EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 3 Jun 2006, 11:17 AM   #16
jplowman

I've been using JLmail about 3 months. It's been reliable so far, though of course reading the threads on it here gives me pause. I am sticking with it as long as it's steady though, because of a feature I can't find anywhere else: a free account with IMAP access.

I use Thunderbird, but only to download and archive emails I want to keep. The difference between IMAP access and POP access is stunning. I can delete jlmail emails from inside Thunderbird and they are deleted at jlmail, and if I drag and drop an email from my other email accounts in Thunderbird, or from my own machine, it appears in the jlmail inbox the next time I log into jlmail - in the proper location determined by the email's original date, just as if it was emailed to jlmail. This beats POP by miles!

However there's trouble in paradise. For the last few days Thunderbird can't access my jlmail account - it says "account timed out." Does Jeremy read these threads? What is the issue with IMAP logins?

Thanks for otherwise providing a great service. I also love the clean, no-frills World Client interface.
Jonathan
jplowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2006, 09:40 PM   #17
jdtaylor
Master of the @

As of my last attempt, I could not even access the Jlmail website, so I am wondering if these are more upgrade problems come back, but it doesn't look good at this minute in time...
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2006, 10:43 AM   #18
jplowman

Strange, I can access the website.
Old 5 Jun 2006, 03:21 AM   #19
gunnarj
Essential Contributor

What is the server for IMAP when working?

thank you
gunnarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2006, 09:09 AM   #20
jplowman

it's mail.jlmail.com.

POP access still seems to be working, I am using the tray application "eprompter" to notify me when I get new messages and that still gets the jlmail emails. Only Thunderbird has the problem.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 07:28 PM   #21
jplowman

New problem now. Recently emails from my jlmail account couldn't be delivered to email addresses, some at aol and some elsewhere.

According to someone who I had to contact using my bluebottle account instead...

Quote:
Thanks for forwarding that message - it looks like your e-mail server is on a common junk mail blocking list called the DSBL (basically a list of e-mail servers that are unprotected and usable by spammers). There's a detailed report on your server's blocking at http://dsbl.org/listing?70.255.224.246 - if you're acquainted with the person who runs your mail server, you might want to e-mail them and let them know they're on that list, as it's pretty widely used and will likely result in a lot of bounced messages until the server is fixed.
damn...
Old 11 Jun 2006, 08:32 PM   #22
jdtaylor
Master of the @

It does make you wonder how many accounts if any spammers were able to use, as I do use Mdeaemon for my own domain and the spam filter has been proving extremely reliable, but I know the system can cause problems sending emails like I have experinced elsewhere, so it's a simple case I believe of waiting a few days for the ip address to be unlisited, as I think it remains poisited for a certain amount of time from what I remember 14 days before being removed from the list.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 06:52 AM   #23
cheviot
Essential Contributor

IMAP is now WORKING

Anyone know if SMTP access is up, and if so, settings?
cheviot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2006, 01:33 AM   #24
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Hi,

I believe smtp is on the standard port on mail.jlmail.com using smtp authentication.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 07:48 AM   #25
jlnt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
JLMail.com
Hey, how is everyone? It's been a while since I have checked the threads here at emailaddresses.com. The Imap issue will be fixed in about 10 minutes from this posting. I don't understand how to setup a PTR for my ip address since I don't own it. I have called SBC and they said that they couldn't set it up. Which blocks all emails from having a chance to be sent to AOL.com. I wished I had a solution for this. I will research a new service or maybe buy the Ip addresses from SBC so I can setup a reverse PTR. The reason why we keep getting blocked by open relay sites I could only imagine. They think that spammers are sending these emails without being authenticated, well they thought wrong the spammers signup then send out the emails in mass, I am now deleting every email account that has Dr. Frank or UKLottery. I hope this solves everyones issue.

Good Luck,

JL
jlnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2006, 08:17 AM   #26
jlnt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
JLMail.com
Alright Good News!!!

I am on the phone with SBC right now, and they are setting up the reverse PTR plus a TTL. So that all of the blockers will unblock my service.

Other good news we are adding a server in Dallas and 1 more in Cisco to make things faster.

Jeremy
Old 22 Jul 2006, 02:52 AM   #27
jlnt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
JLMail.com
PTR Record

As of July 21, 2006, JLMail.com now has a ptr record and should be erased from all sites blocking emails.

If you would like to confirm, just goto http://www.dnsstuff.com and in the reverse dns field type jlmail.com it will then give you the results.

Thank you,

Jeremy H Langford
Old 23 Jul 2006, 05:37 AM   #28
gunnarj
Essential Contributor

Thanks Jeremy.

Hoping things will be better and better...

gj
gunnarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2006, 04:17 PM   #29
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by jplowman
a feature I can't find anywhere else: a free account with IMAP access.
www.m2x.eu or mail.pilu.com
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2006, 03:20 AM   #30
bramhall
Essential Contributor

also laposte.net, aol.com, fastmail.fm
bramhall is offline   Reply With Quote