EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Aug 2016, 06:50 PM   #76
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
If you want to pay more for a new spiffy homepage, please yourself.
Personally, one of the first things I did was create a bookmark to go straight to the login screen so I do not need to waste time loading that home page and then going to the login screen. I know the Fastmail staff think this home page will get them new customers, but all my experience says it will annoy existing customers, but almost no one will ever read it.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 06:57 PM   #77
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
All (social) media on the new homepage is mentioned, but no trace of the FastMail forum. Not even in the support section. New FM users will not know of the existence of a forum here.
While Fastmail at one time (correctly in my view) regardd the forum as a selling point, several years ago they had a change of heart and decided to try to hide it. Bill, who tends to have his finger on the pulse and understand what is happening, has indicated that we hurt their feelings with our reaction to the way the new interface was introduced. Following that, Fastmail tolerate the forum, but would rather it did not exist. The change in attitude dates back to when three forums were merged into one and all links from Fastmail's own website to the forum were removed.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 07:58 PM   #78
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Thank you Fred
I wish I was as sure as you are...
PatheticCockroach asked about the option to renew older plans.
Fastmail's answer says nothing regarding what happens when the current, old plan, expires
I would like to see a clear statement from Fastmail confirming that old plans could be renewed, when expired, for the same prices as today.
I agree with odedp. Fastmail's Facebook reply did not answer the question directly -- only stated that "legacy" accounts can be upgraded to the new accounts.

Funny, FM's representatives have only posted on this thread once or twice. Apparently, they rather not deal with existing subscribers questions and concerns about the new plans.

It seems that FM's new business plan is to grow the business with new subscribers and ignore or humor existing subscribers as pre-paid anachronisms that will either not renew their subscriptions, or jump ship before they expire, or die.

Although I sorely miss the old Fastmail, I realize that you can never go home again. If you stand still, the world passes you by.

--
Jacinto
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:12 PM   #79
edu

I hope the most basic and cheaper plan will not be suspended when the subscription ends, I don't need a "better plan". I don't know why FM is doing all these changes but many clients aren't happy with them...
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:30 PM   #80
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

A few years ago it was nice to come on the forum and find out what was going to happen and to discuss all the new features, now they do it regardless, I suppose from a developers point of view it's all excellent, but from an end users point of view they changed what I enjoyed using.

They are slowly taking away a lot of the good features and at the same time making it harder to find things, I'm not sure if I really like it any more, but I have a few months left to make up my mind.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 08:45 PM   #81
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
I would like to see a clear statement from Fastmail confirming that old plans could be renewed, when expired, for the same prices as today.
That would be the "there's no change" bit.

If you're on an existing plan you can renew it before it's expiry date and it will continue on that plan.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 09:10 PM   #82
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
If you're on an existing plan you can renew it before it's expiry date and it will continue on that plan.
The "same prices" will depend on when you renew.

Nothing ever stays the same.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 09:17 PM   #83
exactus

How do Premier members feel?

Seems to be a few people not happy with the new subscription plans, but what about those on a Premier plan?

Previous Premier level: $120 per year for 60 gig of mail and 30 gig of files.

New Premier level: $90 a year for 100 gig of mail and 50 gig of files

>> Significantly more storage for $30 less a year. What's not to like!

Last edited by exactus : 19 Aug 2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 09:56 PM   #84
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
While my enhanced account should remain unchanged, i personally do not think the new pricing structure is attractive in the least.

I have a business account as well, and i do not like the pricing structure for that moving forward. We were strongly counting on mixing different levels of service, we will need to find to find another option. Looking at what open exchange and others offer for 5 per user per month, i don't understand the competitiveness of this new pricing structure.
Old 19 Aug 2016, 11:41 PM   #85
ReuvenNY

Quote:

Will it continue indefinitely?

Also the "legacy" plans had detailed, side by side comparison of features etc. Will you have a detailed comparison for the new plans?
For example, the enhanced account can host 100 "your own" domains. How about the new?
Old 20 Aug 2016, 12:00 AM   #86
Nafri

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbovet View Post
I upgraded to the new prices (to me they are much better ) and discovered further discounts:
$90 / 2 years
$130 / 3 years
(the standard plan).
It seems that there is no option to pay for 4 or 5 years any more. Right?
Old 20 Aug 2016, 12:52 AM   #87
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Quote:

I'm on a family plan with my own domain; me with enhanced, and two kids on the lite plan (if I remember right) so would I be able to add a new family member as lite, or would that then shift everyone to the new plans, and require the standard to keep the domain? That's where my concern comes in. I understand your pricing structure for business purposes, but as discussed earlier in this thread, it becomes too costly for family purposes.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 01:04 AM   #88
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Personally, one of the first things I did was create a bookmark to go straight to the login screen so I do not need to waste time loading that home page and then going to the login screen. I know the Fastmail staff think this home page will get them new customers, but all my experience says it will annoy existing customers, but almost no one will ever read it.
With a dedicated login page I don't know why an existing customer would go to the homepage to login.
fastmail.com/login

mm.st/login is easy enough to peck out if you're at a new computer.
Old 20 Aug 2016, 01:46 AM   #89
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafri View Post
It seems that there is no option to pay for 4 or 5 years any more. Right?
Multiyear discounts are still available if you have a legacy plan. I currently pay for three years at $33/year. The new plans -- while they do add additional storage -- would be $17/year more. No thanks..
Old 20 Aug 2016, 02:26 AM   #90
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
Will it continue indefinitely?

. . .
I believe we already know the answer to that question without asking.

It will continue until Fastmail stops it. I wouldn't be surprised if legacy subscribers are forced to "upgrade" by the end of 2021, by which time all current five year subscriptions will have expired.

Like lambs been led to the slaughterhouse, some of us will make a run for freedom, but most will not (probably including myself).

Happy Friday.

--
Jacinto
Closed Thread