EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Oct 2007, 02:23 PM   #1
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Single redirect login

I'm just rolling out the new logic that changes the entire login process to a single redirect rather than the 3 redirects it's currently doing. It still displays the "loading account..." message, but it should now be just as fast or faster than it even was before this message appeared.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Oct 2007, 03:38 PM   #2
petergh
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
I'm just rolling out the new logic that changes the entire login process to a single redirect rather than the 3 redirects it's currently doing. It still displays the "loading account..." message, but it should now be just as fast or faster than it even was before this message appeared.

Rob
If it's faster to log in, and no load message was displayed before, why display one now?

I think the psychological effect of displaying that message is that it will seem to take longer to log in that it really does, because such messages are usually only displayed when something is going to take a little while (i.e., more than 1-2 seconds).

Peter
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 03:44 PM   #3
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
...I think the psychological effect of displaying that message is that it will seem to take longer to log in that it really does...
Indeed, I have the same feeling. I don't like the (pre)loading message too much.
But it is not that much of a deal...
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 04:56 PM   #4
aaronlawrence

Rob: this will rock! As I ranted before the tiny login screen is blindingly fast, but it felt a bit sluggish once you did the login. This should resolve that.

What were all the redirects for, btw? I see a lot of systems doing a stack of them (apparently) and it always seems strange, since surely the first redirect can be changed to point to the destination ... ?

I think that the concensus in the UI world is that showing feedback makes it seem FASTER not slower, because people feel something is happening instead of just watching a blank screen... but I don't have statistics to back that up
aaronlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I dont like the message its like as Gmail type thing....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Rob
Are you planning on leaving this message active? I don't know if it is real or perceived, but there seems to be a dramatic increase in login time for me now.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
Are you planning on leaving this message active? I don't know if it is real or perceived, but there seems to be a dramatic increase in login time for me now.
I agree it takes longer....can we have a vote to see if we really need it
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 03:57 PM   #8
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I've added s an option on the Options -> Account Preferences page to disable IMAP folder sync on login, which also removes the redirect message and goes back to exactly the old code path.

Rob
Old 22 Oct 2007, 04:29 PM   #9
rabarberski
Master of the @

I don't understand what this sync folder thing actually does.

I use IMAP clients all the time (as well as the webinterface) and I never had problems with non-synchronized folders. Why would i want to enable "sync folders on login" starting from now?
Old 22 Oct 2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
I've added s an option on the Options -> Account Preferences page to disable IMAP folder sync on login, which also removes the redirect message and goes back to exactly the old code path.
Rob
Woot! Thanks bunches, Rob!
I have de-clicked the box, and login is much sweeter!
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 12:00 PM   #11
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
Woot! Thanks bunches, Rob!
I have de-clicked the box, and login is much sweeter!
I must admit that once I went back to the 'old way' it's much faster.

But - I will sometimes make/create/rename a folder via Thunderbird. Is that what this is there for? Normally I have to go into folders, go all the way to the end to get to the new folders and hit done for it to have them all there, does this fix that?

Last edited by the bishop : 23 Oct 2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: yes
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 12:55 PM   #12
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
If you create/rename/delete folders in your IMAP client, then previously if you logged to the web interface, those changes would not be automatically picked up until you went to the Options -> Folders screen.

The recent change that added the "Loading mailbox..." message also did a IMAP -> web interface folder sync on login so you didn't need to go to Options -> Folders.

By unchecking the checkbox on the Options -> Account Preferences screen, you're going back to the old code which did not sync folders on login, and doesn't display the redirect message.

Rob
Old 23 Oct 2007, 02:20 PM   #13
MikeL
Essential Contributor

Now that I understand what it's for, I love it. I create personalities with new email addresses in my domain and folders to go with them all the time in Thunderbird, and I love having the sync happen automatically! Now I just need to figure out how to sync my personalities in the web interface with those in Thunderbird automatically!

-Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 03:18 PM   #14
rabarberski
Master of the @

Rob, thanks for the explanation
Old 23 Oct 2007, 09:08 PM   #15
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Sounds good to me! I never use anything besides the web interface, but understand the rationale behind a redirect/sync delay. Thanks for allowing us the ability to disable this!
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote