EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Nov 2013, 03:44 AM   #16
chuckremes

I just signed up for a 30-day trial for Office 365 Small Business Premium. I'll give it a try and see how it goes to report back here for those who are interested.

I did look at fruux.com. However, we need the Office suite for our users. The Office 365 subscription allows us to get desktop as well as web versions of Word, Excel, etc. for up to *5* devices per user for $12 per month. For 50 cents more, I can do email and calendaring with a 25GB mailbox limit per user, IM, voice, Skydrive, etc.. It's hard to say no to these other services when we are already paying for Office.
chuckremes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2013, 05:58 AM   #17
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
We're working hard on it! We're pushing for end of the year for Calendar and so far that's looking like a very achievable target.

A little more detail on progress. The UI is probably about 90% done and the API & middleware layer about the same. The Cyrus CalDAV code has been ported to Cyrus 2.5 but isn't stable yet.

In fact on Monday I'll be working with the devs to get the whole thing deployed to beta for FastMail staff to start serious testing (though nothing for you guys yet).

So yeah, getting close
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2013, 07:46 PM   #18
chuckremes

It's really good to get an update. I appreciate the clarity and disclosure.
chuckremes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2013, 01:31 AM   #19
ulmus
Essential Contributor

I am using so called 'classic ui' for years with very tight compressed 'concise' style. Will calendar be in the classic or only in new UI?

Please, dont forget about 'classic' users... enhanced users like me
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:22 AM   #20
digp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
We're working hard on it! We're pushing for end of the year for Calendar and so far that's looking like a very achievable target.

A little more detail on progress. The UI is probably about 90% done and the API & middleware layer about the same. The Cyrus CalDAV code has been ported to Cyrus 2.5 but isn't stable yet.

In fact on Monday I'll be working with the devs to get the whole thing deployed to beta for FastMail staff to start serious testing (though nothing for you guys yet).

So yeah, getting close
& for contact sync?
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:34 AM   #21
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmus View Post
I am using so called 'classic ui' for years with very tight compressed 'concise' style. Will calendar be in the classic or only in new UI?

Please, dont forget about 'classic' users... enhanced users like me
Hello,

I was thinking the same thing too as well. I too basically only use the classic interface.

Based on past observations though NEW features are being geared towards the NEW UI and NOT the classic interface,

FM really wants people to use the NEW UI (even though FM is NOT coming out at the present time and stating this)

I may be wrong and only time will tell but don't be surprised if this is a NEW UI feature only.

David
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:43 AM   #22
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by digp View Post
& for contact sync?
CardDAV is next after calendar. It will reuse a good chunk of what we're building for CalDAV/calendar. I'd expect early next year, though I'm far less sure of that.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:45 AM   #23
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
At the moment we have no plans to do a calendar UI for Classic.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:46 AM   #24
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinwolfPA View Post
FM really wants people to use the NEW UI (even though FM is NOT coming out at the present time and stating this)
It seems fairly self-evident that we want people to use the modern UI. Why else would we have built it?
Old 17 Nov 2013, 08:04 AM   #25
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Because your customers and potential customers requested the changes?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2013, 08:25 AM   #26
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
That suggests that demand can cause us to do things that we don't want to do, which I don't think is the case. Demand might help to change our minds, after which point we do want to do it. If it doesn't change our minds, then we still don't do it.

I was responding to the assertion that we want people to use the Modern interface but aren't being upfront about that. I reject that. The Modern interface is the default, used by the vast majority of our customers, and for a great many of them is the only FastMail interface they've ever known. I don't believe its any secret that we want people to use it.

Lets stop now and not take this any further off topic. I probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 01:33 PM   #27
bluebit

Quote:
I was responding to the assertion that we want people to use the Modern interface but aren't being upfront about that. I reject that. The Modern interface is the default, used by the vast majority of our customers, and for a great many of them is the only FastMail interface they've ever known. I don't believe its any secret that we want people to use it.
I prefer the current interface over the Classic interface. I'm just waiting a contact sync and calendar feature until I switch from Google.
bluebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2013, 05:44 PM   #28
ulmus
Essential Contributor

Quote:
It seems fairly self-evident that we want people to use the modern UI. Why else would we have built it?
I would agree and would use it .... if it was better... it lacks so many usefull things... e.g. empty trash, spam folder on folder tree, select all in foder... theme is unusable in netbook (all items are spread all over the UI, i would like to have it condensed eg. like classic concile style) i could point lots of thing if i prepare for such mail discussion... realy lots of things...
you say it is modern ui but... what about context menus?
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2013, 06:30 AM   #29
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
... it lacks so many usefull things... e.g. empty trash, spam folder on folder tree, select all in foder... theme is unusable in netbook (all items are spread all over the UI, i would like to have it condensed eg. like classic concile style) ...?
The current interface (with different versions on desktops, pads, and small mobile devices) has changed dramatically in the past few weeks. Have you tried it recently?

In the Settings>Theme setup screen, you can choose between four themes, a fixed or floating (hidden unless needed) folder sidebar at the left, and use an optional reading pane at the right. On a PC with a large screen all of these screen elements are present, and you can drag the vertical dividing lines to change the with of the folder sidebar or reading pane. On an iPad and iPhone the layout changes when you rotate the device, and some features are not available.

You can choose to show or hide (or hide unless unread messages are present) any folder (including Spam) in the Settings>Folders setup screen.

The box at the top of the individual folder selection boxes toggles between selecting or deselecting all messages in that folder.

I use the current interface all the time on a desk PC (Windows 8.1), laptop PC (Windows 8.1), iPad (iOS 7.0.4), and iPhone (iOS 7.0.4). I find that the interface works pretty well on all of these devices.

I don't have a netbook, so can't comment in detail about those devices. The user interface attempts to size the screen operation for the display size of your device and browser. If you are having difficulty with the display on your device, you might let us know more or file a Fastmail support request.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2013, 05:23 PM   #30
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The current interface (with different versions on desktops, pads, and small mobile devices) has changed dramatically in the past few weeks. Have you tried it recently?
I'm desperately waiting on Save copy of attached message.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote