EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 31 Jul 2014, 12:55 PM   #16
Webgenie

Good to know what happened. Also glad I just happened to download the Tor Bundle last week. Who knew it would be just the thing to get me to my mail during this kind of problem?
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2014, 01:21 PM   #17
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
This is an unfortunate incident, and I'm not sure exactly how we can protect against it in the future. We can certainly try to run up some basic availability tests from more places (or pay a third-party service to do it for us), but obviously we can't cover every network. We will keep talking about it because we really don't like situations where we have to fix something but don't know about it.
I am going to sound like a broken record, but, as I have stated many times, one of FM's biggest drawbacks is that you provide no mechanism for customers to reach you to tell you about issues, however serious. The best way to do this is a (chargeable, per incident) support phone number. For an issue affecting a specific customer, the per incident charge would almost never be waived. In this kind of situation where a general infrastructure problem is reported, the customer would not be charged.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2014, 11:54 PM   #18
fhapgood
Master of the @

Lost connectivity to Fastmail around 10:50 AM EST.

Internal error

Sorry, an unrecoverable internal error has occurred trying to process this request.

We have logged this error and will try and fix the problem as soon as possible. In the meantime, please return to the home page by clicking the link at the top of this page. If you see this screen again, please close your browser window and try again.

If you consistently receive this error, please send an email to webmaster@fastmail.fm with the following details:

To: webmaster@fastmail.fm
Subject: Fatal session error
The error id 318718448da2e6c5-1406818629
Your operating system Windows 7
Your web browser and version number Chrome Version 36.0.1985.125 m
Your ISP RCN
A brief description of what you were trying to do at the time (eg 'clicked 'Send' on the compose screen, etc) move msg from one folder to another
Thank you
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2014, 12:01 AM   #19
physci

Cannot login to fastmail through the web or IMAP for the past 15 minutes..

Fastmail.fm Status states:
Due to a cabling mistake, some users were offline for about 10 minutes. This is now fixed.

Not fixed for me. 'Server not responding' errors pop up.

Last edited by physci : 1 Aug 2014 at 12:06 AM.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2014, 12:09 AM   #20
ladybugg

My service is still down. I'm in NH, on Comcast. 11:06 EDT. Hope it's fixed soon!
ladybugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2014, 12:10 AM   #21
bbbc

Not having luck this morning.

I've tried the regular and beta interfaces via CenturyLink with no luck.
bbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2014, 01:13 PM   #22
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
... I happened to notice because a package repository we use happens to be on that part of the network and I was unable to contact it. A few network traces discovered the problem ...
Monitoring this forum is another excellent way to pick up on connectivity problems. It lights up with new posts over 400 views so far for this incident.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2014, 04:29 PM   #23
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its down for me now and I'm in Australia....I cant log in to any of my accounts its stating incorrect password....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2014, 04:33 PM   #24
rblon
Essential Contributor

same problem
rblon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2014, 04:39 PM   #25
InfamousGrouse

Had a brief outage in the UK at about 08:30BST but it only seems to have lasted a couple of minutes at most.

I really wish iOS would report such problems with a dialog other than "Username or password is incorrect" which invariably makes me panic thinking my account has been compromised. Both Thunderbird and the web interface report a much more meaningful, and less panic-inducing, "server not available."
InfamousGrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2014, 04:50 PM   #26
mainsoft

Same problem here in France (09:50 local time).

Internal error
Could not connect to the users mailbox server. Please try again later

Fastmail status page indicates that everything is ok :-( .
mainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2014, 04:53 PM   #27
mainsoft

Contrary to what the status page is now showing

Logins were broken for about 10 minutes today, fixed now

I still can't login. Same error as reported above.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 04:58 PM   #28
aqeeliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousGrouse View Post
...I really wish iOS would report such problems with a dialog other than "Username or password is incorrect" which invariably makes me panic thinking my account has been compromised. Both Thunderbird and the web interface report a much more meaningful, and less panic-inducing, "server not available."
Same here with KMail, but their message was worse, said something like, server returned "authentication error"

Anyways, it's working now.
aqeeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2014, 05:05 PM   #29
mainsoft

Up and running again.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 05:26 PM   #30
mainsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsoft View Post
Up and running again.
Almost.

I just received the following message :

Dear User,

You have just tried to use our IMAP server for receiving email.

This service is not provided at your service level.

Although you may use your email software to access the service for receiving email via IMAP at all service levels, you must upgrade if you want to use IMAP for receiving email.

If you do wish to use this service, please upgrade your account to the appropriate level. You can do this by logging in to the web site and from the menu at the top left select 'Billing & Plan'. If you are in a family/business, you should contact the appropriate administrator of your family/business to have your account upgraded.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email. If you can not get your email software to work in order to reply, simply use the web interface to reply.

Sincerely,

The Team
webmaster@fastmail.fm

I don't understand. I do have an "enhanced" account. Was this message sent in error after the login failure ?