation on ad hoc addresses.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2018, 09:01 AM   #7
Grhm
Essential Contributor

You don't have to have a separate identity for each subdomain, and you are not restricted to a domain that you own.
If you have an identity *.mydomain.tld, when you select it in the 'from' address drop-down list you can edit it to anything you like.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2018, 11:54 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Let's make this very clear:
  • Go to Settings>Identities & Fetch
  • Click Add Identity/Fetch at the top
  • Enter *@domain, where domain is any domain. I suggest either using a domain you own or *@example.com (since example.com is a recognized test domain). Then click Next.
  • Now enter your name (used in From) and a signature. Then click Save at the top.
Now when you start a Compose message (or reply or forward), you can change the sender identity (shown above the To line) to the wildcard identity you created.
  • The wildcard * in the identity is initially automatically replaced with the local-part of your default Fastmail account local-part to create the default From address.
  • You can now edit From to anything you like (at any domain).
  • But reputation indicators (DMARC and SPF, for example) may fail, since you are sending a message from a SMTP server which isn't allowed by domain records.
  • For example, if you try sending in this manner using a Gmail From address to a Gmail recipient address, the recipient will see a very large warning about the message probably being fake.
  • But if you send such a message with a Gmail From address to a different Fastmail account, the message will be received with no serious warning.
    • Examining the full headers shows that "Email failed DMARC policy for domain" and the vacation response and address book whitelisting features will be ignored (since SPF and DMARC fail).
    • At this time, Fastmail generates a SPF_SOFTFAIL X-Spam-hits score and as described above makes it easier to fail the spam filter.
    • If the recipient replies to that message, the reply will be sent to the From address you created.
  • In the future Fastmail (and many other email providers) will most probably start using DMARC and ARC. See:
    https://fastmail.blog/2016/12/24/spf-dkim-dmarc/
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2018, 03:00 PM   #9
JamesHenderson

ugh - I get it now

Hi all,

Thanks for your persistence in explaining this - I get it now and apologise for being slow to understand.

I realise now that I was confusing alias with identity and totally missed you all telling me to setup a single identity beginning with *@ (which was made crystal clear by Bill).

Reading back through the tread, I can see that is what you were all saying, so thanks to you all.

J.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 09:39 PM   #10
Grhm
Essential Contributor

As so often, Bill's talent for crystal clear explanation has proved invaluable.
Thank you, Bill, you're a hero to us all!
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2018, 06:48 AM   #11
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes its people like Bill who keep this forum alive.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2018, 04:40 PM   #12
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The wildcard * in the identity is initially automatically replaced with the local-part of your default Fastmail account local-part to create the default From address.
That seems to be true when you try to compose a brand-new email. But - usefully - I find that when you are instead making a reply to something, the initial value seems to be whatever the fastmail system would previously have assumed was the most appropriate identity.

So for someone like me who currently has a lot of separately-defined identities, and lots of folders with their own default sending-id, the asterisked definition gets preloaded with different values in different circumstances. Whether that's useful or not depends on how you use your identities.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote