EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Feb 2012, 03:37 PM   #241
petergh
Master of the @

In other words: Squirrelmail? :-)
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2012, 05:00 PM   #242
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

That would just drive you nuts... it's terrible
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2012, 11:20 PM   #243
Shelded

Horde is horrid, squirrelmail drives ya nuts? Maybe roundcube is a round peg in a square hole?

Before using squirrelly mail I would recommend we use FM for its backend and use whatever portable client or alternate provider for our choice of front end.

FM has a lot of value added even if I only occasionally log in to the web interface to tweak forwarding & filing rules, aliases, spam settings, signatures, personalities, family/business account functionality, reliability, WEBDAV file storage, etc.

However, if Opera/FM could offer the choice of horde, squirrelmail or roundcube in addition to the old, new and new2 interfaces (five or six interface choices), perhaps the out-of-the-box interfaces would keep defectors to a minimum since competitors tend to have nothing better to offer.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2012, 11:37 PM   #244
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
Horde is horrid, squirrelmail drives ya nuts? Maybe roundcube is a round peg in a square hole?

Before using squirrelly mail I would recommend we use FM for its backend and use whatever portable client or alternate provider for our choice of front end.

FM has a lot of value added even if I only occasionally log in to the web interface to tweak forwarding & filing rules, aliases, spam settings, signatures, personalities, family/business account functionality, reliability, WEBDAV file storage, etc.

However, if Opera/FM could offer the choice of horde, squirrelmail or roundcube in addition to the old, new and new2 interfaces (five or six interface choices), perhaps the out-of-the-box interfaces would keep defectors to a minimum since competitors tend to have nothing better to offer.
What Shelded said.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2012, 10:40 AM   #245
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

At 10 years loyal, I can't imagine switching. Please keep file storage integrated. And the notepad. And don't make me read my messages in stupid threads.
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 01:58 AM   #246
physci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
[*]Custom personality field is missing on compose; this is essential for those of us with multiple domains and/or catchall addresses
This is imperative. The ability to click on a sender's name from the inbox panel and quick-edit the from email address/name in the compose panel to send a custom email all in less than 2 seconds has been the primary reason for my adoration of FM. I can also vouch for all the users on my account with regards to this absolutely vital feature.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 03:58 AM   #247
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by physci View Post
This is imperative. The ability to click on a sender's name from the inbox panel and quick-edit the from email address/name in the compose panel to send a custom email all in less than 2 seconds has been the primary reason for my adoration of FM. I can also vouch for all the users on my account with regards to this absolutely vital feature.
With Opera's on-going refusal to even address the ever-missing calendar and contacts sync, while throwing its limited resources onto yet another UI redesign, I'm now compiling a list of potential replacement vendors. I've been with FM for years, but since it appears that they're insistent on dumbing things down and removing essential features, it clearly isn't going to serve my needs for much longer.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 04:32 AM   #248
petergh
Master of the @

May I suggest you have a look at this thread and see if any of those serve your needs?
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 05:35 AM   #249
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
With Opera's on-going refusal to even address the ever-missing calendar and contacts sync, while throwing its limited resources onto yet another UI redesign, I'm now compiling a list of potential replacement vendors. I've been with FM for years, but since it appears that they're insistent on dumbing things down and removing essential features, it clearly isn't going to serve my needs for much longer.
You're not the first long time user who is leaving ..... Shame FM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2012, 07:05 AM   #250
Peekay

Well, if Opera pull off the task of delivering 100% Fastmail, plus new features, I will (as previously stated) digest my headgear. I'm hungry, so let's hope they do.

If you want an example of how misguided progress can ruin some great software and lose customers, check out the comments on Android Market for the British RAC motoring organisation app after they decided that including advertisements was a good idea. I have never seen so many 1-star reviews for an upgrade in my life!
Peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2012, 07:35 AM   #251
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
May I suggest you have a look at this thread and see if any of those serve your needs?
excellent - I will go have a read!
Old 14 Mar 2012, 01:19 AM   #252
michaelab

Page never stops loading

When I'm at my Inbox on the new beta interface, the page never stops loading. Using the Activity window in Safari I can see that the resource that is for ever loading is:

https://beta.fastmail.fm/events/?u=<hex string>. It's status is always "44 bytes of ?" (the number of bytes varies, and does increase very slowly. But I've had the page open now for a good 10 mins or so and it's still 0.1kb of ?.

Any ideas?
michaelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2012, 06:29 AM   #253
neilj

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
/events is the push notifications system (so when a new email arrives it is pushed straight to your browser). It is a persistent connection, so it will never 'load' so to speak. This shouldn't be visible on the page in any way though. When you say that it never stops loading, do you mean you just see a grey screen with 'Loading', or you get a usable interface but with the spinner still going on the tab or what? It works fine in Safari on our test machines.

Neil.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2012, 10:12 AM   #254
the bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I would tend to agree with you (mostly) Peekay, but would edit (just a little bit) and say, for: 1)

Fastmail as it was: super fast and simple, with multiple features, when all the other major players were dragging their heels.

It seems to me, that the day is not too far away, that the Fastmail (re: Opera) team, will push upon us, the crap that we are currently receiving from all the other (current) major players. In view of this, I don't use Fastmail (very much) these days, And have reverted back to the 'dead solid perfect' simple (featureless) stuff.... that was available in days of yore.. at least I know that it works
Yes, this spot on.

My favorite part is where we keep getting less and less or the original interface's features with every new update.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 05:40 PM   #255
michaelab

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
When you say that it never stops loading, do you mean you just see a grey screen with 'Loading', or you get a usable interface but with the spinner still going on the tab or what? It works fine in Safari on our test machines.
I get a useable interface, but the spinner still going in the tab and the status bar shows "Loading..."

Having said all that, today the issue seems to have gone away....weird.
michaelab is offline   Reply With Quote