EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Sep 2017, 01:28 AM   #1
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Forwarding to Gmail - messages going missing?

Background:
My wife and I have a domain for personal used. For years (10?) I've been hosting the DNS at FM, and it's worked well. The A records point to the website, and the MX records point to FM. A few domain aliases are set up. They forward my messages to my FM account, and her messages to her Gmail account.

Issue:
Recently she's found out that some messages are not getting to her. She sees online that a (small) newsletter was sent out, but it never arrived. Replies from one person she's been corresponding with never reach her (individually addressed messages, not bulk mail). Things like that. They're not in her spam folder. She just never gets them.

Question:
Do I have everything set up properly in our DNS records? Any other ideas?

Here's what I have in the FM Domains screen:
FM default settings that are active:
Quote:
MX [domain.tld] 10 in1-smtp.messagingengine.com 1 hour
MX [domain.tld] 20 in2-smtp.messagingengine.com

MX *.[domain.tld] 10 in1-smtp.messagingengine.com 1 hour
MX *.[domain.tld] 20 in2-smtp.messagingengine.com

A mail.[domain.tld] 66.111.4.147 1 hour
A mail.[domain.tld] 66.111.4.148

CNAME mesmtp._domainkey.[domain.tld] mesmtp.[domain.tld].dkim.fmhosted.com 1 hour
CNAME fm1._domainkey.[domain.tld] fm1.[domain.tld].dkim.fmhosted.com
CNAME fm2._domainkey.[domain.tld] fm2.[domain.tld].dkim.fmhosted.com
CNAME fm3._domainkey.[domain.tld] fm3.[domain.tld].dkim.fmhosted.com
The rest of the standard FM entries are disabled (A records, MX for mail.[domain.tld], TXT for SPF record, 3 SRV records).

Custom DNS settings I have entered are:
Quote:
SPF [domain.tld] v=spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com include:spf.messagingengine.com ~all
SPF *.[domain.tld] v=spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com include:spf.messagingengine.com ~all
(and a couple A records pointing to our website)
Anything look wrong? Any ideas? It has (as far as we can tell) worked flawlessly for years, and now suddenly she's having issues.

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Sep 2017, 02:02 AM   #2
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Extra info. Under Domains, I also have the settings:
Quote:
Mail
Subdomain: Accept mail to ]anything@user.[domain.tld] and deliver it to user+anything@[domain.tld]
Routing: Route mail internally
Messages I send to wife@domain.tld and something@wife.domain.tld both get through (sending from both FM and another gmail account).
Old 19 Sep 2017, 04:58 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I do not claim to be an expert in this area, and someone may turn up to correct my explanation, but I think this is roughly what is happening.

The first thing to understand is that there are two flavors of forwarding
  • A regular forward that create a new message sent from the account that originally received the message.
  • A redirect, where the message is sent from (in this case) FastMail's servers, but with the original headers indicating that the sender is (usually) not FastMail.
The regular forward should never be a problem. The redirect can be troublesome. In your case, Google sees a message coming from <some domain> using a server (FastMail) that is unexpected (depending on SPF, DKIM and DMARC settings for the sending domain). In most cases, since you have no control over the security settings for the sending domain, messages are subject to being discarded by Google. For any specific sending email addresses, you may be able to circumvent the issue by using a Gmail filter that instructs Google never to discard messages from that address. As a general matter, it is a known gotcha with using redirects.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2017, 08:22 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

In Gmail make sure you have the account set up to "send as" whatever the email address is for your wife, and go through the setup process even if you never intend to "send as" from the Gmail account. That usually cures the problem, if I understand it correctly.

For example, I set up Gmail to "send as" YYYY@domain.com. As part of the setup process Gmail will send a message to that address and you have to answer to show that you really are at the address. After that, Gmail will usually successfully accept email forwarded from YYYY@domain.com. https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2017, 12:42 AM   #5
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Thanks for the thoughts, BritTim & TenFour. Much appreciated.

I know we have her main address (wife@domain.tld) set up as a "send as" address in gmail, but we might need to do that for various other something@wife.domain.tld addresses too. I'll look into that.

(It would be so nice if simple forwarding just worked. Too bad spammers messed that up for everyone...)

Andy