EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 9 Jan 2006, 10:38 AM   #1
anj
Master of the @

help with filters and searches

I have finally gotten around to really using Gmail. I subscribed a few yahoogroups to a gmail address and am reading them on gmail. While the search features better than searching on groups.Yahoo.com, there a number of things I am frustrated by. Please point out any ways to do these things I may have not found.

1. Filters
I filter each yahoogroup into a corresponding label and mark archived, so that personal responses do not get buried among the groupmail in my Inbox. I filter by To:groupname@yahoogroups.com. Problem is many people do not put the address in the "To:" field and instead in the "Bcc:". The "Reply to:" adddress is still the group address, but how do I filter by the "Reply to" address? I need to do this in such a way that messages to the whole group get archived with the label, but messages to me personally do not.

2. Search form
In order to find new posts of interest I do a search like this:
label:yahoogroupname, is:unread, subject:aword
I have to type this manually each time because the search form does not have options to use more than one label or status. Is there a way to save this search for one click reference?

Thanks in advance for your help.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Jul 2006, 08:39 AM   #2
anj
Master of the @

I still have not found a way to do either of these things in gmail. Anyone?

Google keeps adding goodies but they seem more related to integration with their other apps and ads rather than efficient search and organization of mail.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Javier
Master of the @

Sadly, I cannot offer you a solution or proposal. In my case, I am in a similar situation, but with RSS Feeds.

Actually, I am using Thunderbird as my RSS aggregator. But I would love to use GMail for that. Therefore, using RSSForward, I am receiving some of my RSS feeds into my GMail account. But I am not able to automatic classify all those posts (and the number of feeds is higher than the number of filters/rules available).

I also agree you about the actual evolution of GMail. For example, most of us have mentioned here our interest (I will love it) for accessing GMail using IMAP and GMail modifying its behaviour when using non-default email account replaying/sending messages. But no change has been made by Google people.

[EDIT] BTW, if you use Firefox, there exists a GreaseMonkey script ("GMail Saved Searches", if my memory is working correctly ;-) ) that allows you to save your searches in GMail. But, beware, GMail does authorise to use these scripts and your account may have some problems.
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote