EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Feb 2022, 05:48 AM   #1
bschelle

Fastmail Inbox emptied by itself.

Today my inbox emptied without me making this move myself. Any ideas as to why this happened? I did not move them or delete them. Lost some old messages that i wanted to keep. I tried to restore them but all of them did not restore. It says none have been deleted in the last 24 hours. What did I do to cause this to happen?
bschelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Feb 2022, 06:15 AM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschelle View Post
Today my inbox emptied without me making this move myself. Any ideas as to why this happened? I did not move them or delete them. Lost some old messages that i wanted to keep. I tried to restore them but all of them did not restore. It says none have been deleted in the last 24 hours. What did I do to cause this to happen?
Are you using any email client apps or only the FastMail webmail? Perhaps the delete was done from one of those apps.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2022, 08:01 AM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschelle View Post
Messages could vanish from any folder if you have that folder's setting "Permanently delete unpinned messages in this folder after" nn days (default seems to be 31) turned on. Check that in Settings - Account - Folders - Inbox - (Edit) - Advanced preferences.

Otherwise, the only people possibly able to work out what happened are Fastmail Support.

You need to ask them if they can tell what happened, but also whether they can restore mails from some other backup.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2022, 12:29 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

When this happens, it is virtually always a result of some activity by an external mail client. In the past, this was often because an external mail client was set up to retrieve messages from Fastmail using POP.

The first thing to do is search for one of the emails that you know for certain was among those that disappeared. Perhaps, the message still exists somewhere else. I assume you already checked the Trash folder.

If the messages are still missing,
  1. Go to Settings ->Passwords & Security
  2. On the extreme right of the line Logged in sessions, click Review
  3. At the bottom of the screen showing current logged in sessions, click on View all logins in the last 4 weeks

This shows you everywhere your account has been accessed within the last four weeks. If there is any connection that mentions POP, that will be the cause of the problem. Otherwise, look through the recent sessions, and see if they all are from devices you own or used. Act accordingly.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2022, 04:40 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps your phone...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2022, 03:22 PM   #6
EricG
Essential Contributor

This is why I always disable POP3. You never know what mail apps default to.
I'm using gmail & outlook, can't remember if fastmail had that option.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2022, 06:48 PM   #7
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

POP 3 does not delete from the server if you tick the box....the others can be a nuisance.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote