EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 21 Aug 2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Tusker

Need help !!!! Think I've been burned

Question-- I know little about email, fast mail etc... My wife worked for my fathers company and had an email address for years.. She kept the address after my sister took over her job. A couple of weeks ago her email was disconnected.. I'm pretty sure my sister did this out of malice (long story) because she is the admin of the web site... My dad, in an effort to cover for her, said he did it by accident on some yearly renewal. My dad is not that savvy with computers even to make a mistake... My dad said he has been working with fast mail to retrieve her email address so she can copy the important emails and get her contact list. My question is -- to get rid of my wife's email , can that be accidental or was this deliberate ? I'm pretty sure I know the sad answer but I would like to know your thoughts.. It's been 3 weeks and they have been "unable" to restore her address .... My second question is if they did get her address back would she still have her old emails on there? Thank you
Tusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:11 AM   #2
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Was the domain of the email address (i.e. @yahoo.com or @gmail.com) a Fastmail domain, or a personally-owned one?
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:27 AM   #3
Tusker

It was a private domain name but they used fast mail as the provider
Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:38 AM   #4
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

So I suppose then it would be possible that either the domain wasn't renewed, or the email service wasn't renewed. (Assuming you think it was accidental.)

You can check the domain records (and it's expiration date) on a WHOIS lookup tool. For FastMail support, you'd probably want to send them an email (supportATfastmail.FM).
Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Tusker

Thanks.... The domain name still exists and the other email addresses all work. My wife's email was the only one that was "accidentally" removed.. She does not work there anymore but still used the address.. Small family company so she should have gotten a new address but did not. She has a new one now but would have liked some notice before it was "accidentally" removed so she could have saved contacts and important emails.. I did send fast mail the question but not sure how that will go since she was just an employee and did not own the domain... I have a strong feeling that the address was purposely removed by my sister. And for my dad to tell me now they have been trying for 3 weeks to get it back with no success seems hard to believe .... Does it sound like this could have been accidental or does it seem like this was done on purpose. No other addresses were affected by the "accident"
Old 21 Aug 2013, 06:22 AM   #6
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

I can only give my personal opinion, but it sounds to me that this was not accidental. It sounds like your wife was part of a Family Account or Business Account. In either case, only the master account (your father?) can add or remove accounts. It's possible that your wife's sub account was up for renewal and wasn't acted upon, but the master account holder would have presumably received email notifications.

You're probably correct in thinking that FM support will not be able to help someone who doesn't own this master account. But if the support request comes from them, you'd think they'd be able to perform SOME kind of restore (assuming it's not too late!).

Sorry that I'm not much help in terms of being able to do something about it.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Tusker

Sounds like that's what happened ... I appreciate your feedback ... Thanks
Old 23 Aug 2013, 05:38 AM   #8
RunboxCustomer

Unless the administrator is completely inept, an email account doesn't get deleted by accident.
RunboxCustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunboxCustomer View Post
Unless the administrator is completely inept, an email account doesn't get deleted by accident.
Unless someone thought she wasn't using it anymore. I try to assume the best in people but prepare for the worst.

On that note, this is a good reason to backup your own email regularly. I and many others use mailstore.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote