EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 18 Mar 2019, 08:29 PM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Gmail might be getting scheduled emails

Quote:
It looks like the feature is in the works.

A teardown of the latest Gmail APK (version 2019.03.03.238017425) by 9to5Google has indeed yielded references to scheduled emails. So how will it actually work?

You can apparently choose to schedule an email to be sent at least two minutes into the future, but the maximum length must be “less than 50 years.” It’s unclear if that means you can schedule an email to be sent 49 years into the future, or if the actual limit is significantly lower.

Want to cancel that scheduled message? Then users can indeed do so, according to the references, with the scheduled message appearing in your drafts. But the outlet suggests that scheduled messages can’t be cancelled if the sender is offline.
https://www.androidauthority.com/gma...emails-966579/
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Mar 2019, 06:39 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I like the idea. I often work on things on weekends or odd times of the day, and it would be great to schedule emails to arrive when someone is likely to read the message. Email marketing studies indicate the best times for email opens tend to be mid-morning on weekdays. I've experimented with this quite a bit for email newsletters and such and Tuesday at 10am tends to be quite good, and Saturday at 10am can also be effective. I think the same situation prevails for personal messages you want to be read. It would be nice to cue up a birthday email the weekend before the birthday and know it will be delivered on the right day.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2019, 03:44 PM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Everything can be used and abused. If scheduled emails are to be deployes to send spam at times "when someone is likely to read the message" then this new facility isn't exactly good news.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2019, 07:48 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Email marketing companies have been scheduling emails for years. They analyze when you are most likely to open your emails and automatically adjust sending time so the email arrives in your Inbox at the right time. This is individualized for each person's habits. For example, I see very few marketing emails outside of morning hours, which is when I tend to check them. I personally don't find this abusive at all, but to each his own. I get very little SPAM because I unsubscribe if I don't want emails from some company, and if they don't honor the unsubscribe I block them in Gmail and they are gone. This is one of the great benefits of using Gmail--very little SPAM.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 05:26 AM   #5
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I have a Gmail account, but I hardly ever use it, it's mainly just a back-up I guess. I use this service to schedule an email. It has it's own web interface, or one can compose and schedule an email in one's own email client or service.

http://www.lettermelater.com/

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 30 Jun 2019 at 06:03 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2019, 02:22 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Gmail scheduled send is now available

This new schedule send feature is now working in my account when I use web browser or iOS app access. I don't have an Android device and I'm not sure if this feature is being rolled out at one time or slowly across accounts. The web feature using my PC appeared to be available a little before the iOS feature showed up on my iPhone.
  • On the web browser, you will see a down-arrow at the right end of the Send button. Click that down-arrow (rather than Send) and you will be given the choice to schedule send.
  • On the iOS app (version 6.0.190324), you will see three grouped dots to the right of the right-arrow Send button. Click those three dots (rather than the Send right-arrow) and you will be given the choice to schedule send.
  • I believe you need to schedule the message at least 3 or so minutes in the future.
  • The latest date which can be used to schedule the message seems to be about 14 days before 50 years in the future.
  • The scheduled message will appear in the Scheduled messages list. You can cancel any scheduled messages, and after cancellation they move to your Drafts list. You can then reschedule that message to a different scheduled time or send it immediately.
  • The scheduled message is given a Date header which is on or within a few seconds after the scheduled time. In my experience, the message is sent by the Gmail outgoing SMTP server roughly a minute later. So if you schedule a message for delivery at 8:00 AM, the Date header might show 08:00:06 and the message might be delivered at 08:01:10.
Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 20 Apr 2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added 50 years in the future limit.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2019, 06:12 PM   #7
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

It appears to be available for android gmail apps also. At least it is for my account, but as Bill said, they may be just slowly rolling it out. I don't remember exactly how to do it, but I started to compose a new email and that feature was available. I haven't tried it yet either.

Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2019, 08:39 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

It is available on the Android Gmail app. When composing an email select the three vertical dots in the upper right corner and you get four options: send this morning, send this afternoon, send this evening, and choose a date and time. This will actually be useful to me as I correspond to some people in other time zones and I know that emails are more likely to be seen and opened when a person is awake and using their phone.
Old 26 Apr 2020, 11:30 PM   #9
cmac

i wish fastmail would do this..i came here thinking maybe fastmail has implemented such a feature but no, apparently. not.
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote