EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Oct 2006, 12:39 AM   #46
publicease

I just spoke with tuffmail. He has phone support only 9-6 eastern time. They're in Florida. He recommended webmail.us. They have 24 hour phone support.

The tuffmail guy was bummed fastmail was having issues. He says it's a nightmare for him also as all the fastmail people come to him for a short time then go back to fastmail.

He specializes in East Coast US companies.
publicease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 12:40 AM   #47
fnegroni

Following the outage this morning, I opened a gmail.com account and was ready to move all my fastmail emails over there... just to find I was on the wrong server at the wrong time!
Come the end of the weekend fastmail won't be my main account and should be a thing of the past.
It was cool while it lasted. But recently it is just driving me and my wife insane. And all the people I referred too.
I may keep it as a spare spam bin...

Sorry chaps, but this is too much!
fnegroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 12:42 AM   #48
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk700

A few folks mentioned TuffMail... is there a forum for them so I can see how happy/unhappy their users are? Time to do some research to see if I want to stick with Fastmail longer, or jump ship.
If the past is any indication, and unless Tuffmail has changed policy, those who are suffering during this latest FM outage won't exactly be welcome right now.

I downgraded and apparently I'm on server 2 now. Web mail at least is working for me at the moment. But of course that's subject to change...

(edit) I really do wonder sometimes if maybe FastMail bit off more than they can chew a long time ago...
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 12:46 AM   #49
wishlish

You have webmail? Lucky you. I got nada. Ugh...
wishlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 01:15 AM   #50
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
If the past is any indication, and unless Tuffmail has changed policy, those who are suffering during this latest FM outage won't exactly be welcome right now.
I won't be switching (if I switch) right away. I want to research things. Look at TuffMail, other servers, etc. Maybe it's time to get my own domain and hook that to e-mail,
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 01:21 AM   #51
publicease

I'm gone - webmail.us

the guy was great 99.99% guaranteed uptime.
publicease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 01:49 AM   #52
davet

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen

I downgraded and apparently I'm on server 2 now. Web mail at least is working for me at the moment. But of course that's subject to change...
What does that mean when you say you downgraded? Are you just talking about your account, like going from full to enhanced, and that puts you on a different server?
Thanks.
davet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 02:04 AM   #53
fhapgood
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk700
I won't be switching (if I switch) right away. I want to research things. Look at TuffMail, other servers, etc. Maybe it's time to get my own domain and hook that to e-mail,
Anybody who is looking for the magic service that will spare them the inconvenience of getting a backup account is on a fool's errand. All services go down and they all go down at the moment of maximum inconvenience. That is the law, and it operates in no sphere of life more relentlessly than with computers.

I can't understand why this simple fact is taking so long to get taken seriously, given how often the lesson has been taught. What is the problem? Do people have some deep psychic resistance to the idea of redundancy? People used to have problems doing backups. Maybe it's the same psychology at work.

Anyway, Fastmail is doing a great service to the community if its tribulations are forcing people to get backup accounts.

It took like a hundred years for wireline phones to develop the reliability they have now and it will take email just as long. Maybe longer.
fhapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 02:20 AM   #54
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by davet
What does that mean when you say you downgraded? Are you just talking about your account, like going from full to enhanced, and that puts you on a different server?
Thanks.
I'm sorry, I misinterpreted header information. Actually I haven't been paying that much attention to it lately. I'm still on server 4. By the way, I went from member to enhanced to full back to member again.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 02:30 AM   #55
MikeL
Essential Contributor

Question about DNS

I currently have my own domain, registered via 1&1, but have my MX records pointing at the messagingengine.com servers. If I temporarily redirect my MX records to my 1&1 account, will backlogged email go there, or is will it still be in the queue at FastMail?

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 02:45 AM   #56
fahrner

Quote:
Originally posted by fhapgood
All services go down and they all go down at the moment of maximum inconvenience. That is the law, and it operates in no sphere of life more relentlessly than with computers.
Yes, every mail provider has some outages. But in the range of hours, not days!!!
fahrner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 02:51 AM   #57
lgnki

Im outta here, it's been fun fastmail! Yahoo's slick new interface and uptime won me over, best of luck!
lgnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 02:58 AM   #58
BinaryTB
Essential Contributor

Re: Question about DNS

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeL
I currently have my own domain, registered via 1&1, but have my MX records pointing at the messagingengine.com servers. If I temporarily redirect my MX records to my 1&1 account, will backlogged email go there, or is will it still be in the queue at FastMail?
I believe only new mail (once the MX propagates) will go to 1&1, queued mail will stay queued.
BinaryTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:10 AM   #59
wishlish

Just a question- would it be too much to ask for hourly updates on the issue? I'm sorry, but when you take my email down for 3 *curse word inserted here*ing days, I'd at least like to see what's going on each hour. We've heard nothing from the Fastmail team in a few hours. At least give us an update!
wishlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:11 AM   #60
marc1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by wishlish
Just a question- would it be too much to ask for hourly updates on the issue?
AGREED!

FM needs to update the status blog instead of (or, ideally, in addition to) responding to individual posts.

Users should not have to digg through multiple threads trying to figure out what is the latest update!

Last edited by marc1 : 28 Oct 2006 at 04:34 AM.
marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote