EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 30 Nov 2023, 10:55 PM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Google starts deleting unused accounts

From 1 December 2023 Google will start deleting unused accounts (including, but not limited to, Gmail).
As this Google blog entry explains, this will be a phased process, with plenty of warning. Accounts that were created and never used will be the first to go.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Dec 2023, 10:29 PM   #2
Bamb0
Master of the @

Why do they care if accts arent used??

It doesnt take any space having them there really
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2023, 03:33 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Why do they care if accts arent used??
It doesnt take any space having them there really
You need to read the first two paragraphs in the link in the first post in this thread. It’s all about security. All companies should close unused accounts to reduce the ability of criminals to take over such accounts and do many bad things with them.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2023, 04:43 AM   #4
pjroutledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
All companies should close unused accounts to reduce the ability of criminals to take over such accounts and do many bad things with them.

Bill
Agree, but if Google is deleting unused accounts, and the account id (email address, or whatever) consequently becomes available for re-use, could a criminal create a new account with the same id and do many bad things with it?

For example, if I had an old but recently unused account 'bill.gates@gmail.com' that was deleted by Google, would a bad guy be able to create a new 'bill.gates@gmail.com' account and then perpetrate bad things by purporting to be the original bill.gates? (Assuming that the old account had established some credibility or trust among bill.gates contacts and/or accounts on other websites in the past.)

Seems unlikely, but the article doesn't seem to clearly say whether deleted ids become available again.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2023, 05:10 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Gmail does not recycle email addresses of deleted accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
Agree, but if Google is deleting unused accounts, and the account id (email address, or whatever) consequently becomes available for re-use, could a criminal create a new account with the same id and do many bad things with it? …
Google has a policy of not recycling usernames, so that old email address is not available for re-use. See:
https://support.google.com/accounts/...21795109785-NC
… and:
https://support.google.com/mail/answ...233519696&rd=1

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2023, 01:54 PM   #6
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Have no issue with this. They announced this awhile ago. You want to keep the account then use it. Why have an account if you are not going to use it. By "use it" I periodically access it. For example check for messages. I check all of my accounts daily with one click of a button.

Last edited by chrisretusn : 3 Dec 2023 at 02:41 PM.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2023, 04:29 PM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
All companies should close unused accounts to reduce the ability of criminals to take over such accounts and do many bad things with them.
This applies equally to regularly used accounts,

Last edited by janusz : 2 Dec 2023 at 04:52 PM.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2023, 12:32 AM   #8
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn
Have no issue with this. They announced this awhile ago. You want to keep the account then use it.
Yea your right........ Its just wierd seeing a company clean up like that,they usually do not.....

Last edited by Bamb0 : 3 Dec 2023 at 11:32 PM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2023, 02:53 PM   #9
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Yea your right........ Its just weird seeing a company clean up like that,they usually do not.....
Yes, this is the first I've seen of a cleanup like this. <Thinking...> I'm thinking there was another not to long ago.

It shouldn't be a data issue, but it could be. I remember the day when you had very little space for email and no attachments. If attachments were allowed, it wouldn't take much to fill you server inbox. It was expected that you download and deleted emails from the server. These days accounts can have loads of messages and files associated with their accounts. I think 15GB is the max limit these days. Multiply that by lots of dead accounts, it adds up. That said, as I put on my tinfoil hat, they are probably deleting the account access but keeping the goods. <sheepish grin>.

I POP3 all of my accounts and delete all after from the server. I'm kind of old school.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote