EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Jul 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

A question before connecting via CardDav...

Before I connect my OS X address book to FM, I want to make sure I understand what is (and is not...) going to happen.

My OS X address book is configured with a number of contact groups to which contacts are assigned (some contacts are assigned to multiple groups).

1. Am I correct that after enabling FM contacts via carddav that these groups will be preserved and carried over the FM address book?

2. What will happen to the existing contacts on FM? Will they now appear in my OS X (and iOS, since I sync my OS X contacts via iCloud to my iDevices) address book as uncategorized contacts?

3. My OS X address book sycs with multiple iCloud addresses...what is going to happen in that case when I link up via carddav to the FM contacts?

Thanks for your help.
camner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Jul 2015, 03:06 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

This is what I understand:
  • When you add the CardDAV address book, it is treated as completely separate from the default address book
  • You will be able to see the contacts and groups from both address books.
  • One of these will be your default address book and searched first.
  • You probably want to move contacts and groups from the default address book to the (Fastmail) CardDAV address book
In summary, adding the Fastmail CardDAV address book should not hurt anything, but will not give you a single synced set of contacts and groups without additional steps.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote