EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:13 AM   #61
MikeL
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Question about DNS

Quote:
Originally posted by Spooon69
I believe only new mail (once the MX propagates) will go to 1&1, queued mail will stay queued.
Thanks!

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:16 AM   #62
lieckfeldt

Since the previous disaster I'm using the remaining months of my enhanced account to forward mail to Tuffmail and Gmail. Both have been consistently better dealing with the latest spam surge, even the dreaded stock spam.

Gos without saying that all the other accounts I have, Tuffmail, Yahoo, gmail, hotmail are consistently more reliable than Fastmail these days. no point getting angry though, they're simply ridiculous. You can only pity them or laugh at them.
lieckfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:17 AM   #63
MikeL
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by wishlish
Just a question- would it be too much to ask for hourly updates on the issue? I'm sorry, but when you take my email down for 3 *curse word inserted here*ing days, I'd at least like to see what's going on each hour. We've heard nothing from the Fastmail team in a few hours. At least give us an update!
Sounds good in theory, but sometimes, when you're working on a problem, breaking off every hour just to say "still working on it, no change from last update" can be a distraction that would actually slow things down. I sort of doubt they're just sitting around staring at a screen waiting for something to finish. Personally, I think that posting an update when something actually changes from the last comment is a reasonable approach.

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:19 AM   #64
peaceforall

Quote:
Originally posted by wishlish
Just a question- would it be too much to ask for hourly updates on the issue? I'm sorry, but when you take my email down for 3 *curse word inserted here*ing days, I'd at least like to see what's going on each hour. We've heard nothing from the Fastmail team in a few hours. At least give us an update!

I agree!!! I still have my mail this time, but things are going bad the last year. Slowly we run backwards with FM. And all we came for is a reliable e-mail service. I wish you strength with the 3 days outage!!!
Ciao, Patrick.
peaceforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:29 AM   #65
sussdorff

Backup with fastmail

I run two domains and 5 accounts with fastmail and I explicitly asked to keep at least of them on different servers. They said they could not do this, though I wonder why (and it took them three weeks to get back to me).

I would be willing to keep up with this if I could ask them to move my accounts to specific servers. So far I was just lucky that they have them on different machines.

Additionally I wonder, if Server 3 is the one which is redundant and has failed in the past, why they did not move the enhanced members off the server first (if they did, they must have a lot of enhanced members).

Harsh as it might sound, but I would expect the paying members to be moved first to redundant setups and preferably (hehe) in order of contribution .

Last but not least, people mentioned "backup" email services. Well, this is nice and shining, but how do you keep a redundant e-mail service? Just having additional accounts does me no good when I want to recieve e-mails.

It would be a great idea if the fastmail crew would allow users to change their rules even though the IMAP is down. This would guarantee that email still can be delivered to the backup email account. How do I know? All email coming to my domain is still being delivered to the other 4 accounts, but sadly I cannot change the routing on the main account to get it delivered to the backup emails addresses.
sussdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:46 AM   #66
wishlish

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeL
Sounds good in theory, but sometimes, when you're working on a problem, breaking off every hour just to say "still working on it, no change from last update" can be a distraction that would actually slow things down. I sort of doubt they're just sitting around staring at a screen waiting for something to finish. Personally, I think that posting an update when something actually changes from the last comment is a reasonable approach.

-Mike
Sorry, but I disagree with you. When I've managed outages in the past, I always provided an hourly update. It's what your customers expect, and it minimizes a lot of complaints later. Expecting us to go hours without an update is not reasonable.
wishlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:55 AM   #67
dsdee

Any chance that when Updates are inserted into the Status Weblog, that the time of the update could be inserted too? I know there's one outage right now that was first noted in the log at 1335 GMT and has been updated a few times, but it's now 1855 GMT and you can't tell how long it's been since the last update.

Just a request/suggestion...
dsdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 03:57 AM   #68
fahrner

Quote:
Originally posted by lieckfeldt
Since the previous disaster I'm using the remaining months of my enhanced account to forward mail to Tuffmail and Gmail. Both have been consistently better dealing with the latest spam surge, even the dreaded stock spam.

Gos without saying that all the other accounts I have, Tuffmail, Yahoo, gmail, hotmail are consistently more reliable than Fastmail these days. no point getting angry though, they're simply ridiculous. You can only pity them or laugh at them.
Full ACK!
I'm in the lucky situation that I registered for a trial account at tuffmail.com last week and moved all my data to tuffmail. I only needed to change the MX in my DNS to switch over to tuffmail.
First I was too lazy to do the switch. Fastmail was very comfortable and I was to lazy to discover all the features and settings of tuffmail.
This outage now gave me the last kick. There was no other way than to do the switch, and now I can/must explore tuffmail.com.
Maybe I never come back....
fahrner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 04:02 AM   #69
kwiebe

Data loss?

Does anyone know what the chances are that there will be a loss of data because of this outage? Messages I had stored in folders, already in my Inbox, etc.???

It would have been much better if the status page had info geared toward customer impact rather than that awful, "good news, bad news" format -- does anyone else think there must be adolescents writing that stuff? Horrible, horrible
kwiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 05:10 AM   #70
beq
Cornerstone of the Community

I know this doesn't help those affected by the outage, but FWIW all of my family's 4 primary Enhanced accounts (and other accounts) are working fine, with no slowdown in webmail performance.
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 05:18 AM   #71
NJSS
Master of the @

kwiebe wrote:-

Quote:
Does anyone know what the chances are that there will be a loss of data because of this outage? Messages I had stored in folders, already in my Inbox, etc.???
IMHO it is highly unlikely that you will loose any data - I cannot recollect any user complaining of data loss from past outages.
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 06:03 AM   #72
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I recall differently: There are posts about message loss or undelivered messages after some of the previous outages.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:23 AM   #73
tonyB

Quote:
Originally posted by William9
I recall differently: There are posts about message loss or undelivered messages after some of the previous outages.
What posts? Where? Which outages?
OK so I'm as frustrated as the next server 3 user, but it doesn't help to have loose allegations about lost emails please!
If you have a link, post it. If you have some other evidence or information, share it!
tonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:32 AM   #74
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I've been with f/m for 4 years I don't think I've ever lost an e-mail, sometimes you get paranoid and you think you have but after checking and double checking every thing was 100%

I have my domain with F/m and currently all my mail is being forwarded to another back up mailbox although I can't get into my F/m one. What does it cost $39.95 a year....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 07:36 AM   #75
kastaway
= Permanently banned =

Ciao, bella

I've migrated. By luck, a week ago I did a house-cleaning of my email on FM (over 1.3GB). Today I discovered that I won't have email until Monday? Sorry, no. I just setup a Google Hosted Domain, and pointed my MX records over there. Email is already arriving. It'll take a bit of convincing to switch back to my Enhanced FM account.

Bye for now. Maybe forever.

PS: complaints about data loss are rubbish. I was affected by the last 3-5 day outage, and had hundreds of MBs of email arrive, queued and waiting when it was over. I think *one* person complained here about losing emails, and that was debunked or at least made ambiguous in follow-up posts.

FM are good people, but I can't deal with this sorry story of catch-up reliability, month after month, year after year.
kastaway is offline   Reply With Quote