EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Jul 2009, 08:03 PM   #16
zaaz777
Essential Contributor

Problem solved I was going to Options>Personal Domains
In Fastmail Pro it is as below:-
Manage>Custom DNS or
Manage>Domains etc,
Thank you all you nice folks at EMD for being so patient and helpfull
zaaz777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2011, 10:45 AM   #17
valuequest

Let us presume that I am using some nameservers other than ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com to point mx records for my domain at the smtp.messagingengine.com servers (I have a business account and I've set virtual domain records up to handle the traffic). Can I set a C name record so that I can still use a custom login page?

Last edited by valuequest : 11 Mar 2011 at 10:54 AM.
valuequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2011, 11:38 AM   #18
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Special login URL mail.yourdomain.xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuequest View Post
Let us presume that I am using some nameservers other than ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com to point mx records for my domain at the smtp.messagingengine.com servers (I have a business account and I've set virtual domain records up to handle the traffic). Can I set a C name record so that I can still use a custom login page?
The MX setting only affects SMTP connections by email servers trying to send mail to your domain, so should have no bearing on a web login. The internal Fastmail Custom DNS feature allows you to use your own domain name for the mail login (which then redirects to a Fastmail login page). You should be able to do this by setting your DNS records to publish the following:
Code:
mail.yourdomain.xxx   IN  A  66.111.4.51
mail.yourdomain.xxx   IN  A  66.111.4.52
I checked and those are the records automatically created right now, so you should be able to do this with your DNS supplier. My guess is that those addresses will stay stable for a long time, but may not be permanent. When you have this set up (and after the DNS changes propagate), you can use the URL mail.yourdomain.xxx to get to the special FastMail - professional email login page.You will have to log in using your full Fastmail username (which includes @ and a Fastmail domain name) and your normal account password.

All of my description is for the personal Enhanced account, but I think it's identical for a business account. If not, hopefully someone will provide a correction.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2011, 12:54 AM   #19
valuequest

Hey I appreciate that detailed response Bill... I tried setting A name records as you suggested up on the nameservers that I use for this domain... but after waiting for the changes to propagate http://mail.{my domain} resolves to the messagingengine.com error page below.

If anyone else can get A name records for custom login pages as Bill suggested set up on external nameservers and working please post... thanks!

Quote:
MessagingEngine.com

You have tried to access the MessagingEngine.com site http://mail.{my domain}. Unfortunately you cannot directly go to this site to log into your MessagingEngine.com account.

Please go to the main mail site and login from there.

If you received this message while using a bookmarked URL, please delete the existing bookmark, go to the appropriate screen again, and re-create the bookmark.

Thank you
Old 12 Mar 2011, 11:42 AM   #20
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Question If your Virtual Domain is set up, it should be working

I'm not sure why this isn't working for you. The Fastmail help in fact does suggest using a CNAME reference to mail.messagingengine.com. The internal Fastmail DNS hosting set up the records shown below for me at mail.mydomain.net, so it appears to me that A records work just as well as CNAME records. In "DIG format":
Code:
mail.mydomain.net.        86400  IN  A  66.111.4.51
mail.mydomain.net.        86400  IN  A  66.111.4.52
The help says that family/business accounts can log in with just the username. I know from experience that Enhanced personal accounts must use the complete username@fastmaildomain username for such a login.

When you go to Options>Virtual Domains, in the table at the bottom do you see your domain listed, with the DNS column showing Ext? And does the Routing column show Auto(Int)? Of course, TTL can make changing DNS records rather slow, and it's not unusual to have a one day (86400 second) TTL delay. If you are getting that error message, it appears that you have the A record set up correctly and the DNS changes have propagated, but unless the Fastmail Virtual Domain screen knows about your domain this operation will probably fail with the error you show.

Bill
Old 12 Mar 2011, 10:18 PM   #21
valuequest

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
When you go to Options>Virtual Domains, in the table at the bottom do you see your domain listed, with the DNS column showing Ext?
Ahhhh.... okay Bill I think you may have identified the problem here...The DNS setting for the domain shows Us, which probably results from the setting up of this business account. I'm not quite sure how to change that setting since both the masteruser and another user name are in this domain, but that's a different issue for a different thread. Thanks Bill!
Old 13 Mar 2011, 04:53 AM   #22
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

No, very sorry, that was my error, since I was thinking about the DNS hosting rather than where the MX record points. If you see DNS set to Us, then Fastmail thinks that your MX records point to their mail server (no matter where your DNS is hosted). In this case, I think the redirected login from mail.yourdomain.xxx should work.

I still don't understand why this isn't working for you. I have an Enhanced personal account, but I thought that these questions were identical between a personal and business account. You might want to file a support ticket (using the Start Here link at the bottom of any page when your are logged into your Fastmail account). And please post back here in this thread when you determine the answer.

Bill
Old 17 Mar 2011, 08:36 AM   #23
valuequest

Okay... (ahem) ... I did not realize that a page named custom.lhtml needs to be in a folder named login in the file storage area in order for custom login to work. Thanks Yassar...

Last edited by valuequest : 17 Mar 2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 06:08 PM   #24
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuequest View Post
That's cool!
I didn't know about it!

I wonder if there are any security implications involved in creating a page with buttons to prefill usernames for the family members.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2013, 01:02 PM   #25
aussieboykie
Essential Contributor

Question

I have an Enhanced account with my own domain. When attempting to access FastMail login via http://mail.mydomain.com, I get the following FastMail error message..

Quote:
User page unknown

The page you have tried to access is not a valid known user. Please check that you have the correct URL and try again.
I am using Standard DNS. My configuration (edited to change my real domain name to mydomain) is...

Quote:
The domain mydomain.com is currently in standard mode, which means we're currently publishing the following DNS records:

mydomain.com Type=MX TTL=3600 STANDARD_MX (standard email - e.g. user@mydomain.com)
*.mydomain.com Type=MX TTL=3600 STANDARD_MX (subdomain addressed email - e.g. user@mail.mydomain.com)
mydomain.com Type=A TTL=3600 STANDARD_WEB (main website - http://mydomain.com/)
*.mydomain.com Type=A TTL=3600 STANDARD_WEB (subdomain websites - including http://www.mydomain.com/)
mail.mydomain.com Type=A TTL=3600 STANDARD_MAIL (webmail login - http://mail.mydomain.com/)
mydomain.com Type=CSV TTL=3600 CSV_DENY_ALL (no email sending machines identify as mydomain.com)
mydomain.com Type=JABBER TTL=3600 STANDARD_JABBER (standard chat server - chat.messagingengine.com)
wap.mydomain.com Type=A TTL=3600 STANDARD_WAP (cellphone WAP service - http://wap.mydomain.com/)
mydomain.com Type=DKIM TTL=3600 STANDARD_DKIM (dkim key mesmtp._domainkey.mydomain.com)
This looks OK to me. Any suggestions?

Regards, AB
aussieboykie is offline   Reply With Quote